Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 117

Thread: Question just for fun...

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade, Maine
    Posts
    953

    Default What are you trying to infer?

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! Anyone who has done more than one of LT's caches knows that they definitely stand alone! LOL!
    Are you trying to say something about LT's hygene?

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! Anyone who has done more than one of LT's caches knows that they definitely stand alone! LOL!
    Yeah, he'd never hide a STOP & grab Lame Micro!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    The sad part about this question is that if this was the case, we'd only have maybe 35 caches in all of Maine for the first year! It seems that the same old cachers are the ones placing and maintaining all the hides...
    How very true . . . not to get off topic too much, but one of my pet peeves has always been folks with a bazillion finds and zero cache hides.

    I will admit after having put out several caches in the past few years I was a bit lax last year, but was motivated to go out and place three new caches not long ago (and I have plans for more) thanks in no small part to SMR, Dubord and Mapachi's Car Series . . .
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    If a cache has 2 consecutive DNF's, we don't even bother with it.
    I typically do the same . . . and as a cache hider if I fiind a cache of my own with two or more DNFs I typically will go out and check to see if the cache is there or not.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  5. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    See, this is where I think the difference is, correct me if I am wrong. I am guessing most of these caches stand on their own. If you were to do only one of them, you would be satisfied. If LT were allowed to hide only one of these a year, you'd be happy to do them anyway.

    I know there are some cachers out there that cannot be satisfied unless they have found 25 or more in a day, and there are some caches out there that would be less than interesting for most unless you find 25 or more of them in a day.

    Some caches are simply not designed to stand alone. I'm guessing most of the Star Wars series are like that. If I was to drive from Bangor to find only one, I'd probably be dissatisfied. It's obvious they were not placed to be found alone. There is nothing wrong with that, but for me I prefer caches that can stand alone, even if I get 25 of them in a day.

    It sounds like the auto series might have stepped it up a notch and LT's may have stepped it up another notch. Someday I'll do a few of many or all of the series and know better.
    Brdad, you are entirely correct, the Star Wars series, just like The Stud Mill series and I am sure the Central Maine Power run are not meant to stand alone as individual caches. It is about the entire experience. I have told many cachers, including Kacky when I did the PodCache with her last winter, that I like to view these power runs as Stand Alone Caches of their own... meaning that the entire series is one big cache. Make any sense?

    As far as my other caches, the two I mentioned in the start of this thread are ones I would advise even you would enjoy. Just read the logs!

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Brdad, you are entirely correct, the Star Wars series, just like The Stud Mill series and I am sure the Central Maine Power run are not meant to stand alone as individual caches. It is about the entire experience. I have told many cachers, including Kacky when I did the PodCache with her last winter, that I like to view these power runs as Stand Alone Caches of their own... meaning that the entire series is one big cache. Make any sense?

    As far as my other caches, the two I mentioned in the start of this thread are ones I would advise even you would enjoy. Just read the logs!
    You make an excellent point . . . two excellent points in fact. And I agree . . . the series you mentioned are not really, truly designed to be stand alone caches -- quite frankly most of these would have bored me if I just went out and did a few at a time . . .

    And your second point to which I also agree . . . they really are about the experience . . . it's about dressing up as Star Wars characters with friends . . . it's about hanging out with folks you rarely see and bombing on down the Stud Mill Road . . . it's about remembering cars you and your friends have driven or owned . . . unlike some caching experiences, these series are different as it is experienced driven (and infinitely more fun with friends) vs. having the thrill of the hunt.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    And to get back to the original thread.

    I don't know if I could single out one cache . . . with only a few exceptions I like all of mine . . . and for many different reasons.

    Some offer some great historical aspects (Before Lizzie Borden), some offer great views (I've Found My Thrill), some showcase a bit of my humor (Firefighterjake's Future Home), some offer a challenge to the searcher (Out Behind the School, Brier's Beach) and some are designed as very personal reminders (Out of the Ashes.)

