vb:literal>

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Question just for fun...

Wink I will interject to all the recent posts in one log....

JAKE!! What happened during the Star Wars Series was supposed to STAY there....SHeesh!!

Dave, Sorry.. I too am with Chadd on the 100 stage multi. I wouldn't do it. Not that it's about the number. OK it is about the numbers.

Chadd, SW like the SMR have their place in the caching world of 2010. I did them and I would do it again if I had it to do over again. You and Mike as well as the four who placed the car series put a lot of effort into them.

Whether I place 100 caches all over the state on in a line. I don't see a whole lot of difference. I know when the puppies came out a few years back there were some cachers who said they wouldn't do them. I asked why and the answer was " Well because they aren't a challenge". OK so you're saying you don't do ANY guardrails then. "Well no". I see... It still comes down to play the game your own way. Filter out what you don't care to do and find the rest. There are 5900+ caches in Maine as of this morning. I'm sure we can satisfy most everyone with something they like.

OK Done Now...
    Happy Trails!

I may just have to hide a 100 stage multi now just to see who will do it!

As I said before, 100 stages is a lot. There are several multis with 40 or so stages. I remember Monster Nightmare being a bit of a disappointment, there was just way too much driving and back and forth. There is a limit for everyone.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-24-2010 at 03:20 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    GC13X0D RFD Cache, One of the best I have found yet!
    Thanks Lex . . . you made my day!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    I still havent seen the photos of you all dressed as Star Wars characters....
    You'll have to see if Hiram Solo will release the photos . . . he still hasn't shown me the photos of the day either even though I've attempted to use my Jedi powers on him . . . apparently his mind is not as weak as I thought.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    After reading the description.... was this, or was this not designed for Lexmano especially?
    I'm not sure . . . what does Lexmano do for a career?

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    See, I don't think that is true. Some people would not do it, but there are some choosing not to do these series, either. When I placed Battleship, I feared no one would look for it either. I even got a few emails asking what the &%$@#&% was I thinking. But as they say, hide it and they will come. And they have. Maybe only 93, but those 93 have visited as many as 2418 locations to log those 93 finds.

Now I will admit, 100 stages is a lot, but four 25 stage multis would attract many I think. It would not attract cachers from afar to run up, find the caches and leave town for the numbers. but it would attract plenty of cachers I am sure. The Bangor area has several extensive multis which have several finds and good logs.

You definitely would not get as many found logs on a large multi than you would individual caches. But you would know then they came for the cache and not just to get a smiley.
    Dave I tend to agree with you on many points . . . but I would respectfully submit that there is a difference between your Battleship Cache series and doing a 100 or even 25-stage multi.

With the Battleship Cache series you take us to places where we answer questions . . . for the most part the information we find at these places will not be muggled or easily changed unless they replace the plaque, knock down a building, etc. vs. a multi-stage where there is a much greater chance of having a stage muggled.

The other issue is as I mentioned earlier . . . if you're doing your Battleship cache series it is not necessary to find each and every stage to complete this puzzle (although it may be fun to do so) vs. a multi-stage cache series where if one cache is MIA or cannot be found that's the end of the caching for that series.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    JAKE!! What happened during the Star Wars Series was supposed to STAY there....SHeesh!!

Sorry Obi Wan Maniac-obi . . . lured to the dark side of the force I was -- strong is the dark side.

P.S. I still have your light saber if you ever need it.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I may just have to hide a 100 stage multi now just to see who will do it!

As I said before, 100 stages is a lot. There are several multis with 40 or so stages. I remember Monster Nightmare being a bit of a disappointment, there was just way too much driving and back and forth. There is a limit for everyone.
    I think this illustrates a point being made Dave . . . folks reach a point where it is too much . . . I know I started this and stopped . . . and other cachers were telling me to simply skip it . . . to the point where they gave me rough directions as to where to look for the final cache.

There has to be a suitable "reward" and when it comes to doing the 100+ power runs, like it or not, the reward for some folks is getting a whole bunch of Smileys . . . at least that may be the initial motivation . . . doing it with other cachers and having a fun day is what makes the experience memorable.

I don't believe you would be able to get as many folks motivated to do a 100-stage multi as the initial reward just wouldn't be there . . . sure, it may be a fun experience to do it with a bunch of friends, but just convincing folks to start the cache series would be a challenge . . . and knowing that if just one single cache is DNFed would spell the end of finding the final cache (after having driven a long distance) would most certainly lead many folks to never start the cache.

That is true, I intentionally used virtual stages for Battleship because I didn't want a maintenance nightmare. There were other reasons which are no longer valid due to gc.com guidelines changes, but that is beside the point.

I think that is probably one of the major reasons both Lee and myself like the multis. We like the risk of not finding one of the stages; one find on a 10 stage multi is more adventuresome to us than 10 'guaranteed' finds. To each his own here, but I will still maintain the comparable multi will more often than not create more memories - But less smileys!

This whole multi discussion actually brings up another thought. If a person were only able to hide one a year, there might be more multis because a hider could have several hides that way; a loophole of sorts. But if all or most hid multis for that reason, people probably would lose interest. Variety is key.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post

Dave, Sorry.. I too am with Chadd on the 100 stage multi. I wouldn't do it. Not that it's about the number. OK it is about the numbers.

Chadd, SW like the SMR have their place in the caching world of 2010. I did them and I would do it again if I had it to do over again. You and Mike as well as the four who placed the car series put a lot of effort into them.

Whether I place 100 caches all over the state on in a line. I don't see a whole lot of difference. I know when the puppies came out a few years back there were some cachers who said they wouldn't do them. I asked why and the answer was " Well because they aren't a challenge". OK so you're saying you don't do ANY guardrails then. "Well no". I see... It still comes down to play the game your own way. Filter out what you don't care to do and find the rest. There are 5900+ caches in Maine as of this morning. I'm sure we can satisfy most everyone with something they like.

OK Done Now...
    Glad we are back to agreeing again, Brad! ;-)

I myself have various kinds of caches. I don't think any one type of hide personifies my cache hiding style. As I said, I look at my Star Wars series, Mikes SMR and the new run in Central Maine as giant 100+ stage event-multis! Only each cache counts as a seperate find... and when I say event, I say that because we get the most enjoyment out of doing them when we do them as a team, or a group of cachers and make an "event" out of it, just as you, Hiram, FirefighterJake and Connie did when you came down to my area for Star Wars, and just as Marcipanek, Jessyka59 and I did when we did SMR! Those series' really are not that fun if you aren't doing them as a group...