vb:literal>

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Question just for fun...

By quality, I was referring to unique, well thought out, and well maintained. I don't think that just because a hider is limited to one cache that all roadside, grc, and lpc caches would be gone, nor should they be.

As far as getting bored, if you started in 2001 maybe you would have gotten bored and left. Many did. I started in June of 2002 and there were 145 active caches. I cached my ass off and never got bored. They were not all in the woods. Oddly enough, the percentage of D/T ratings were very similar to today's caches. Some caches were great, some were less so, but it was still great to get out. And I never got my unfound Maine caches down to less than 80. At that point I thought I might be able to get them all. But the caches started coming in 2003 so quick no one could have kept up with it. While 2 or 3 cachers might cache the state dry, I'd bet if we started at 7-800 (as this thread's topic suggests) and increased accordingly, most cachers would always have caches to find. Maybe they would not be able to run out and drive .3 miles from home and get one, and maybe they would not get more than 25 or so in a day, but I think there would be plenty of caches to keep the majority occupied.

I do think caches can show a hiders persona. Laughing Terry has many fun and clever hides. Cano loves his puzzles. Groleau loves the physical challenge. Hollora, Cameo, and Becket showed their compassion with the Maine Rose Series. EmsDaniel loves his little critters. Northwoods Explorer loves Geology. And the list goes on. I'm sure not everyone sees any value in this aspect of a cache, but Lee and myself both like it when a cache reflects on the hider.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-22-2010 at 03:05 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Di and I did one of the St. Lucia caches. Pretty island but they need more caches!

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Then why don't you move to Haiti or st Lucia? They both have just two geocaches in whole country. You would love geocaching there :P I have been geocaching in both and it sucks.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default Our Favorite

It would have to be our 3 Mile Pond Hike, Kayak or Whatever Cache. It's the only 5.0 terrain we've put out so far but the most fun is that it's located about 70 feet from the chair I'm sitting in so we can watch cachers struggle to figure it out.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    It would have to be our 3 Mile Pond Hike, Kayak or Whatever Cache. It's the only 5.0 terrain we've put out so far but the most fun is that it's located about 70 feet from the chair I'm sitting in so we can watch cachers struggle to figure it out.
    Lee got the ok from her doc to kayak, so we're hoping to get out and do some kayak caches in the near future. We have a lot of non-caching duties on the upcoming calendar, however.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I'm sure not everyone sees any value in this aspect of a cache, but Lee and myself both like it when a cache reflects on the hider.
    Sheesh! Am I supposed to be embarrassed by the fact that all our caches are "BIG"? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    By quality, I was referring to unique, well thought out, and well maintained. I don't think that just because a hider is limited to one cache that all roadside, grc, and lpc caches would be gone, nor should they be.

As far as getting bored, if you started in 2001 maybe you would have gotten bored and left. Many did. I started in June of 2002 and there were 145 active caches. I cached my ass off and never got bored. They were not all in the woods. Oddly enough, the percentage of D/T ratings were very similar to today's caches. Some caches were great, some were less so, but it was still great to get out. And I never got my unfound Maine caches down to less than 80. At that point I thought I might be able to get them all. But the caches started coming in 2003 so quick no one could have kept up with it. While 2 or 3 cachers might cache the state dry, I'd bet if we started at 7-800 (as this thread's topic suggests) and increased accordingly, most cachers would always have caches to find. Maybe they would not be able to run out and drive .3 miles from home and get one, and maybe they would not get more than 25 or so in a day, but I think there would be plenty of caches to keep the majority occupied.

I do think caches can show a hiders persona. Laughing Terry has many fun and clever hides. Cano loves his puzzles. Groleau loves the physical challenge. Hollora, Cameo, and Becket showed their compassion with the Maine Rose Series. EmsDaniel loves his little critters. Northwoods Explorer loves Geology. And the list goes on. I'm sure not everyone sees any value in this aspect of a cache, but Lee and myself both like it when a cache reflects on the hider.
    Noticed that Brdad did get some of my hides when he was down here, but for some reason limited to the hides that by his definition were not quality hides. I have some very HIGH quality hides that he totally ignored....very odd don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! Am I supposed to be embarrassed by the fact that all our caches are "BIG"? LOL!
    Are you trying to make up for some other "personal" short coming?

Default Fort Sumner Park, or Standpipe Park, GC1B57Z

This cache is one of my favorites. As I was admiring the view of the back cove area in Portland from Sheridan Street, I decided to place a guardrail cache from a spot that gave a great view. As I was averaging the coordinates, I heard voices coming from above and behind me. I turned and saw two women leaning against a fence straight up a steep hill about 45 feet higher.

I grabbed the cache and drove up to North Street and found a delightful park with spectacular views of Portland. I had lived in the area more than 20 years and had no idea this park existed. The logs indicate taht I am not the only local who was unaware of this park! I am so glad those women spoke loudly that day!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...2-998a50e7306f

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    This one was a blast! Liked it so much I brought the kids back the next day so Joey could make the find.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    . I choose not to limit my enjoyment to such a strict boring criteria.

I'm not so sure we need more people hiding caches. Using GSAK I see many many caches that have been put out, quality or not that need attention and the hider is long gone and the cache is trash.

I'm not sure I can see anything reflecting the persona of anyone by placing an ammo can on top of some old mountain, or placing an ammo can under a rock at the edge of some old pond. Big whoop. Can't believe I'm going to say this... put a nano in a statue in a park with all the history surrounding you. Put a micro in a tree along a great dirt road in the woods take brings you out to an area that you might never go and each time you stop you get to see something different. Now thats interesting, intriguing, fun and adventurous.

Nature, bah!

Really, quality is subjective. I see quality and adventure in each cache. I just wish everyone could enjoy this sport as much as I do.
    I agree Mike! Its a good thing BRDad isn't running the show

Where the hell is that thing?