vb:literal>

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Question just for fun...

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    You make an excellent point . . . two excellent points in fact. And I agree . . . the series you mentioned are not really, truly designed to be stand alone caches -- quite frankly most of these would have bored me if I just went out and did a few at a time . . .

And your second point to which I also agree . . . they really are about the experience . . . it's about dressing up as Star Wars characters with friends . . . it's about hanging out with folks you rarely see and bombing on down the Stud Mill Road . . . it's about remembering cars you and your friends have driven or owned . . . unlike some caching experiences, these series are different as it is experienced driven (and infinitely more fun with friends) vs. having the thrill of the hunt.
    I still havent seen the photos of you all dressed as Star Wars characters....

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    I am glad my Star Wars Series meant no motivation..... ;-)
    Hehheh . . . no disrespect was intended . . . the motivation came from the fact that a bunch of local cachers had put out a bunch of caches and it spurred me to put out some caches for them to find . . . figured it wasn't fair for them to put out a bunch of caches and not have others put out caches for them to find.

As for inspiration . . . I tell ya . . . if you ever get to see the pics taken on the day we were down in your galaxy you would get a kick out of them -- there's nothing quite like seeing an overweight, bespectacled and balding middle-age guy wandering around the woods in a bathrobe while carrying a florescent orage broomstick while all the time claiming that the force is strong with him.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Because only one person would ever do a 100 stage multi. That would be the FTF. Personally, I would never do a 100 stage Multi... heck I don't do all that many multis myself! The experience of doing this kind of series is also fun because you get over 100 finds for your find count on GC.com when you do it. No one would come out to spend an entire day doing 100 finds if it only counted as 1 on GC.com. And heck it would take up way too much prime cache hiding spots. At least with this series of mine, I can archive an individual cache to make room for someone else to place something if they want.
    Again, gotta agree with Chadd on this one . . . I doubt as many folks would make the trek down to the SW caches or up to the SMR caches for a 100-stage multi . . . like it or not many folks don't particularly care for multi-stage caches . . . even when it's only two or three stages, much less 100.

As an added potential negative . . . with that many stages all you need is to not find one cache and the whole day is kablooey since you can't progress to the next stage . . . not to mention how challenging it would be to maintain that many stages.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default My favorite FFJ cache!

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    And to get back to the original thread.

I don't know if I could single out one cache . . . with only a few exceptions I like all of mine . . . and for many different reasons.

Some offer some great historical aspects (Before Lizzie Borden), some offer great views (I've Found My Thrill), some showcase a bit of my humor (Firefighterjake's Future Home), some offer a challenge to the searcher (Out Behind the School, Brier's Beach) and some are designed as very personal reminders (Out of the Ashes.)

This past year I had to archive a cache . . . the first time for me. It wasn't one of my most favorite caches, but I have to tell you I felt a bit sad to have to do so . . . then again, I kind of had to since it had been bulldozed and was 100 yards away from its original placement . . . under who knows how many tons of dirt, stumps and rocks.

No, I'm afraid I can't pick just one . . . and am glad we are not limited to putting out just a single cache every year.
    GC13X0D RFD Cache, One of the best I have found yet!

Because only one person would ever do a 100 stage multi. That would be the FTF. Personally, I would never do a 100 stage Multi... heck I don't do all that many multis myself! The experience of doing this kind of series is also fun because you get over 100 finds for your find count on GC.com when you do it. No one would come out to spend an entire day doing 100 finds if it only counted as 1 on GC.com. And heck it would take up way too much prime cache hiding spots. At least with this series of mine, I can archive an individual cache to make room for someone else to place something if they want.
    See, I don't think that is true. Some people would not do it, but there are some choosing not to do these series, either. When I placed Battleship, I feared no one would look for it either. I even got a few emails asking what the &%$@#&% was I thinking. But as they say, hide it and they will come. And they have. Maybe only 93, but those 93 have visited as many as 2418 locations to log those 93 finds.

Now I will admit, 100 stages is a lot, but four 25 stage multis would attract many I think. It would not attract cachers from afar to run up, find the caches and leave town for the numbers. but it would attract plenty of cachers I am sure. The Bangor area has several extensive multis which have several finds and good logs.

