vb:literal>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Like Your GPS?

So overall which is the best one to go with? I am going to be updating my Magellan SporTrak. Thanks!
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Cyr
    So overall which is the best one to go with? I am going to be updating my Magellan SporTrak. Thanks!
    Those of us that have it will swear by the Garmin GPSMap 60c or 60cs. Very fast screen refresh, lots of memory, GREAT routing capability. I used it extensively on our trip to Quebec this week and the routing gave us the best directions to caches - excepting one-way streets, of course.

If you're in the area, I'd recommend hitting The Map Store in Old Town and comparing units. They have a good selection.
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 07-13-2005 at 11:07 AM.

d’76 Guest

Peggy would be happy to help you out. Her prices are a bit more thatn Internet prices but the service is worth something. And when making a purchase that large and that you depend that much it's nice to talk to a person. She also has a large selection of software at the store and telling her what you want it to do she will be able to tell you what to get. It beats spending 115$$ on software that your not happy with. And no I don't work for her. Her shop is just down the street from my house so I frequent the shop.

Good Luck

DAve

I would agree that the Garmin 60c is a great unit. I just upgraded from a Garmin 12 to a 60c and love everything about it. It has just about every feature that you could ever want and then some. It's quick to get a satellite lock and seems to be more precise in heavy tree cover. (of course my old GPSr only has distances down to 0.01 miles) I am just getting used to the maps and auto routing features. It is so easy to get to an unfamiliar cache location it almost seems like cheating. The only drawback is the included maps. They only include major highways and you will have to spend another $100 or so to get the Mapsource City Select software.

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    I would agree that the Garmin 60c is a great unit. I just upgraded from a Garmin 12 to a 60c and love everything about it. It has just about every feature that you could ever want and then some. It's quick to get a satellite lock and seems to be more precise in heavy tree cover. (of course my old GPSr only has distances down to 0.01 miles) I am just getting used to the maps and auto routing features. It is so easy to get to an unfamiliar cache location it almost seems like cheating. The only drawback is the included maps. They only include major highways and you will have to spend another $100 or so to get the Mapsource City Select software.
    And I STRONGLY recommend getting Garmin's City Select maps. Yup - it's a bundle of money - but REALLY good. I forgot to mention that I used that when I was being routed to caches in Quebec. Just select the waypoint you want to go to, select "via road", and it will get you right there - even showing you the street names. It will beep once a half a mile or so before you get to a turn, then beep twice just before the intersection. Even RULOST2? was navigating with it!

Quote Originally Posted by lefty
    I just got my gpsmap 76cs. I love it.
    We have the GPSMap 76 also - like the big screen and battery life.

Wow... Just priced for those Garmin 60c's and cs. Almost $400... I guess I meant something good for the buck, but no more then $200 if posssible. I will be selling my Sporttrak probably for the $80range.
    Thanks.
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Cyr
    Wow... Just priced for those Garmin 60c's and cs. Almost $400... I guess I meant something good for the buck, but no more then $200 if posssible. I will be selling my Sporttrak probably for the $80range.
    Thanks.
    Well, I upgraded from the Garmin eTrex Legend, which I liked very muuch. That goes for $154.73 (shipped) from gpsdiscount.com , or you can get it for about $169 locally in WalMart.

But go for the gusto! Take out a loan while the interest rates are low and get the GPSMap 60! LOL!

Then I would probably go with either the Garmin Legend which can be bought for less than $200 on Ebay or the Vista which is a little more. If you wanted to go paperless then you need a PDA and maps and Cachemate and GSAK so by the time you get done you would have close to $400 invested anyway. My next investment will probably be the 60cs with a good map and just use Cachemate on the PDA. It comes with autorouting and the PDA is kind of clunky to use for that IMHO and the cord to use between the GPS and Palm in the car is $50. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Haffy; 07-14-2005 at 07:35 AM.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I started out with the little yellow garmin etrex and then went to the Garmin V for the maps and routing. I don't even use the Garmin V anymore. I like the simple little etrex and it was only $100. It works just great for caching! Lost Hiker Man has the Garmin Legend and I like it for the maps and might go to it, the next time I buy one. We found the cheapest place to buy a new Legend is Walmart on-line.
    Last edited by Hiker Twins; 07-14-2005 at 07:57 AM.