    This past year I had to archive a cache . . . the first time for me. It wasn't one of my most favorite caches, but I have to tell you I felt a bit sad to have to do so . . . then again, I kind of had to since it had been bulldozed and was 100 yards away from its original placement . . . under who knows how many tons of dirt, stumps and rocks.

    No, I'm afraid I can't pick just one . . . and am glad we are not limited to putting out just a single cache every year.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Brdad, you are entirely correct, the Star Wars series, just like The Stud Mill series and I am sure the Central Maine Power run are not meant to stand alone as individual caches. It is about the entire experience. I have told many cachers, including Kacky when I did the PodCache with her last winter, that I like to view these power runs as Stand Alone Caches of their own... meaning that the entire series is one big cache. Make any sense?
    That's exactly what I am getting at, I am glad to see we can agree on something.

    So here is another take on that. If these series as a whole are designed to be viewed as a stand alone, why not make it a 100 stage multi? It's original (well, it has been done but is uncommon worldwide). That one multi most likely will get a much better log, and it will most likely not be a serial log. The cache will be remembered as and referred to as a single cache. People who take the time to do the cache will do so for the challenge and less for the numbers.

    My Battleship cache is a great example. Up to 26 stages, many of which would make lesser quality caches if they were individual caches. The final is in a decent but not spectacular spot, the hide is somewhat unique but forgettable for some if it was a stand alone cache. As a whole, however, I think the cache is more memorable because it is unique.

    I know many people dislike multis, but shouldn't a cacher or group be able to have as much fun spending 8 hours on a 100 stage multi as they do 100 individual caches? Unless they are driven solely by the numbers, of course which some are though we don't really have any hard core ones locally.

    Personally I'd rather find the 100 stage multi, especially if the final was at a nice spot with a decent size container. I know I'd write a better log! Maintenance would be a bit easier, too - only one cache page to disable/edit/get logs from!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  9. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    How very true . . . not to get off topic too much, but one of my pet peeves has always been folks with a bazillion finds and zero cache hides.

    I will admit after having put out several caches in the past few years I was a bit lax last year, but was motivated to go out and place three new caches not long ago (and I have plans for more) thanks in no small part to SMR, Dubord and Mapachi's Car Series . . .

    I am glad my Star Wars Series meant no motivation..... ;-)

  10. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    That's exactly what I am getting at, I am glad to see we can agree on something.

    So here is another take on that. If these series as a whole are designed to be viewed as a stand alone, why not make it a 100 stage multi? It's original (well, it has been done but is uncommon worldwide). That one multi most likely will get a much better log, and it will most likely not be a serial log. The cache will be remembered as and referred to as a single cache. People who take the time to do the cache will do so for the challenge and less for the numbers.

    My Battleship cache is a great example. Up to 26 stages, many of which would make lesser quality caches if they were individual caches. The final is in a decent but not spectacular spot, the hide is somewhat unique but forgettable for some if it was a stand alone cache. As a whole, however, I think the cache is more memorable because it is unique.

    I know many people dislike multis, but shouldn't a cacher or group be able to have as much fun spending 8 hours on a 100 stage multi as they do 100 individual caches? Unless they are driven solely by the numbers, of course which some are though we don't really have any hard core ones locally.

    Personally I'd rather find the 100 stage multi, especially if the final was at a nice spot with a decent size container. I know I'd write a better log! Maintenance would be a bit easier, too - only one cache page to disable/edit/get logs from!
    Because only one person would ever do a 100 stage multi. That would be the FTF. Personally, I would never do a 100 stage Multi... heck I don't do all that many multis myself! The experience of doing this kind of series is also fun because you get over 100 finds for your find count on GC.com when you do it. No one would come out to spend an entire day doing 100 finds if it only counted as 1 on GC.com. And heck it would take up way too much prime cache hiding spots. At least with this series of mine, I can archive an individual cache to make room for someone else to place something if they want.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •