vb:literal>

Thread: Magnets for GR caches

Question Magnets for GR caches

Where is a good place to purchase magnets to make GR caches? I got some at a big box office store, but they don't seem nearly as strong as most of the ones I have encountered in the field. TY.

Default Ty

Thanks Cano. Will check it out right now!

Default At Soundshapers

Sudonim has some really strong ones for sale in his Geocaching corner in his store in Brewer. It's called Soundshapers and they are near the Brewer airport.
    Happy Trails!

What size cache are you planning on putting on a Guard Rail? ha ha I generally stick to magnetic key holders for these types of hides.....

And the magnetic key holders do fine unless they're placed close to salt water. I have one in Camden that I've replaced twice and Chadd replaced once for me. My only criticism of the key holder is that they are not very weather resistant. If you can place them out of the weather, they do fine. GR's in Maine are covered with snow in winter months and that's when the problems start. Put your log in a plastic bag which will help, at least for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    What size cache are you planning on putting on a Guard Rail? ha ha I generally stick to magnetic key holders for these types of hides.....
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

This is where I get mine. Fast delivery too.

And always keep your eyes open when in Marden's. I have found great magnets there as well as Pelican boxes (waterproof locking top containers). They have also been known to have ammo cans and camo tape too.

Wow!!! Thanks to all!

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    And the magnetic key holders do fine unless they're placed close to salt water. I have one in Camden that I've replaced twice and Chadd replaced once for me. My only criticism of the key holder is that they are not very weather resistant. If you can place them out of the weather, they do fine. GR's in Maine are covered with snow in winter months and that's when the problems start. Put your log in a plastic bag which will help, at least for a little while.
    The baggie for the log inside them really does wonders. The more quality magnetic key holders, I have seen hold up well when covered in a spot like a guard rail, or placed under something to shield them from the harsher elements. I also usually put cammo duct tape around it, which makes it look more "Geo-relevant" and also shields the metal on the bottom where the magnets are, from moisture which will create rusting issues. I have one out on my Dire Strights:Tribute to the Death Squad cache GC21KNP

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...3-eb6d1e1a1f8d

It's holding up very well way out there in the elements!