You definitely would not get as many found logs on a large multi than you would individual caches. But you would know then they came for the cache and not just to get a smiley.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-24-2010 at 11:52 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    GC13X0D RFD Cache, One of the best I have found yet!
    After reading the description.... was this, or was this not designed for Lexmano especially?

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    See, I don't think that is true. Some people would not do it, but there are some choosing not to do these series, either. When I placed Battleship, I feared no one would look for it either. I even got a few emails asking what the &%$@#&% was I thinking. But as they say, hide it and they will come. And they have. Maybe only 93, but those 93 have visited as many as 2418 locations to log those 93 finds.

Now I will admit, 100 stages is a lot, but four 25 stage multis would attract many I think. It would not attract cachers from afar to run up, find the caches and leave town for the numbers. but it would attract plenty of cachers I am sure. The Bangor area has several extensive multis which have several finds and good logs.

You definitely would not get as many found logs on a large multi than you would individual caches. But you would know then they came for the cache and not just to get a smiley.
    I'd like to know who is choosing NOT to come do these power run series? Well, aside from Brdad....

Have people come from other countries to do Battleship specifically? Or how about from 10-12 hours away, just to do yours? I get a few emails a week from people as far away as D.C. and Ohio who are planning to come to Maine to do the power runs and have questions about both my series and SMR. And they actually do come.... and you should read their logs...

As far as it being about the numbers...? Yup, it is and anyone who claims it isn't is full of crap. If it isn't about the numbers then why do we log our cache finds, and why does Geocaching.com post our numbers for all to see?

I'd like to know who is choosing NOT to come do these power run series? Well, aside from Brdad....

Have people come from other countries to do Battleship specifically? Or how about from 10-12 hours away, just to do yours? I get a few emails a week from people as far away as D.C. and Ohio who are planning to come to Maine to do the power runs and have questions about both my series and SMR. And they actually do come.... and you should read their logs...

As far as it being about the numbers...? Yup, it is and anyone who claims it isn't is full of crap. If it isn't about the numbers then why do we log our cache finds, and why does Geocaching.com post our numbers for all to see?
    An estimated 3-4 million cachers worldwide. Subtract how many cachers found your caches last week and that's how many avoided your caches last week.

I have had a few come from afar to do my caches, but I think they came to meet me as well (Check the 8/24/03 log by Planet from CT). A few others were vacationing here and when I mentioned a few of my caches, they made a point to try and get one or two. I will say six other cachers that I am aware of liked my Battleship idea and asked permission to place clones of it, two in Canada and one in the UK. Battleship Clones Bookmark List. I think that says something, as do the logs on those caches.

I am agreeing with you, of course the possibility of getting 100 finds is going to attract more cachers than one multi. But the number of finds does not describe a cache. More people drink beer than Moxie, but that doesn't mean Moxie isn't better, because it is!

The only reason the numbers are posted on our gc.com pages is that there is no other option (short of not logging online, which many more than we think do). Check the national forums, there have been several attempts by cachers asking gc.com for the ability to hide their numbers and finds from the public's view. I know of a few cachers out west - where the numbers game was killing their fun - who edited their 2000+ found logs and changed them all to notes. If I was to start over, I would only log a smiley on the caches I would recommend to someone else. And I am too anal to change mid-stream, and too lazy to go back and edit! Maybe there should be 'found it' logs as well as 'found it and loved it' logs!

I do like MY numbers. Not the acquisition of numbers, and not the amount of numbers, but I do like to know how many I have done and where I have been. I love to look at my statistics and see what percentages I have and how many miles I have traveled and what elevations I have finds at. But I don't care if you have 100 or 10,000, and I don't care to have mine compared to yours. and before I get the question why do I have stats listed on my profile, it is because I help people off and on with that macro and placed it as a test. You can also note sometimes the numbers are skewed.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-24-2010 at 02:55 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

By the way, it's good to see a discussion go on where the people will most likely never agree, but no one has to get wound up about it.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

WhereRWe? and RULost2?