Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: KJcachers from VA say howdy!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Warrenton, VA
    Posts
    14

    Default KJcachers from VA say howdy!

    Howdy!
    We will be vacationing in New England in early June and wonder if there are any must find caches in southern Maine that we can add to our list? We are already planning on doing the oldest caches in each NE state as well as maybe an earthcache from each state. Share some good ones with us that we can make some memories with while in Maine!

    Karen and Jason (KJcachers)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,059

    Default

    Welcome to the site!
    What do you consider Southern Maine - How far north are you coming?

    For starters I always like to recommend What in the World Cache? (GC6D43) by Ghosthunter (2/1) for anyone coming to Maine. It's not an earthcache, but is of interest to most geocachers!
    Last edited by brdad; 05-20-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer,ME
    Posts
    2,574

    Default Oldest caches

    The New England Challenge (GC27MHQ) by Your New England Reviewers (2/3) is one you need to check out if you plan to visit all 6 of the oldest caches in New England.
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!


  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Warrenton, VA
    Posts
    14

    Default

    What in the World is on our list so we will be traveling at least that far north! LOL We also have the NE Challenge penciled in! I guess wwe should consider visiting DeLorme headquarters too since we are PN-40 users!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
    What in the World is on our list so we will be traveling at least that far north! LOL We also have the NE Challenge penciled in! I guess wwe should consider visiting DeLorme headquarters too since we are PN-40 users!
    Might as well, you'll be in the general vicinity!

    This is a southern earthcache I have wanted to visit since before it was and before there were earthcaches.

    Tidal EarthCache (GCCE8D) by TAT (1/1)
    Last edited by brdad; 05-21-2010 at 06:12 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Warrenton, VA
    Posts
    14

    Default

    On a side note, can anybody recommend a good campground in southern Maine as well? Something with clean,hot showers and a place to pitch a tent is all we need!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default Campground I'd highly recommend.

    Bradbury State Park in Pownal, about 10 minutes from LL Bean. Great place to stay, about 20 caches in the park, a decent mountain to climb, this place would be perfect for you.

    Enjoy your visit with us.



    Quote Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
    On a side note, can anybody recommend a good campground in southern Maine as well? Something with clean,hot showers and a place to pitch a tent is all we need!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Warrenton, VA
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Bradbury State Park in Pownal, about 10 minutes from LL Bean. Great place to stay, about 20 caches in the park, a decent mountain to climb, this place would be perfect for you.

    Enjoy your visit with us.
    Stayed at Bradbury for 1 night and hardly had any time to cache! We were planning on staying 2 nights but a few things made us pack up and leave early.
    1. Rain in the forcast for tonight and tomorrow and I didn't want to pack up in the rain. This was the main reason for leaving.
    2. our site seemed to be directly downwind of the pit toilets.
    3. The "firewood" we bought from the camp was just slab lumber that was still green and wet from an earlier rain and wouldn't burn well at all.
    4. Woke in the middle of the night to somebody puking in the toilet. So loud you could hear him around the whole camp!
    5. Workers running chainsaws in the area of the camp entrance.

    I still think this camp has potential and the trail systems looked great for caching/hiking but we really had to get out. Perhaps another time we will have a better outcome.

    Thanks again!
    Jason

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
    Stayed at Bradbury for 1 night and hardly had any time to cache! We were planning on staying 2 nights but a few things made us pack up and leave early.
    1. Rain in the forcast for tonight and tomorrow and I didn't want to pack up in the rain. This was the main reason for leaving.
    2. our site seemed to be directly downwind of the pit toilets.
    3. The "firewood" we bought from the camp was just slab lumber that was still green and wet from an earlier rain and wouldn't burn well at all.
    4. Woke in the middle of the night to somebody puking in the toilet. So loud you could hear him around the whole camp!
    5. Workers running chainsaws in the area of the camp entrance.

    I still think this camp has potential and the trail systems looked great for caching/hiking but we really had to get out. Perhaps another time we will have a better outcome.

    Thanks again!
    Jason
    At Camp Jakeawana we pride ourselves in offering a unique camping experience for all of our campers and that's why we say "Camp Jakeawana is a camping experience like no other" -- it's even on our brochures!

    We promise that it will never rain at Camp Jakeawana . . . or at least we'll never get wet if it rains . . . of course that could be due to the fact that we're in a house with a roof over our heads.

    No pit toilets here . . . our bathhouse (located next to the camp store with a fully stocked refrigerator with cold beer and softdrinks) is clean, comfortable and heated (in season) . . . and we even provide free reading materials.

    At Camp Jakeawana we provide all the seasoned wood you would ever need for free . . . we even feature "diesel wood" -- wood that is all natural, but burns as if it were soaked in diesel . . . this is a Camp Jakeawana exclusive. At Camp Jakeawana we love wood and it shows.

    Camp Jakeawana prides itself on offering a family-like atmosphere . . . folks may come here as strangers, but they leave as friends. About the only puking going on is when the camp owner attempts to make Saudi Arabian garlic mint meatballs . . . an experience he doesn't care to repeat anytime soon.

    While we will not have our camp employees sawing up wood in the early morning hours, there is a chance the owner may leave camp early with your breakfast . . .
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Warrenton, VA
    Posts
    14

    Default

    you know I think I actually looked at that campground on line already! Probably going to be the place for us! thanks for the tip!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •