vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I've fallen and need to cache up!

Default I've fallen and need to cache up!

I know, Corny. I've been a complete geo-slacker lately. I've always vowed never to let kids, family, work, coaching, vacations and life get in the way of my caching but it has. After posting my best year ever last year, I've really had only one good day out this year and I'm sitting at 904 caches. I need motivation! I see all kinds of great kayak caches and a few new power runs pop up over the last few months. When life gets you down, what do you guys do to motivate yourselves? My only success has been keeping up with cache maintainance issues (LT, I'm off to check on Frenches Mountain Recycled tonight). I need the kick in the rear, help!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    I know, Corny. I've been a complete geo-slacker lately. I've always vowed never to let kids, family, work, coaching, vacations and life get in the way of my caching but it has. After posting my best year ever last year, I've really had only one good day out this year and I'm sitting at 904 caches. I need motivation! I see all kinds of great kayak caches and a few new power runs pop up over the last few months. When life gets you down, what do you guys do to motivate yourselves? My only success has been keeping up with cache maintainance issues (LT, I'm off to check on Frenches Mountain Recycled tonight). I need the kick in the rear, help!
    Focus man . . . focus . . . keep your eye on the ball and the truly important things in life . . . like getting more Smiley faces.

Of course I'm joking . . . family and work most definitely should come first in the list of priorities . . . but that said . . . there are caches to be found and vacation days to use!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Most consecutive days with finds: 8, from 3/15/09 to 3/22/09
    Most consecutive days without a find: 173, from 9/23/08 to 3/14/09

Sometimes life just gets in the way!
    We've had a slow year too, although I think we have talked to more cachers than any other year, thanks to the events we have attended, and the new visitors to chat help keep the spirit up. Lee's last chemo is this coming Wednesday and hopefully she'll regain her energy some soon after.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Watch an adventure movie or something like that. It's all about the treasure and the adventure. Smiley faces fah.

All the best to Lee.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default Less caching, more family!

Hey, it happens. Look at my numbers over the past 2 months...not very impressive for a supposed "power cacher." But, come see our yard and the effort we've put into our gardens. Plus, believe it or not, the amount of real estate work my office has been doing since March is at least double from what it was last year so I have to be a bit more "responsible" then I'd like to be.

And then there are unplanned health issues that we have been fortunate to avoid (thank God for that) but there are several of our fellow cachers that have not been so lucky, but at least for folks like Lee, Patrick and Shotgun, the news is thankfully positive.

So sometimes the numbers are not only the least of our concern but maybe no concern at all. Di and I will get our share of caches and in the meantime we just enjoy every day, caching or not!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

and the new visitors to chat help keep the spirit up.

Yay! That's me!

Default Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Watch an adventure movie or something like that. It's all about the treasure and the adventure. Smiley faces fah.

See Splinterheads if you haven't already...Maybe that will do it for you.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Default Lost the bug?

I myself haven't done a single cache since Mike's Mystery Tour Event. Not sure what happened that killed the bug for me but for now its just not there. I know there are several untouched (by me) caches in Bangor and Orono that I'll get to once I catch the bug again and I'm back at it. It makes me feel terrible that during the prime caching months, I choose to do other things and will probably be kicking myself once winter comes and I want to get out there due to cabin fever.

It does seem to drive me a bit when someone asks about it who's never been before and wants to try. Perhaps that's what I need...You dont get any virtual smiles when you re-visit but the smiles on a kids face when they find a treasure are worth the trip...I guess I know what I need to do to try and revive the bug...
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Meh, same here. My "premium" membership is going to expire soon and I don't think I'm going to renew it. I've found over 900 caches, visited some nice places, but it's kind of repeating now. It needs something new, maybe more whereigo caches, exciting challenges or something completely new?
    Moo

My drive to cache has not dropped, only the time I have available. The funny part is, at least for me, is with all the caches available now it actually takes more preparation to plan the type of adventure I want to experience. Some people claim to like all caches and am happy doing a million similar ones any size any place anywhere. If that works for you, great. There are few caches I won't do, but I do prefer to do caches that will teach me something or show me a new place. Unfortunately, there is no attribute for that so it takes a fair amount more research to help insure quality time spent than it used to only a few years ago.

There are many caches in unknown spots or are otherwise new or original, you just need to plan some and think outside your normal technique of caching. Going to the most cache dense area is not always the best bet.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-29-2010 at 12:59 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."