vb:literal>

Thread: Kennebec Land Trust

Default Kennebec Land Trust

We have contacted the Kennebec Land Trust, or more specifically, one of the Town of Readfield Conservation Easement held by the Kennebec Land Trust to get permission to place a multi-cache on land owned by them. We met with a gentleman today to show him what we were doing and he gave us permission to place the caches. In our conversation with him, he said the Land Trust was aware of geocaching and knew of a few caches that had been placed on land held by the Kennebec Land Trust. He said they had never been contacted for permission before and was greatful we had done so. His only request was that no caches be placed in sensitive areas or in places that would cause people to pass through sensitive areas.

Anyone who has a cache within the boundaries of any of the Kennebec Land Trust areas, please think about how it was placed and if in an area that might be sensitive (whether it be low lying and wet or in an area where there are some plants that are uncommon) take time to remove it so that we don't get a bad name and lose access to these great trail systems here in Kennebec County.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    We have contacted the Kennebec Land Trust, or more specifically, one of the Town of Readfield Conservation Easement held by the Kennebec Land Trust to get permission to place a multi-cache on land owned by them. We met with a gentleman today to show him what we were doing and he gave us permission to place the caches. In our conversation with him, he said the Land Trust was aware of geocaching and knew of a few caches that had been placed on land held by the Kennebec Land Trust. He said they had never been contacted for permission before and was greatful we had done so. His only request was that no caches be placed in sensitive areas or in places that would cause people to pass through sensitive areas.

Anyone who has a cache within the boundaries of any of the Kennebec Land Trust areas, please think about how it was placed and if in an area that might be sensitive (whether it be low lying and wet or in an area where there are some plants that are uncommon) take time to remove it so that we don't get a bad name and lose access to these great trail systems here in Kennebec County.
    A few years back I worked with the KLT when I lived in waterville, Brdad and I even mapped the trails for mt. pisgah for them. I kept them updated about the caches on the KLT (which did have permission by the KLT) Mapachi has also worked with them quite a bit and has some of his own caches on KLT land. We even had to have a few removed because they were in sensitive areas. They're good people to work and have always been pretty reasonable with cachers that placed caches on their property without knowing they were on KLT lands, we would contact the cacher and meet with them or check on the cache to make sure it was in an OK spot. I haven't done much with them in the last few years since I moved, but glad to see they're still willing to work with cachers.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

The gentleman we met with was a very nice man. He said they had found geocaches on some of the land they managed before and didnt necessarily mind them being there but that this was the first time they had been contacted for permission. Perhaps he refered to just our area. Not 100% sure there. His concern with them was just preventing them from being placed in "sensitive areas". Makes sense. The good news is they gave us permission for more places than we were asking for! so that was very cool hehe
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

I am working with a different land trust. They came to us to get help. When I informed them about the caches on the land the land trust take care of it had no idea any where out there.

People have to get permission period. If you see any on any of these lands the hider should be asked questions.

You'll get calls from the cops otherwise.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I once asked some places for permission and was denied and yet recently caches have been popping up there. I am sure permission was not given as I don't believe the other people were so much more charming than me that they talked them into it.

I also have a group of 10 that have been on a preserve since winter and the trust has closed the land for finishing the trails up since spring and I archived them until they open the land back up. Just this week I got notices that two seperate cachers went onto the closed land and logged my archived caches. I hope I don't get forced to remove them because of this.

Just so ya know... The Belgrade Regional Conservation Alliance allows them too. I contacted them a couple years ago and they are happy to have caches with the same understanding.

Hollora was actually the first contact with the Orono Land Trust after a few caches had been placed out there with bad coordinates. Hollora contacted the hider and got everything straightened out with them. After that Hollora was tied up with many other projects and handed the project over to me. We have been working on a plan to put some more out there. There is a lot of sensitive land and other issues that need to be respected, so placing caches willy nilly is a very bad idea.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

The land we placed ours on is owned by Readfield and isn't controlled by the Kennebec Land Trust. However, they appear to be affiliated with the KLT. We are currently only looking at where we gained permission for, the land owned by Readfield.

The property we asked about is and i quote "owned by the town of readfield conservation easement held by the kennebec land trust"
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

I have several caches on KLT land (five caches to be exact) and have got permision for all of them. Some places do have caches placed without permision, but the main office in Winthrop knows of them as well as where they are (I told them) and they are alright with those but want all others to get permission. Like said above; they are sensitive to the flora and fauna.