Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Night Cache Placement Guidelines?

  1. #1

    Default Night Cache Placement Guidelines?

    Can one of you point me in the correct direction for Groundspeak's Guidelines concerning the placing of a night cache? IE a cache in which you need to follow fire tacks or other reflective thing to the GZ?

    Thanks....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    I don't think there are any specific guidelines that apply to night caches. However, regular guidelines would apply, mainly that there is permission to be at the location at night and the guidelines that say you can't "deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method" - it's a bit of a stretch that fire tacks would be against that guideline, but if you had permission from the property owner I think you'd have a good case.

    Usually with these types of caches the more information and proof of permission you can provide the better! Sending me $50 might help as well....
    Last edited by brdad; 05-25-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I don't think there are any specific guidelines that apply to night caches. However, regular guidelines would apply, mainly that there is permission to be at the location at night and the guidelines that say you can't "deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method" - it's a bit of a stretch that fire tacks would be against that guideline, but if you had permission from the property owner I think you'd have a good case.
    I agree. Good answer Brdad.

    But can anyone of you point me in the correct direction for Groundspeak's Guidelines concerning the placing of a guardrail cache?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I agree. Good answer Brdad.

    But can anyone of you point me in the correct direction for Groundspeak's Guidelines concerning the placing of a guardrail cache?
    It is odd they specifically mention caches on Mars, but fail to mention guardrails!

    I still find it hard to believe many GRCs would be allowed if proof of permission was required for them. However, I know a few have been given permission so perhaps I am wrong. A few guard rails are just not a great place to be placing caches IMO. One of my favorite GRCs, 101 DALMATIANS #66 (DAMIEN) (GCWF4H) by Cache Maine (1/1) is a great view, but scary to be standing there with the summer traffic whizzing around the corner.

    And maybe I am wrong since I have not heard of any cacher getting hit at a guardrail, but I read one local GRC log where a car swerved around a cacher enough to break the side mirror off an oncoming car.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-25-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  5. #5

    Default

    I saw that Mars reference today as I was perusing the official "guidelines"..... are they freakin high at Groundspeak?

    Thanks for your assistance Brdad.... I will have to cross all of my t's and dot all my i's with this cache I guess, but I will make it a good one with a micro final in a guardrail after all that hard work in the dark ha ha

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    It is odd they specifically mention caches on Mars, but fail to mention guardrails!

    I still find it hard to believe many GRCs would be allowed if proof of permission was required for them. However, I know a few have been given permission so perhaps I am wrong. A few guard rails are just not a great place to be placing caches IMO. One of my favorite GRCs, 101 DALMATIANS #66 (DAMIEN) (GCWF4H) by Cache Maine (1/1) is a great view, but scary to be standing there with the summer traffic whizzing around the corner.

    And maybe I am wrong since I have not heard of any cacher getting hit at a guardrail, but I read one local GRC log where a car swerved around a cacher enough to break the side mirror off an oncoming car.
    Aren't guardrails put in place by the government, more specifically public works departments, and owned and maintained by them? And come to think of it, the towns own the right of way several feet on the side of public roads hence making these all public property, open to caches without having written permission of a property owner?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Aren't guardrails put in place by the government, more specifically public works departments, and owned and maintained by them? And come to think of it, the towns own the right of way several feet on the side of public roads hence making these all public property, open to caches without having written permission of a property owner?
    I imagine the towns (or state) own (or at minimal have control/right of way over) the land the guardrails are on, maybe the guardrails as well. I do know in the cases where I heard permission was given for a GRC, it was from the MDOT.

    Either way, public property does not constitute permission.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I imagine the towns (or state) own (or at minimal have control/right of way over) the land the guardrails are on, maybe the guardrails as well. I do know in the cases where I heard permission was given for a GRC, it was from the MDOT.

    Either way, public property does not constitute permission.
    Actually, it does. I pay taxes. I am the public. I give myself permission to place my cache on the property of the political municipality that owns said property due to the fact that I pay taxes. Simple as that...

    .... and besides, you may of one GRC that had permission, but tell me, how many don't?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Actually, it does. I pay taxes. I am the public. I give myself permission to place my cache on the property of the political municipality that owns said property due to the fact that I pay taxes. Simple as that...

    .... and besides, you may of one GRC that had permission, but tell me, how many don't?
    Yeah, our taxes pay for fighter jets too, but every time I try to get into the base to fly one, they make me go home.

    I am assuming very few GRCs have individual permission. And it is probable that the gc.com guidelines requiring "adequate permission" is good enough for most GRCs. But I would bet you - if a cacher were to get hit by a car while doing a GRC, many if not all GRCs would be banned.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Yeah, our taxes pay for fighter jets too, but every time I try to get into the base to fly one, they make me go home.

    I am assuming very few GRCs have individual permission. And it is probable that the gc.com guidelines requiring "adequate permission" is good enough for most GRCs. But I would bet you - if a cacher were to get hit by a car while doing a GRC, many if not all GRCs would be banned.
    I doubt that many if all GRCs would be banned if a cacher got hit by a car... remember, cachers assume all risk and liability for seeking a cache. So... using your point, then could we say that if a cacher has a tree fall on him deep in the woods while seeking one your Brdad's caches, then all ammo cans deep in the woods will be banned?

    There are instances in any placement, that there is the chance that someone will get hurt seeking that cache, minor injury or serious injury and I don't think that Groundspeak would outlaw a certain type of hide due to injury or accident. If this was so, they wouldn't allow caches such as my GC21KNP , or the recently published GC28N8G.

    What about when a cacher who is seeking a water access only cache via kayak has his boat capsize and dies? Will Groundspeak outlaw any caches that you need a boat to get to GZ? Doubtful. Sorry but your logic doesn't hold up.

    And as far as comparing guardrails and F-16s, there is no comparison so don't even start...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •