vb:literal>

Thread: Private Property

d’76 Guest

Default Private Property

Hey all cache fanatics,

I would just like to share a thought that I had over the weekend. I would like for this to stay on the postive and maybe be able to help others.

The experiance that I had this weekend in southern Maine was at times a bit trying but over all fun.

When putting a cache on someone elses property please be very clear on the way of getting there. Many land owners are very nice people, However sometimes landowners have vast amounts of land and are not willing to understand when the property that they find you on may have been accidentally crossed or even parked on. Sometimes there is more than one way to get to a cache and that other way may not have been the way that you intended but was a good way as well and could be Private property. I think that landowners get fed up with irresponsible people and who can blame them. However any were a cacher goes always leaves it better than they left it. Even if it is only a gum wrapper.

So again please just think about how the landowner will feel if you stray off the exact way that you went in.

Thanks,

Dave

Good point, I put my gps on while I'm driving and sometimes it gives up a good cache as I go by the road and notice its beyond a house I just went buy. It ruins the fun sometimes not at the fault of the cache placer. If have learned one thing is to read the message the cache placer put out more than once and work the maps as good as I can so I will enjoy the experience they are trying to give me. Maybe the best way to fix this is to post the parking co-ordinates and a good description of what you want cachers to go through. It would eliminate this and ruining a cache with just a waypoint. A lot of caches are just marked with a waypoint and very little description on where to park or good directions on how to get places. I have learned that posting the good directions and parking co-ordinates and a descrition of what you can expect the person to go through makes for a better cache and better experience. My .02 cents, and its not to put anyone down just help with what I've seen. Happy caching everyone. I am working on putting out a cache soon and want it to be a good experience for all. Thanks

Lefty

This is one of the best reasons to invest in paperless caching. Most of the times that I have made poor decisions were because I was just winging it. If you have the description and hints you will make better choices.

The best advice (in Maine at least) is to always respect "No Tresspassing" and "Access by Permission" signs. If the land is not posted, you may not be welcome, but you should be allowed to leave without much trouble.

As a hider, your best bet to eliminate any chance of problems is to make a multi cache, with the first set of coords in the parking lot. Then use as many intermediate points as needed to keep everyone on track.

Of course, the most important thing is: Use common sense and don't get too caught up in the fun!! (A lot easier to say than to do!)
    Last edited by tat; 05-31-2005 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling1

Red face

So true - I have passed by a cache or two when it appeared as though I would have to venture onto private property. I really don't like to do that intentionally.

There was an occasion when I was caching in Machias and when leaving, I was unable to find the path that I had taken in. Funny how that happens - there was one on the way in and about 8 choices when I turned around to leave - LOL. I wasn't worried about being lost because I was on a hill and could actually see the main street and hear traffic. No matter how hard I tried to avoid it, I eventually ended up having to bushwack through the woods into someone's back yard so that I could get to the main street and walk back to where I had parked my car some distance away. Wasn't my first choice, but I had conjured up an apology while bushwacking that I could share with the landowner.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    So true - I have passed by a cache or two when it appeared as though I would have to venture onto private property. I really don't like to do that intentionally.

There was an occasion when I was caching in Machias and when leaving, I was unable to find the path that I had taken in. Funny how that happens - there was one on the way in and about 8 choices when I turned around to leave - LOL. I wasn't worried about being lost because I was on a hill and could actually see the main street and hear traffic. No matter how hard I tried to avoid it, I eventually ended up having to bushwack through the woods into someone's back yard so that I could get to the main street and walk back to where I had parked my car some distance away. Wasn't my first choice, but I had conjured up an apology while bushwacking that I could share with the landowner.
    I think that those of us in the more rural areas are fairly tolerant of "trespassers", though. We get many hunters and fishermen, most of whom have a general knowledge of the area they're in, and most of whom head directly for the nearest road when they're tired. I often see sportsmen wandering down the road near my house - especially during hunting season.

But I agree that care must be taken when placing a cache. Many times I've been frustrated by a nicely mowed residential lawn in a direct line to the cache - 200 feet away!. ALWAYS note the cache owner's instructions when it comes to parking spots.