vb:literal>

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why Do You Like Your GPS?

Default GARMIN Etrex basic

My Etrex is the basic model, its ok. I have a lot of trouble believing the posts of people that say their GPSr took them rite to the cache. I have had to do a lot of searching for all I have found. My gps tells me I'm anywhere from 1ft to 30ft away without moving. The first GPSr I bought was a Garmin GEKO but I took it back when I had to replace the batteries twice in one week and I only turned it on for maby 10 min. 3 times.

I'm in the minority with a Magellan Meridian Color.

Pros--

-- It works for me and my needs/wants (i.e. mapping ATV routes, finding out where I am while out on the trails with the snowmobile/ATV, geo-caching, driving directions, etc.

-- I've found out that it seems to be pretty tough . . . since I am a klutz and I have dropped it on more than one occasion . . . usually when I forget to zipper up the case and it goes flying out of it on to the ground, pavement, cement floor in the garage, etc.

-- This may sound bizarre, but I am visually-oriented and I wanted color to help differentiate items on the map. I like the fact that the Meridian uses color, but doesn't go overboard by coloring everything. I know, I know, this sounds strange, but it's one of the things I like about it.

-- Ease of use . . . once I actually sat down and read the manual. The first time I went geo-caching I didn't know how to use the "go to" "point to point" feature and I was simply looking at the coordinates in an effort to find the cache. I looked like I was doing the Texas Two Step on top of Mars Hill as I would go forward a few feet and then walk sideways a few feet only to walk backwards a few more feet and then sidewards again . . . and end up exactly where I started.

-- The price. This unit had the features I wanted at the price I was willing to pay. Here's what I bought: http://www.anchorexpress.com/magella...980598-40.html

-- The memory card. I wanted something with expandable memory.

Cons --

-- The fore-mentioned "sling shot" or "rubber band" effect. I've found that this most often occurs when I'm hurrying to the location. Nevertheless, it's kind of annoying.

-- To use the compass on this model you have to be moving. Sometimes it's nice to just shoot a direction without moving . . . I suppose I could simply buy a cheap compass though.

-- Probably one of the biggest complaints I have with this unit is the driving directions. 90% of the time the directions are dead-on with the unit beeping to let you know the turn is coming up and beeping to let you know when to turn . . . but then 10% of the time the directions are off since it beeps too early or too late or the map shows you making a turn after or well before you're supposed to.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

We have a couple of RINO 130's and absolutely love them. We really like the two-way radio capabilities and also the position reporting feature. Worth every cent!! Oh Ya.....it also finds geocaches with no problems.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

I like my merigold cause it takes the punishment....it was on the front seat when got front-ended on 1/23/06. It works fine but it's going to take me a couple of months to get a good signal.

http://photobucket.com/albums/e81/hu...rent=gcar2.jpg