vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Cache Placement Guidelines?

Hybrid View

Default Night Cache Placement Guidelines?

Can one of you point me in the correct direction for Groundspeak's Guidelines concerning the placing of a night cache? IE a cache in which you need to follow fire tacks or other reflective thing to the GZ?

Thanks....

I don't think there are any specific guidelines that apply to night caches. However, regular guidelines would apply, mainly that there is permission to be at the location at night and the guidelines that say you can't "deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method" - it's a bit of a stretch that fire tacks would be against that guideline, but if you had permission from the property owner I think you'd have a good case.

Usually with these types of caches the more information and proof of permission you can provide the better! Sending me $50 might help as well....
    Last edited by brdad; 05-25-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I don't think there are any specific guidelines that apply to night caches. However, regular guidelines would apply, mainly that there is permission to be at the location at night and the guidelines that say you can't "deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method" - it's a bit of a stretch that fire tacks would be against that guideline, but if you had permission from the property owner I think you'd have a good case.
    I agree. Good answer Brdad.

But can anyone of you point me in the correct direction for Groundspeak's Guidelines concerning the placing of a guardrail cache?

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I agree. Good answer Brdad.

But can anyone of you point me in the correct direction for Groundspeak's Guidelines concerning the placing of a guardrail cache?
    It is odd they specifically mention caches on Mars, but fail to mention guardrails!

I still find it hard to believe many GRCs would be allowed if proof of permission was required for them. However, I know a few have been given permission so perhaps I am wrong. A few guard rails are just not a great place to be placing caches IMO. One of my favorite GRCs, 101 DALMATIANS #66 (DAMIEN) (GCWF4H) by Cache Maine (1/1) is a great view, but scary to be standing there with the summer traffic whizzing around the corner.

And maybe I am wrong since I have not heard of any cacher getting hit at a guardrail, but I read one local GRC log where a car swerved around a cacher enough to break the side mirror off an oncoming car.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-25-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    It is odd they specifically mention caches on Mars, but fail to mention guardrails!

I still find it hard to believe many GRCs would be allowed if proof of permission was required for them. However, I know a few have been given permission so perhaps I am wrong. A few guard rails are just not a great place to be placing caches IMO. One of my favorite GRCs, 101 DALMATIANS #66 (DAMIEN) (GCWF4H) by Cache Maine (1/1) is a great view, but scary to be standing there with the summer traffic whizzing around the corner.

And maybe I am wrong since I have not heard of any cacher getting hit at a guardrail, but I read one local GRC log where a car swerved around a cacher enough to break the side mirror off an oncoming car.
    Aren't guardrails put in place by the government, more specifically public works departments, and owned and maintained by them? And come to think of it, the towns own the right of way several feet on the side of public roads hence making these all public property, open to caches without having written permission of a property owner?

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Aren't guardrails put in place by the government, more specifically public works departments, and owned and maintained by them? And come to think of it, the towns own the right of way several feet on the side of public roads hence making these all public property, open to caches without having written permission of a property owner?
    I imagine the towns (or state) own (or at minimal have control/right of way over) the land the guardrails are on, maybe the guardrails as well. I do know in the cases where I heard permission was given for a GRC, it was from the MDOT.

Either way, public property does not constitute permission.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Just because we write the checks doesn't mean that all public property is allowed for caching. Military installations, railroad right of ways (some publicly owned) and national parks are explicitly forbidden for cache placement. Other areas may be allowed, but, like it or not, part of our check pays for land managers who make that decision.

I think Dubord would be the best person to comment on this, but from my experience, a "right of way" is not ownership. It only allows access for a specific purpose, like maintaining a road or powerline. The property owner still OWNS the land.

I researched this several years ago when people were digging up flowers along the road near my house, and using the argument that it was "public property". WRONG! I still own the land. The town has a right of way to maintain a road, but no other use. The town DOES NOT own the land, and it IS NOT public property.

(But I agree that I would not feel the need to ask permission to place a GRC, a cache on a power line right of way, or in a rest area open to public access.)

I saw that Mars reference today as I was perusing the official "guidelines"..... are they freakin high at Groundspeak?

Thanks for your assistance Brdad.... I will have to cross all of my t's and dot all my i's with this cache I guess, but I will make it a good one with a micro final in a guardrail after all that hard work in the dark ha ha

Well, they both are big and metal.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.