vb:literal>

Thread: Southern Cookin or What Just Tastes Good

Default Southern Cookin or What Just Tastes Good

Moving this here so we don't hijack the ATTroll thread. After all, we don't want him to get lost in the cooking. He needs to stay on the trail.

Dan - all the recipes in the world don't make up for the memory you recounted. We had a meal at my brother's in-law's when we visited them in SC. His mother-in-law is a true southern lady in every sense of the word. We could have the same meal here and it wouldn't be as good.

Default Southern Cooking, manners and hospitality

I think you're right but I can still put together some wicked good chicken, although a true Southerner would never say "wicked good." For those of you who don't mind making a mess in your kitchen here you go.

Get a 3 to 3 and 1/2 pound fryer chicken and ask the butcher to cut it up if you dont know how. This will be enough for 4 people.

In a one gallon plastic sealable bag mix 2 cups of buttermilk with one tablespoon of onion powder, one of salt, a teaspoon of black pepper and one teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Put in the chicken and place in fridge for one to two days turning the chicken over every so often. Two days is better.

Whisk together the following: 3 cups of all purpose flour, preferably King Arthurs, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, a tablespoon of garlic powder, a tablespoon of salt, 3 teaspoons of dry mustard, 3 teaspoons of cayenne pepper and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Put all of this in a glass baking dish, the one you use to make lasagna and add the chicken one piece at a time to the dish. Don't shake up the buttermilk marinade. Turn each piece a few times to coat evenly. Let this stand an hour or so and turn the pieces a couple more times during this hour.

I use a cast iron pot to cook the chicken. It is deep so I don't get burned and it holds a consistent temperature. Put about and inch and a half of peanut oil in the pot. Some folks use Crisco or lard, but peanut oil is just as good and less likely to give you a heart attack.

Put in a deep frying thermometer and bring oil to 350. Put in 4 pieces, skin side down and immediately reduce heat to medium low and cook 5 minutes. Try to keep the oil at 280 to 300 during this time. Turn the chicken with wooden spoons. Anything else will "disturb" the wonderful fried skin and then cook another 7 minutes at the same temperature. Turn one more time and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes longer.

Then let it sit for 2 hours on a rack sitting over a baking sheet. It will be warm but not hot when you serve it.

There are only 2 legs. Draw straws for who gets them. If you make mashed potatoes to go with this, use some of the left over oil to make the gravy. Remember to bring the oil back up to 350 when you cook the rest of the chicken pieces.

Do not share this recipe with you doctor. We eat this twice a year! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    Moving this here so we don't hijack the ATTroll thread. After all, we don't want him to get lost in the cooking. He needs to stay on the trail.

Dan - all the recipes in the world don't make up for the memory you recounted. We had a meal at my brother's in-law's when we visited them in SC. His mother-in-law is a true southern lady in every sense of the word. We could have the same meal here and it wouldn't be as good.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Thanks for the recipe.....but when do we go to your house for the sample dinner????
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I think you're right but I can still put together some wicked good chicken, although a true Southerner would never say "wicked good." For those of you who don't mind making a mess in your kitchen here you go.

Get a 3 to 3 and 1/2 pound fryer chicken and ask the butcher to cut it up if you dont know how. This will be enough for 4 people.

In a one gallon plastic sealable bag mix 2 cups of buttermilk with one tablespoon of onion powder, one of salt, a teaspoon of black pepper and one teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Put in the chicken and place in fridge for one to two days turning the chicken over every so often. Two days is better.

Whisk together the following: 3 cups of all purpose flour, preferably King Arthurs, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, a tablespoon of garlic powder, a tablespoon of salt, 3 teaspoons of dry mustard, 3 teaspoons of cayenne pepper and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Put all of this in a glass baking dish, the one you use to make lasagna and add the chicken one piece at a time to the dish. Don't shake up the buttermilk marinade. Turn each piece a few times to coat evenly. Let this stand an hour or so and turn the pieces a couple more times during this hour.

I use a cast iron pot to cook the chicken. It is deep so I don't get burned and it holds a consistent temperature. Put about and inch and a half of peanut oil in the pot. Some folks use Crisco or lard, but peanut oil is just as good and less likely to give you a heart attack.

Put in a deep frying thermometer and bring oil to 350. Put in 4 pieces, skin side down and immediately reduce heat to medium low and cook 5 minutes. Try to keep the oil at 280 to 300 during this time. Turn the chicken with wooden spoons. Anything else will "disturb" the wonderful fried skin and then cook another 7 minutes at the same temperature. Turn one more time and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes longer.

Then let it sit for 2 hours on a rack sitting over a baking sheet. It will be warm but not hot when you serve it.

There are only 2 legs. Draw straws for who gets them. If you make mashed potatoes to go with this, use some of the left over oil to make the gravy. Remember to bring the oil back up to 350 when you cook the rest of the chicken pieces.

Well ~ why can't we add this one to our recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post

Gonna' start calling you The Colonel!
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.