vb:literal>

Thread: Android OS

Default Android OS

Is anyone using a geocaching "app" for the Android OS? Any thoughts or opinions welcome.

Have loaded GeoBeagle as well as GPS Status, but have not used them yet. I still pretty happy with Cacheberry on the Blackberry.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I am and so far the one I like best has been CacheMate.

I have Geobeagle on my phone but have not been as impressed with the operation as well as the fact that i can not log caches with it.

GCDroid was less impressive and only made it a few days.

Cache 'n' Go was another I tested and only made it a few days mostly cause I did not like how it handled.

Geoorg looks interesting but I have not been able to download it cause of cc issues and paying in euro's.

I can give you more if you would like or let me know some time and we can et together and I can show you what I have loaded.

Thanks, Rob. For the moment, I'll stick with Cacheberry for paperless and just experiment with the apps.

MOU, any thoughts?

Default GeoBeagle

I too have GeoBeagle on my Droid but haven't really taken the time yet to play much. Seems the winter's snow has put a damper on my desire to spend a lot of time searching for now. Eventually I'll be going back out after Island Hoppers and the Homeworld series up here while things are frozen and I'll be able to compare the phones accuracy to an actual GPS. I do like the fact that I wont require cell service if i need to look up the cache page for hints or previous logs. I also like the fact that I can open up Google Maps and it displays all the local unfounds so I can utilize turn by turn for those areas I've never been to. Currently, I have to kind of do a lot of map scrolling and zooming on my 60csx or listen to the constant beeping telling me to make a u turn because I don't have a street map loaded and Im not going the way Garmin would like me to.
    The first thing I took the time to do was experiment with loading my pq's into it as this doesnt require freezing outdoors. Found it very easy to load the PQ's into it and I have the whole state loaded. I did however find something right away that I don't like about it, in that it automatically filters out found caches. My PQ's are for the whole state, found and unfound yet GeoBeagle doesn't appear to let you see caches that are already logged as found. In the 500+ caches I've found, I could probably remember exactly where each was located if I looked at a bit of the description but there are so many out there just in the Bangor area that I cant remember a location just based off a name. It would be nice to have that info in the phone incase someone ever asks. I should be able to get down to the event next weekend if you don't have it and wanna see. In the mean time for those that don't have access, I'll see if I can find an app that allows for screenshots and post some pictures.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Cool T-Mobile G1

I use the T-Mobile G1 with the Android app called C.Geo and it works great the radar navigation is very accurate and allows me to log the find right from the site of the Cache to the Geocaching website directly. It bring up all local caches in the area I am in based on my GPS location at the time and gives me the full website info. it also updates the google map that shows caches in the area I am in so I can see what I have done already with Smileys just like the main website. My daughters and I have had great fun using this so far.
    Lord_Nightwing

I'm developing my own geocaching application for Android. If you can tell me what you like and don't like on another geocaching applications you've tried, I can build it into mine
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Nightwing View Post
    I use the T-Mobile G1 with the Android app called C.Geo and it works great the radar navigation is very accurate and allows me to log the find right from the site of the Cache to the Geocaching website directly. It bring up all local caches in the area I am in based on my GPS location at the time and gives me the full website info. it also updates the google map that shows caches in the area I am in so I can see what I have done already with Smileys just like the main website. My daughters and I have had great fun using this so far.
    Lord_Nightwing
    Just took a quick look at this, be interesting to give it a try. Haven't been too impressed with some of the other apps available but this one has some nice features.
    Most important thing is that you're having fun!

Default Droids...

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Just took a quick look at this, be interesting to give it a try. Haven't been too impressed with some of the other apps available but this one has some nice features.
    Most important thing is that you're having fun!
    I have just recently started playing with C:geo and like it a bit more than the others. Ive died down in my caching for a while due to another hobby thats come up but that one seems decent as its very easy to just pull the info for nearby caches. I'll see what I can do to create an article on each of the free services, advantages, disadvantages, and try to include screenshots.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry