vb:literal>

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: GSAK question

As you know GSAK is a very powerful tool. It is really the "Serious Tool" as it relates to Geocaching.

The good thing is that you can use it at the level you are comfortable with and learn other nice things along the way!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Um you've already lost me... this looks somewhat like my GSAK but nothing at the top does...
    One of the good and bad things of GSAK is is ability to be customized. If it's the buttons at the top that are confusing you, they are buttons that link to my often used macros. Just ignore the parts that do not look familiar!

If anyone would like to add a button to their frequently used macros, there are instructions at http://gsak.net/help/hs35000.htm. It can be a bit confusing, if anyone has trouble speak up.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Appearances

Don't forget, not everyone has the Platinum membership so their PQ's and GSAK layouts will look a little different...
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

I think I have a copper membership...or maybe lead.

I am lucky I can sometimes manage to load my NUVI and Oregon right. The day I did Coburn Mtn I loaded all my caches and when I got there it wasn't in the Oregon. Luckily it was in the NUVI. Another time I loaded the Oregon, headed out on the road, and when I turned it on there weren't any caches in it. LOL

I didn't realize that Oregons did the same things that Delormes do with regularity. Now what will I buy for my next GPS? I even load mine one cache at a time without using GSAK and they still disappear.

When I had the Magellan as my GPSr, I forgot to take the last step and wound up with an empty GPSr. The eTrex my wife has only lets me load 50 .gpx files so we're still limited in one regard. If I run a PQ with more than 50 results, I can load them on the Nuvi and the Oregon but it only loads the first 50 on the eTrex.

I almost always check the GPSr, Nuvi, Laptop, PDA - anything I load caches onto to make sure the caches are there. Most of the time I clear the unit before I load the new caches, so I just check to make sure there are any caches there, assuming if one made it they all did. If I am adding to some already there, I will look for a unique cache from the new upload.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    When I had the Magellan as my GPSr, I forgot to take the last step and wound up with an empty GPSr. The eTrex my wife has only lets me load 50 .gpx files so we're still limited in one regard. If I run a PQ with more than 50 results, I can load them on the Nuvi and the Oregon but it only loads the first 50 on the eTrex.
    You must mean 500, right? Even my 'Ol Yeller etrex will take 500 waypoints...

When I know what area I am heading to, I sort GSAK to one of the caches in the center of that area. That way I can load all of the caches in the Laptop/PDA/Nuvi, load the closest 975 to Lee's Etrex, and the closest 475 to my Etrex. I leave a few spares so I can mark the car or other interesting places.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    I didn't realize that Oregons did the same things that Delormes do with regularity. Now what will I buy for my next GPS? I even load mine one cache at a time without using GSAK and they still disappear.
    My problem was a user problem. It happens when I am in a hurry. LOL

Default Confused GPSr

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    You must mean 500, right? Even my 'Ol Yeller etrex will take 500 waypoints....
    Nope, 50. I loaded my PQ into GSAK then told it to load them to the eTrex and it only loaded 50.

The specs on the Venture HC say it'll hold 500 waypoints and 50 Routes. There's no way it could be confusing a .gpx file as a route, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    Nope, 50. I loaded my PQ into GSAK then told it to load them to the eTrex and it only loaded 50.

The specs on the Venture HC say it'll hold 500 waypoints and 50 Routes. There's no way it could be confusing a .gpx file as a route, right?
    GSAK will only send waypoints, not routes, but the venture will hold 500 waypoints so something is amiss. The only thing I can think of in GSAK that limits the number of waypoints being sent is on the Send Waypoints to Gps screen there is a box for maximum to send. Perhaps you have 50 entered in there?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	max points.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	496  
    Last edited by brdad; 06-09-2010 at 06:59 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!