Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: interesting cache placement

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! I guarantee that I will NOT replace a wet or full log. It's not my responsibility to use my money to maintain YOUR cache. I'll be courteous, and let you know that there is a problem with YOUR cache, but the responsibility for maintaining YOUR cache is yours - not mine.

I applaud someone who voluntarily replaces a logbook or otherwise "cleans up" a cache. But to EXPECT someone else to maintain YOUR cache disgusts me.

Personally you disgust me, and your posts in this thread personify my general feeling that there are several cachers on this forum who are hypocritical floozies.

I would feel that since I have provided so much fun for so many cachers when they come to the area and find/log several hundred finds in such a short period of time, that the least they can do is slip a new piece of paper into a film canister when they find the old log wet.

Question I do try

I do carry a selection of logs sizes in my backpack. More often than not it is for a full up log in a micro so I have a place to sign. The dilemma I often face is what to do with the full logs. I really feel they belong to the owner. Most of the time there isn't room to add a log sheet if it's a small container, but I want to place my name on it. I am also not going to mail them as that is just more than I am willing to do. What opinions does everyone have. And yes I know there will be plenty of them.
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    I do carry a selection of logs sizes in my backpack. More often than not it is for a full up log in a micro so I have a place to sign. The dilemma I often face is what to do with the full logs. I really feel they belong to the owner. Most of the time there isn't room to add a log sheet if it's a small container, but I want to place my name on it. I am also not going to mail them as that is just more than I am willing to do. What opinions does everyone have. And yes I know there will be plenty of them.
    Brad! Very refreshing to know that you do carry extra logs and will gladly and openly replace a wet log. I can understand the dilemma concerning a full log sheet. I personally do not care about keeping logs and verifying finds cross referenced with the written logs. Do many cache owners do that????

I do carry many logs, from nano sized, up through full log books that I will glady place in a cache that is in need. I also carry all my cache gear including ready made caches, and extra film canisters and magnetic key holders so I can replace any damaged caches I find.

As many cachers (some who are on this forum... Dubord?) can tell you, I glady offer my assitance with cache repair too. I have repaired and replaced several down here for owners who live out of town, and did one for Dubord in Camden last summer. I have replaced many of TeamHorwich's caches for him as well when I am out caching and see that something needs maintenance.

Perhaps a "needs maintenance" log is intended to get the cache owners attention which the regular logs don't do. How many times have you read the last 4 loggers say that the log is wet and unusable and it is over the course of 2 months? That's 4 chances the cache owner has to go and check on it and not expecting each one of those cachers to do it for them. I currently have one that was reported with a wet log within a week of placing by more than one person. Right now the cache is disabled as the preserve is being worked on and people aren't allowed on it at the moment. It will be fixed when I'm allowed on the property. If someone says it needs maintenance than I can't fault them as it has been wet for more than 3 months.

I love to keep my old log books, but mine are large enough that people can actually write more than just their name in them. Some of the logbook logs are better than the online logs, and plus you occasionally get the logs from the people who do not log online. I would care a lot less for a micro log with just the names, unless I wanted to validate a find.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    Perhaps a "needs maintenance" log is intended to get the cache owners attention which the regular logs don't do. How many times have you read the last 4 loggers say that the log is wet and unusable and it is over the course of 2 months? That's 4 chances the cache owner has to go and check on it and not expecting each one of those cachers to do it for them. I currently have one that was reported with a wet log within a week of placing by more than one person. Right now the cache is disabled as the preserve is being worked on and people aren't allowed on it at the moment. It will be fixed when I'm allowed on the property. If someone says it needs maintenance than I can't fault them as it has been wet for more than 3 months.
    I look at that as being 4 discourteous/lazy cachers who couldn't carry a few extra pieces of paper on them and throw one into your cache.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I love to keep my old log books, but mine are large enough that people can actually write more than just their name in them. Some of the logbook logs are better than the online logs, and plus you occasionally get the logs from the people who do not log online. I would care a lot less for a micro log with just the names, unless I wanted to validate a find.
    Do you validate finds vs. the logs?

I wonder why people write so much in a log as opposed to the online log.... odd. Very odd. I am the opposite. I just sign my name and date in a physical log then write a lot online.

Default Doing a "courtesy"?

How hard is it to put a few new logs in your pocket and just replace a wet log? Seriously? I think it takes less time then typing a "needs maintenance" log!!!! C'mon, you guys seem to be taking cheap shots at folks that place a lot of caches. If Dave or Bruce have a cache that suddenly gets wet because a cacher can't put the cover on correctly and I'm the next cacher, I'll fix the frigging thing and not expect a pat on the back.

Man, it really irks me that those of us that do a little repair work on others' caches from time to time are looked down on by some fellow cachers.

I've replaced logs in caches placed by fellow cachers that have less then 5 caches. I have also had cachers repair or fix caches of mine that needed attention.

Try it guys! I always feel good when I do a good deed without expecting anything in return. Even a Curmudgeon and an "old school" cacher can repair a cache. I'd do it for you both without question and with the expectation of nothing in return. Want to try it?

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    This is one of the reasons I object to "power run" caches. The cache owner can't maintain them.

The responsibility for maintaining a geocache rests with the cache owner - not another geocacher who finds the cache. If you can't maintain a cache, don't place it.

When I post a log advising the cache owner that there is a problem with the cache, I consider that I am doing him a courtesy. That's the way I feel when someone posts that there is a problem with one of my caches.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    How hard is it to put a few new logs in your pocket and just replace a wet log? Seriously? I think it takes less time then typing a "needs maintenance" log!!!! C'mon, you guys seem to be taking cheap shots at folks that place a lot of caches. If Dave or Bruce have a cache that suddenly gets wet because a cacher can't put the cover on correctly and I'm the next cacher, I'll fix the frigging thing and not expect a pat on the back.

Man, it really irks me that those of us that do a little repair work on others' caches from time to time are looked down on by some fellow cachers.

I've replaced logs in caches placed by fellow cachers that have less then 5 caches. I have also had cachers repair or fix caches of mine that needed attention.

Try it guys! I always feel good when I do a good deed without expecting anything in return. Even a Curmudgeon and an "old school" cacher can repair a cache. I'd do it for you both without question and with the expectation of nothing in return. Want to try it?
    Thank you Dan! You are a voice of reason as well....

As far as mailing the old logs to the CO when you replace a log, I have always offered to do so and nobody has taken me up on the offer yet. I bet Di and I have easily replaced over 100 logs, maybe 200 and nobody has asked to be sent the soaked mushy logs we replace. If they did, we'd send it...not a big deal.

And Chadd replaced an entire cache for us last summer while we were up north on vacation. Anybody here ever heard of the "Golden Rule?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.