Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 73

Thread: interesting cache placement

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Just log book is full
    SO I see that the Slovakians have the same issue with cachers as we do here in Maine... that is, cachers logging needs maintenance for simple things like log books being full or wet. I am tired of these logs here, and have started emailing cachers who do post these types of logs, asking them to just email me or to go and replace the log yourself. There is nothing worse than some cacher who has 6000 finds and has been caching for 8 years, who posts that I need to run out to a Star Wars Cache to replace the log.... bring some replacement logs when you go caching! If you have that many finds, you have a lot of experience....and I would hope, a modicum of intelligence and common sense. I bring replacement logs with me everywhere along with baggies for them of all sizes. I am constantly doing maintenance on others caches!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,058

    Default

    If the "needs maintenance" log is not for the purpose of indicating a cache needs maintenance, as in the case of full logs, what is it for?

    I don't generally bring replacement logs with me, or baggies or cache containers. I commend those that do, but it's just my choice. Expecting someone else to maintain your cache is wrong IMO. I have on a few occasions, twice I think, brought a replacement cache to a cache I knew was damaged, Maine's Resident Rock Star and Monhegan Magic. Actually, 3 - I replaced a GRC once!

    It's nice when people are willing to help out, but if you can't maintain your own caches you have probably placed enough.

    Anyway, back to the original topic, this is a neat idea, sounds like it is on the end of a gate that lifts, too bad we can't do caches like that here.

    Last edited by brdad; 06-03-2010 at 11:28 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    If the "needs maintenance" log is not for the purpose of indicating a cache needs maintenance, as in the case of full logs, what is it for?

    I don't generally bring replacement logs with me, or baggies or cache containers. I commend those that do, but it's just my choice. Expecting someone else to maintain your cache is wrong IMO. I have on a few occasions, twice I think, brought a replacement cache to a cache I knew was damaged, Maine's Resident Rock Star and Monhegan Magic. Actually, 3 - I replaced a GRC once!

    It's nice when people are willing to help out, but if you can't maintain your own caches you have probably placed enough.

    Anyway, back to the original topic, this is a neat idea, sounds like it is on the end of a gate that lifts, too bad we can't do caches like that here.

    Considering some Charlatan went through my entire Star Wars Series and removed every carefully placed baggie in each cache, I think that if a cacher feels the need to do that to every cache in a series to decrease his or her time running it, then I refuse to perform wet log replacement runs. This cacher who did this is ruining the game for everyone else. I replace caches when they truly need repair and when they are missing.

    Nothing of what I have said here is about whether or not I can maintain my caches. I do maintain them, and everytime I go caching I run into cachers placed by cachers who have only placed a one or two caches, or caches placed by cachers who have only a few finds under their belt, and they plain and simple DO NOT maintain their caches. I email and email and email them about missing caches and never hear a thing. You should read some of my DNF logs for some caches in Brunswick that I encountered yesterday!

    SO pretty much, we can all be sure that You Brdad will refuse to replace a wet log or a full log when you encounter them? Good to know that this is how you choose to play this fine game we have here.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,058

    Default

    Part of maintenance is dealing with how people treat your caches unfortunately. With Old470, it's people not putting it back where it belongs. Another, it's replacing stolen hockey pucks. I would imagine with power run caches, haste in finding the caches makes a select few not care about the baggies. In all the cases, it's not right, it's just an unfortunate side effect.

    And it's not so much that I refuse to replace lost or full logs, it's that most of the time I intentionally come unprepared. On occasion I have added slip of paper to supplement a cache. There is no written or unwritten standard for caring for another person's cache. It is a nice thing to do and is over and above what is expected IMO.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  5. #15

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Part of maintenance is dealing with how people treat your caches unfortunately. With Old470, it's people not putting it back where it belongs. Another, it's replacing stolen hockey pucks. I would imagine with power run caches, haste in finding the caches makes a select few not care about the baggies. In all the cases, it's not right, it's just an unfortunate side effect.

    And it's not so much that I refuse to replace lost or full logs, it's that most of the time I intentionally come unprepared. On occasion I have added slip of paper to supplement a cache. There is no written or unwritten standard for caring for another person's cache. It is a nice thing to do and is over and above what is expected IMO.
    Ok. I will agree with that explanation!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    There is nothing worse than some cacher who has 6000 finds and has been caching for 8 years, who posts that I need to run out to a Star Wars Cache to replace the log.... bring some replacement logs when you go caching!
    This is one of the reasons I object to "power run" caches. The cache owner can't maintain them.

    The responsibility for maintaining a geocache rests with the cache owner - not another geocacher who finds the cache. If you can't maintain a cache, don't place it.

    When I post a log advising the cache owner that there is a problem with the cache, I consider that I am doing him a courtesy. That's the way I feel when someone posts that there is a problem with one of my caches.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    SO pretty much, we can all be sure that You Brdad will refuse to replace a wet log or a full log when you encounter them? Good to know that this is how you choose to play this fine game we have here.
    Sheesh! I guarantee that I will NOT replace a wet or full log. It's not my responsibility to use my money to maintain YOUR cache. I'll be courteous, and let you know that there is a problem with YOUR cache, but the responsibility for maintaining YOUR cache is yours - not mine.

    I applaud someone who voluntarily replaces a logbook or otherwise "cleans up" a cache. But to EXPECT someone else to maintain YOUR cache disgusts me.


  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade, Maine
    Posts
    953

    Default

    JustPJ66 (Pam) and I occasionally replace logs or put logs in baggies. We do it strictly as a courtesy. If we happen to find a cache that's in bad shape, for any reason, and we do not have supplies with us we mention it in our logs. If the cache is in serious need of help we log it as a "Needs Maintenance" to really draw attention to that fact. We try very hard to leave a cache in it's original baggie if we can or replace it if we can. But we do not feel it's our responsibility to maintain other people's caches.

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    This is one of the reasons I object to "power run" caches. The cache owner can't maintain them.

    The responsibility for maintaining a geocache rests with the cache owner - not another geocacher who finds the cache. If you can't maintain a cache, don't place it.

    When I post a log advising the cache owner that there is a problem with the cache, I consider that I am doing him a courtesy. That's the way I feel when someone posts that there is a problem with one of my caches.
    I never said I can't maintain them. You should watch what you say Mr. WhereRWe.....

    ... you obviously don't read what I write closely, and assume a lot.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    JustPJ66 (Pam) and I occasionally replace logs or put logs in baggies. We do it strictly as a courtesy. If we happen to find a cache that's in bad shape, for any reason, and we do not have supplies with us we mention it in our logs. If the cache is in serious need of help we log it as a "Needs Maintenance" to really draw attention to that fact. We try very hard to leave a cache in it's original baggie if we can or replace it if we can. But we do not feel it's our responsibility to maintain other people's caches.
    You are all correct. It is not anyone but the cache owner's responsibility. However I would think that the majority of us who consider us as respectful and courteous people/cachers (and who expect courtesy in logs, treatment of areas that caches are located on, and expect courtesy and respect on this forum) would also be of the mind set of replacing a wet log or full log if we come across one.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •