vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most caches in a given town

Default Most caches in a given town

I am toying with some town data that may be added to the stats at some time. Anyway, I now have in my GSAK database the towns that every cache has been placed in. I am still testing the accuracy but it does not look bad. I think one flaw is in the case with townships it is choosing the nearest town. Fletcher Field????? Never heard of it, but thanks to Mike it's a popular caching spot. And I've driven through it at least 100 times.

I was quite surprised at the numbers and am not sure if I am happy or sad Bangor is #1.

Here is the top 25, active caches only.

Bangor ---- 92
    Augusta ---- 78
    Lewiston ---- 63
    Deadwater ---- 50
    Fletcher Field ---- 49
    Alewife ---- 48
    Alfred Mills ---- 47
    South Liberty ---- 44
    Hallowell ---- 36
    Pownal Center ---- 36
    South Lewiston ---- 35
    Waterville ---- 35
    Brewer ---- 34
    Eustis ---- 31
    Walnut Hill ---- 29
    West Kennebunk ---- 27
    New Auburn ---- 25
    Orono ---- 25
    Brunswick ---- 24
    East Orrington ---- 24
    Pleasant Hill ---- 24
    Riverside ---- 24
    Spang Mills ---- 24
    Berwick ---- 23
    Biddeford ---- 23
    Last edited by brdad; 06-05-2010 at 10:34 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Portland's not even on the list?

Are you another one of those "Northern Maine vs Southern Maine" folks? lol

Actually, I see Biddeford in there so I know it isn't northern vs southern but, hey, I couldn't resist.

Portland shows up as #29 with 23 caches. Part of the issue is we tend to think of both Portland and South Portland as one city. I think another issue may be that this data displays the closest town and not necessarily the town it is in. So a cache on the west line of Portland may be closer to the center of Westbrook and may be skewing the numbers.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-05-2010 at 10:55 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

portland by itself has well over 150 active caches thats not including south portland

Quote Originally Posted by team barbieri View Post
    portland by itself has well over 150 active caches thats not including south portland
    Yeah, I have the boundaries for Bangor and there are 132 active caches within those boundaries, 40 caches more than this shows.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

And West Kennebunk is just part of Kennebunk. Most of Chadd's Star War series is in Kennebunk.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Yeah, some of the Bangor caches are listed as a trailer park instead of Bangor. sheesh!

Too bad, this could produce some good stats if it worked right. I might have to try zip codes...
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I am toying with some town data that may be added to the stats at some time. Anyway, I now have in my GSAK database the towns that every cache has been placed in. I am still testing the accuracy but it does not look bad. I think one flaw is in the case with townships it is choosing the nearest town. Fletcher Field????? Never heard of it, but thanks to Mike it's a popular caching spot. And I've driven through it at least 100 times.

I was quite surprised at the numbers and am not sure if I am happy or sad Bangor is #1.

Here is the top 25, active caches only.

Bangor ---- 92
    Augusta ---- 78
    Lewiston ---- 63
    Deadwater ---- 50
    Fletcher Field ---- 49
    Alewife ---- 48
    Alfred Mills ---- 47
    South Liberty ---- 44
    Hallowell ---- 36
    Pownal Center ---- 36
    South Lewiston ---- 35
    Waterville ---- 35
    Brewer ---- 34
    Eustis ---- 31
    Walnut Hill ---- 29
    West Kennebunk ---- 27
    New Auburn ---- 25
    Orono ---- 25
    Brunswick ---- 24
    East Orrington ---- 24
    Pleasant Hill ---- 24
    Riverside ---- 24
    Spang Mills ---- 24
    Berwick ---- 23
    Biddeford ---- 23
    West Kennebunk is not it's own municipality. That would be like calling Biddeford Pool it's own town, or Springvale it's own town.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    And West Kennebunk is just part of Kennebunk. Most of Chadd's Star War series is in Kennebunk.
    I think if you combined "Kennebunk" with "West Kennebunk" you'd have well over 100 caches..... this is odd that Kennebunk itself is not listed here....