Thread: Heavy tick season?

Default Heavy tick season?

Is it me, or are the ticks out in full force this Spring/Summer? We started geocaching last July, and got a total of 1 tick (in November). This Spring we've been getting ticks every time we go out (we had a total of 11 on the 3 of us a couple of weeks ago!). We've been covering ourselves in bug spray, wearing light clothing, etc. and doing tick checks like crazy, cold showers and so on. Now this morning we found a tick on the cat...our *indoor* cat, and it turned out to be a deer tick (the vet confirmed)! Are ticks typically more plentiful in the Spring? Or should we just wait for December to continue caching again! What do you more experienced cachers do to combat the tick season? Thanks!

Ticks are plentiful this year. It's been discussed on another thread. Try to find a bug spray with a higher level of DEET, it's worked well for us. Removal of ticks has been discussed as well, it's best to try to remove them intact. It's recommended to not use the old wive's tale remedies like covering them with Vaseline.

Thanks for the info! Here's the link to the other thread if anyone's interested:
    http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum...ighlight=ticks

I did not see any ticks until this year and I use to do a lot of high grass bushwhacking.

The strange thing is that when I find them it is at 2AM crawling on my arm. This is many hours after I was out. The only thing I can think of is that I eat a lot of garlic.

The tick's are heavy about twice as heavy as last year.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

And this is why we should all hope and pray for lots of snow and cold for this coming winter . . . of course I must admit I have an ulterior motive here as well . . . snowmobiling.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Talking Tick Warning

I hate it when people forward bogus warnings, and I have even done it myself a couple of times unintentionally but this one is real, and it's important.

Please send this warning to everyone on your e-mail list.

If someone comes to your front door saying they are checking for ticks due to the warm weather and asks you to take off your clothes and dance around with your arms up.....

DO NOT DO IT!! THIS IS A SCAM!!
    They only want to see you naked.

I only wish I'd gotten this yesterday. I feel so foolish.

Thanks for warning Kev. I had a woman tick checker here 4 times last week. She looked hard each time but didn't find any ticks whatsoever. I think it's because all I did last week was work. But it is very thoughtful of her to make these checks!

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    I hate it when people forward bogus warnings, and I have even done it myself a couple of times unintentionally but this one is real, and it's important.

Please send this warning to everyone on your e-mail list.

If someone comes to your front door saying they are checking for ticks due to the warm weather and asks you to take off your clothes and dance around with your arms up.....

DO NOT DO IT!! THIS IS A SCAM!!
    They only want to see you naked.

I only wish I'd gotten this yesterday. I feel so foolish.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Sheesh! A "tick checker"??? I thought she was a Jehovah's Witness, and didn't answer the door!