vb:literal>

Thread: Biking Trails in Maine

Default Biking Trails in Maine

Hey Gang
    Hoping one of these days to make a run down into the States for some international caching, and YES, numbers do count. Especially on road/power trips. But really enjoy biking runs also, rails to trails type, or fairly easy mountain trails.
    Have heard of the run from Big Lake to Bangor for park and grabs, but are there any biking runs near Bangor or a bit further that I can look up.
    Are there any must do mountain hikes, etc.
    Any info is much appreciated.
    Cheers

Bikes are allowed in the Bangor City Forest where there are quite a few caches.

The Narrow Gauge Path in Carrabassett Valley (home of the Sugarloaf ski area) has several caches along it's length. It is approximately seven miles one way and is a converted railway. This is about two hours from Bangor, but there are many other great caches in the area and is definitely worth the trip if it isn't too far out of your way. Enjoy your trip.

Oh, I just remembered the Whistle Stop trail in Farmington, another rails to trails project with many caches along its length.

If anyone would be willing to save a track file of one of these trails I could make an article listing where they start and end and list of caches on the trail, and maybe set up a GSAK macro so you could check the list yourself.

I think it'd be a great addition to the site.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    If anyone would be willing to save a track file of one of these trails I could make an article listing where they start and end and list of caches on the trail, and maybe set up a GSAK macro so you could check the list yourself.

I think it'd be a great addition to the site.
    I have plenty track logs, I just need to figure out the date
    What format would you like?
    Moo

I'd be doing most of the work in GSAK, which directly supports text, GPX, LOC, Street Atlas route files (ANR), MapSend Waypoint files (WPT), OziExplorer WPT files, MapSource (MPS) files, MapSource GDB files, Streets & Trips EST files, Google Maps Route KML files, and Autoroute AXE files.

GSAK formats these files into files separating Lat and Lon with a comma and uses line break for new waypoint in the track, like this:

Code:
    44.846498,-68.746948
    44.854043,-68.763256
    44.851123,-68.784885
    44.837126,-68.795700
    44.822395,-68.780079
    44.822030,-68.749008
    44.829335,-68.738537
    44.841508,-68.772697
    44.836517,-68.758965
    44.843334,-68.752098
    44.830065,-68.766174
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

The Augusta to Gardiner rail trail is paved and loaded up with caches in the area!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Default Bradbury State Park

This State Park located about 10 minutes from LL Bean has nice camp sites and many miles of bike trails loaded with a nice selection of caches.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.