vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Like Your GPS?

Well I have the Etrex Vista and love it. Well I have nothing else to compare it too but so far it hasnt failed me yet,except for a couple of no finds but that is probably my fault.I do have problems under really heavy cover but I think most GPS's have the same problem.I got mine on Ebay for over $100 under retail.So far so good. Is it really worth it to get Mapsource for it though? I wish I could see it on a Vista before I bought it .

Default SporTrack Map works great

Our first couple of finds were with the Magellan Trailblazer XL I bought (for over $500) back in the early nineties--a very frustrating device. Got the Geocaching bug and started shopping hard. Saw the Flying J online deal on Geocaching.com and bought two of the SporTrack Maps for $99 ea. plus a $30 rebate (would have got the Pro for $30 more but they were sold out). Sold the second unit on eBay for $129, so ended up with about $39.00 in my unit.

It is accurate, and pretty easy to use with a little practice and reading of the manual. The RAM is a little on the light side--I can fit about two thirds of the state topo from Mapsend, as well as 300+ cache waypoints downloaded from GSAK.

Coords are usually right on, though you can lose signal under heavy tree cover, which is to be expected, I guess.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy another Magellan, but if that Megabucks ticket pans out, a 60cs would be in the mail instantly

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I like my Yeller etrex, cause it puts up with my abuse. It's been on 2 ATV flips, underwater several times, flown off a car roof at 40 MPH, And dropped many many times. Yet it keeps on ticking.
    And the number one reason I like it: It has found me 401 caches! Okay, actually only 400 because I found that one at Jenn's first event with no GPS or coords, but who's counting?

PS: Don't tell her I posted that here.
    And you didn't think for a second that I couldn't find it on my own?? Silly!

I was interested in the comment on "rubber banding", which I think happens to me a lot, especially under heavy tree cover. Anyone else have this problem - A LOT - expecially those with an eTrex?

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I was interested in the comment on "rubber banding", which I think happens to me a lot, especially under heavy tree cover. Anyone else have this problem - A LOT - expecially those with an eTrex?
    From what I've experienced and read, rubberbanding, boomeranging, the slingshot effect or whatever you want to call it is generally a problem seen with Magellans not Garmin units.

There is a thread discussing it on geocaching.com's forums here:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...howtopic=43011

I like my etrex vista because it has my picture on it!! Actually, it is very reliable and the MapSource software has been very helpful finding locations by streets or roads. Along with Delorme, I'm never lost despite what my wife says. But, I didn't get the deal Haffy6 got!!

RULOST2? is tired of my complaining, and agrees with me that it's time for a new GPS. I've been strongly considering the Garmin eTrex Vista C (color).

Anyone have one? Any comments?

I havent thought of upgrading yet as the ol Vista is still ticking but I like the idea of auto routing that the new "C" has and also the color screen. You checked out the 60cs yet? And is there a store where they have all the lastest GPS's on display for trying out and getting a handle on one?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Thumbs up Map 60 C

I tried out the Map 60C again today. I turned it on and got satillite signal in about 3 minutes. Inside the store!!!! They were selling them for list which is 449.00 less a $50 rebate. I found them online for $311 after rebates. I am really tempted now. I like the way the e-trexes buttons function more than the Map 60C. But wow does that antenna make a huge difference.
    Happy Trails!

Default Love our Garmin GPS III

We've got a Garmin GPS III and it's awesome. It would be nice to have the +(like Mo) to add our own maps, but the built-in roads are very nice to have. It's always been fairly accurate for us, and I love the sideways footprint that sits nice on my dashboard, rather than the typical handheld profile. 500 waypoints is plenty for my needs, and I can use EasyGPS to backup my waypoints and upload a new set if I'm going on a long-distance trip. I can even exchange waypoints with my PalmIII if I'm in a pinch. The only downside I've seen so far is that the memory is wiped out when you change the batteries, unless you're running on AC power.

Plus, like Mo, it was my favorite price: free!