vb:literal>

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: GSAK question

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry View Post
    I had logged the wrong cache as found. When I did my found caches it saved the log. I deleted that log and logged the correct cache. Then when I did find the first cache GSAK had 2 found logs even though I had deleted it on the cache page. I had to go in and delete the log in GSAk.

Getting rid of archived caches.
    You can delete your entire data base and then get all your pocket queries again or do what I did. Spend an afternoon going through the caches with the two panes in GSAK. Archived caches show as archived in the lower pane and you can delete them.

Of course you can leave them in and find them like I have done more than once. LOL
    Would rather not delete my entire database because I have a lot of mystery caches in it with solved cords that I have not yet gone and found.

I found an archived Lexmano cache a few weeks back, the same way ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Here is another GSAK question for you....

How can I filter out of my database caches that have been archived. I have been noticing that there is no way when my PQs get generated throughout the week for my Maine and NH database in GSAK that when a cache gets archived, I have no way of seeing this in my PQ, and hence I still have caches I try to go find that have been archived? Any ideas?

After you receive all of your pq's create a filter that filters out all of your found caches, archived and unavailable and then highlight the last gpx file column. You may find that the date is probably old. You know what dates your pq's are run so most with a date before then are probably archived. You then take the gc code for that cache and look it up and you may find that it has been archived. Click on the gpx file button on the cache page and gsak will remove it or you can delete it if you want. Just be careful to make sure that the cache is in fact archived. I usually filter my maine caches out then start the process. When I first discovered this I had 200+ archived caches to get rid of but now it is usually 2 or 3 a week.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Default A clean database is a happy database....

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Would rather not delete my entire database because I have a lot of mystery caches in it with solved cords that I have not yet gone and found.
    That is the number one reason not to do a complete dump.
    Quote Originally Posted by shuman road searchers View Post
    After you receive all of your pq's create a filter that filters out all of your found caches, archived and unavailable and then highlight the last gpx file column. You may find that the date is probably old. You know what dates your pq's are run so most with a date before then are probably archived. You then take the gc code for that cache and look it up and you may find that it has been archived. Click on the gpx file button on the cache page and gsak will remove it or you can delete it if you want. Just be careful to make sure that the cache is in fact archived. I usually filter my maine caches out then start the process. When I first discovered this I had 200+ archived caches to get rid of but now it is usually 2 or 3 a week.
    I run a PQ every week called Inactive caches. That will mark caches that are temporarily disabled. Then with my fresh PQ it makes it easy to see the potential archived ones. Then I also use the Last GPX column to see the dates. I made this easy with a separate view I called Archive Check. We are doing the same thing I believe. Just a bit different way of going about it.
    Happy Trails!

I have never bothered to use them because I need the archived caches in my database, but there are a couple macros which filter for archived caches and deletes them. I use a similar technique, but just tag the caches as archived instead of deleting them.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

macro is the way to go - and you don't have to delete them...it just marks them as archived after your review...still a little tedious, but it works...

I have tried the different macros and such over the years for dealing with Archived Caches. Here is the method I use. It is manual, but after you do it the first time subsequently it does not take much time at all.

When you do your regular weekly, (daily or what ever is regular for you) find the Last GPX column in your Gsak listing and click on it. It will order your Last GPX column by date. You should then see dates either at the beginning or at the end (depending on how many times you click the column). Lets just say you did your PQ downloads today (6/7/2010) all the caches that were updated will have a Last GPX file date of 6/7/2010. All of the ones listed prior to 6/7/2010 either have not been updated recently (and as such are either Archived or disabled) and you need to decide their status.

I do this by double clicking on them and if they are Archived I check the user flag (make sure you cleared all user flags before you do this). When I have completed this I then do a bulk delete from the Waypoint tab deleting the user checked caches. Note that when you do this task the first time the list might be a little long, but you will have removed all archived and at least for me, all unavailable caches.

When the unavailable ones are reactivated you will download them with your new PQ. (I do check the Available tab on my PQ downloads so I am getting only active caches.)

It seems tedious, but I have a nice clean database with only active caches.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

You do not need to open up the cache page to see if any individual cache is archived. In the Waypoint menu is Status check. By clicking this GSAK looks at the online page in the background and will change the status of the cache in GSAK and tell you if it is the same or has changed. It is quicker than loading the actual web page because it does not have to load the images. You can even assign a shortcut key to the Status check so you can just type ALT-S or something like it to check the status. This feature is also nice if you want to make sure a cache is active before heading out. This feature can be abused - if you repeatedly click on it on every cache in your database gc.com will likely throttle or suspend your account! But it should be fine for weekly or monthly verification of archiveds.

Gob-ler, everyone has their own way, do what works for you, but if you did this status check on your suspected archiveds, you would not have to set the user flags. Once you have checked the status of the suspicious caches, you could just filter for caches that are archived or disabled and delete those waypoints.

You could also make the filtering easier by using the Mfilter toolbox entry just by entering Status != 'A'. The mfliter drop down saves the last 10 entries, so if you do not use it a lot you would just have to select it from the list and not write it down every time. if by chance the mfilter box is not on your toolbar, you can add it by right clicking the toolbar, selecting Customize search bar and checking Mfilter.

Last edited by brdad; 06-07-2010 at 07:42 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

There, you see it! Everyone learns something new now and then!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    You do not need to open up the cache page to see if any individual cache is archived. In the Waypoint menu is Status check. By clicking this GSAK looks at the online page in the background and will change the status of the cache in GSAK and tell you if it is the same or has changed. It is quicker than loading the actual web page because it does not have to load the images. You can even assign a shortcut key to the Status check so you can just type ALT-S or something like it to check the status. This feature is also nice if you want to make sure a cache is active before heading out. This feature can be abused - if you repeatedly click on it on every cache in your database gc.com will likely throttle or suspend your account! But it should be fine for weekly or monthly verification of archiveds.

Gob-ler, everyone has their own way, do what works for you, but if you did this status check on your suspected archiveds, you would not have to set the user flags. Once you have checked the status of the suspicious caches, you could just filter for caches that are archived or disabled and delete those waypoints.

You could also make the filtering easier by using the Mfilter toolbox entry just by entering Status != 'A'. The mfliter drop down saves the last 10 entries, so if you do not use it a lot you would just have to select it from the list and not write it down every time. if by chance the mfilter box is not on your toolbar, you can add it by right clicking the toolbar, selecting Customize search bar and checking Mfilter.

Um you've already lost me... this looks somewhat like my GSAK but nothing at the top does...