vb:literal>

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: interesting cache placement

I know that Parmachenee has replaced a log for me and I noticed that he did so, only a few hours before I had arrived to replace the log myself! ha ha I ran into Frank and Charyon (spelling?) later in the day as I was out and about caching and performing repair on other caches of mine in the area!

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Man, it really irks me that those of us that do a little repair work on others' caches from time to time are looked down on by some fellow cachers.
    I think you misunderstood what he was saying. When I read it I understood that he thinks it is wrong to put out a cache and expect other people to maintain it. I have to agree with that. As for looking down on someone who fixes another owners cache, I don't think anyone does that.

I don't expect anyone else to maintain my caches. I have one with water problem and one with a muggle problem. I don't maintain either as much as I should because I tend to get discouraged with them both from time to time. I don't archive them because people really do enjoy them. I have one more that is haunted. It is gone, then comes back, then is gone again. LOL

I carry "emergency" logs I found a pattern for online. I use them if a log in a full size cache is full or in the case of Coburn Mt where a Boy Scout Troop just put a piece of paper in the cache. I don't carry micro logs though.

What ticks me off is when someone decides a cache is missing and replaces it and logs a find. Then the owner goes out and finds 2 caches. I have found more than one cache container a few times now. In fact it was done on one of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Do you validate finds vs. the logs?

I wonder why people write so much in a log as opposed to the online log.... odd. Very odd. I am the opposite. I just sign my name and date in a physical log then write a lot online.
    Very rarely do I validate. I have validated more just by sending an email and asking - on 4 or 5 occasions people have incorrectly logged one of my caches. At least I believe it was incorrectly.

I write a lot less in the cache log than I used to and am a bit ashamed of it. Some of it is the rush to move along, some of it is there is less to write about many caches now, some of it is I have a harder job getting inspired to write than I used to, in cache or online logs. Old age maybe...

Man, it really irks me that those of us that do a little repair work on others' caches from time to time are looked down on by some fellow cachers.
    I have posted at least twice in this thread alone that helping out with caches is above and beyond expectations. It is a good deed. In no way am I looking down on anyone for doing so, quite the opposite in fact. Like Bruce, however, I don't like it when cache owners expect someone else maintain their caches.

Just like each of us gives in different ways and amounts to this site, we give in different ways and amounts to the game. It is good we have a mixture of people that do some extra good in different aspects of the game. I don't make a point to repair random caches, but I do help out a lot with errors I catch in descriptions and other problems people come to me for help with. A few weeks ago, I alerted a cache owner his parking coords were 50 miles off, he was glad I told him, no one had mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry View Post
    What ticks me off is when someone decides a cache is missing and replaces it and logs a find. Then the owner goes out and finds 2 caches. I have found more than one cache container a few times now. In fact it was done on one of mine.
    That gets me too. If they never found the cache, how do they know it's missing, and if they placed their own, how can they say they found it?????
    We watched a cache being replaced in Augusta and decided not to claim the find until we went back another day. It didn't feel right to log it.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-03-2010 at 09:04 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I don't "expect" anybody to repair my caches or caches that others place. That's not the point at all!

My "expectation" is that a thoughtful cacher will carry a spare log or two and replace a log that clearly needs replacing. I agree with LT that replacing an entire cache that you deem is missing is irresponsible.

But replacing one that has clearly been destroyed should be encouraged. That happens and when I'm headed out to do a cache that the previous cacher indicates needs replacing, I'll replace it. Anybody think doing that violates the spirit of the game? Brad, didn't you guys find one I replaced on top of a mountain not that long ago?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Very rarely do I validate. I have validated more just by sending an email and asking - on 4 or 5 occasions people have incorrectly logged one of my caches. At least I believe it was incorrectly.

I write a lot less in the cache log than I used to and am a bit ashamed of it. Some of it is the rush to move along, some of it is there is less to write about many caches now, some of it is I have a harder job getting inspired to write than I used to, in cache or online logs. Old age maybe...

I have posted at least twice in this thread alone that helping out with caches is above and beyond expectations. It is a good deed. In no way am I looking down on anyone for doing so, quite the opposite in fact. Like Bruce, however, I don't like it when cache owners expect someone else maintain their caches.

Just like each of us gives in different ways an amounts to this site, we give in different ways and amounts to the game. It is good we have a mixture of people that do some extra good in different aspects of the game.
    It is not an expectation to maintain a cache. It is an expectation of common sense, common courtesy, and good deeds. All important parts of caching.

There are cachers in other parts of the country who have many more hides than I do, upwards of 6 or 7 hundred, and they maintain them, but they also get help from others in the repair work.

I feel that my cache placements have provided a service to the caching community. They have drawn many more cachers to this area of Maine, from all over, than used to come. The same goes for Mike's Stud Mill Rd series! When you get 160+ cachers logging a cache in a 6 month period of time.... many of them very highly experienced cachers, and ones who genuinely enjoyed the series, I would think that many of them would be cachers who would take it upon themselves to come prepared to do spontaneous cache maintenance just like I do.

As Dubord said, the Golden Rule...

Thumbs up

I don't "expect" anybody to repair my caches or caches that others place. That's not the point at all!

My "expectation" is that a thoughtful cacher will carry a spare log or two and replace a log that clearly needs replacing. I agree with LT that replacing an entire cache that you deem is missing is irresponsible.

But replacing one that has clearly been destroyed should be encouraged. That happens and when I'm headed out to do a cache that the previous cacher indicates needs replacing, I'll replace it. Anybody think doing that violates the spirit of the game? Brad, didn't you guys find one I replaced on top of a mountain not that long ago?
    Well said, Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    This cache is accessible only when a train is passing by. You have to wait for a train to get the cache. And if you are not able to log it and put it back while train is passing by you must wait for another train to be able to put it back

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...c-f4c7f5902f2d
    Oh, Cano, sorry if I hijacked your thread! I have a nasty habit of doing that without even realizing it....

Back to the original posting.... I discussed this cache with a few other cachers today and the concept seems very neat. I wish we didn't have such rules in place here in the U.S. I am sure that with the proper explanation in the cache listing, a cacher would have no problem understanding the cache and how it works!

Default Relay for Life

Di and I will have a whole bunch of spare logs of all sizes for anybody attending the Relay tomorrow in Ellsworth. Just ask and I'll share them!

Need to sign off now and get some rest as tomorrow evening I'll be up way beyond my usual bedtime! Good topic gentlemen!

Default Di's 2 cents worth

Pay it Forward! If you haven't seen the movie, you might not understand. If you did see it, then that's what we're talking about.

If everyone maintained everyone else's caches ....

Way fewer caches would be archived, and we'd never know who the deadbeat cache owners were!

If everyone maintained their own caches ...

There would be no need for this discussion!
    Last edited by brdad; 06-04-2010 at 05:58 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."