vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I've fallen and need to cache up!

Default Blah

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    My drive to cache has not dropped, only the time I have available. The funny part is, at least for me, is with all the caches available now it actually takes more preparation to plan the type of adventure I want to experience. Some people claim to like all caches and am happy doing a million similar ones any size any place anywhere. If that works for you, great. There are few caches I won't do, but I do prefer to do caches that will teach me something or show me a new place. Unfortunately, there is no attribute for that so it takes a fair amount more research to help insure quality time spent than it used to only a few years ago.

There are many caches in unknown spots or are otherwise new or original, you just need to plan some and think outside your normal technique of caching. Going to the most cache dense area is not always the best bet.

Agreed...You've seen one guard rail, you've seen most of em. I think thats the biggest thing. Film canister in the plastic sheathing of a telephone pole guide wire? Cmon? What the heck is the reason for being at that location? I know there are a ton of great caches out there and I'm sure I'll get at them at but when I take a roadtrip with the kids, its to someplace fun where they can get out and have fun.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Agreed...You've seen one guard rail, you've seen most of em. I think thats the biggest thing. Film canister in the plastic sheathing of a telephone pole guide wire?
    Sheesh! I like the magnetic-nano in the public phone box. I ALWAYS check the coin return...

gaurd rails and nanoshave their purpose. For us we do them as a break from riding to the big treasure that we are heading for. We "cache" our way to our destination, and if we are not to tired after the "BIG ONE" we will come home another route and cache our way back. It makes the destination more rewarding in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by team barbieri View Post
    gaurd rails and nanoshave their purpose. For us we do them as a break from riding to the big treasure that we are heading for. We "cache" our way to our destination, and if we are not to tired after the "BIG ONE" we will come home another route and cache our way back. It makes the destination more rewarding in the end.

Plus they are great for rainy days

It's not the cache, it's the journey.

I have found that no matter where the cache hunt takes me, I find beauty...
    Of course I have never been on any cruises with Cano! (I can't get that red purse out of my mind!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    It's not the cache, it's the journey.

I have found that no matter where the cache hunt takes me, I find beauty...
    Of course I have never been on any cruises with Cano! (I can't get that red purse out of my mind!)
    I was also wearing thongs and lipstick later, but I don't have a picture
    Moo

Thank God!
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I have to agree with Team B and Mapachi . . . yeah, sometimes the guard rail on a busy highway is nothing to speak about . . . and it's rare to find a lamp post cache in a parking lot that is simply amazing (although I can think of one LPC in Skowhegan which was pretty neat when it was first put out thanks to Laughing Terry) and those film canisters in the telephone pole often don't have much of a view . . .

But that said, like Team B, I often incorporate caching into any longer trips I'm doing . . . for example, this past weekend I drove down to Wiscasset and Biddeford as I'm considering purchasing a new (well new to me) truck . . . rather than just drive from Point A to Point B as fast as possible I got my kid brother to come a long and we meandered down there and back, caching along the way, enjoying the hunt, catching up with other, etc. What could have been a routine "shopping" trip turned out to be a fun day . . . so I certainly will not begrudge the occasional GRC.

The other thing is that not all GRCs have to be ho-hum . . . in fact one of those GRCs I did had a nice view of Damariscotta . . . and I think of the Mainely Rose series of caches by Becket, CacheMaine and Hollora (the one by CacheMaine with the Belfast Bay was particularly pretty) . . . and Mapachi's view of True Pond was quite spectacular as the light was fading fast and the pond was quite serene looking as day was slipping into night.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

JustPJ and I cache pretty much the same way. We really like to find caches that take us somewhere with a nice view or a history lesson or the like. We do grab GRC's along the way. We found a disguised nano on a sign post just yesterday and really like the effort the cache owner put into the hide in plain sight. We're not anti-micro or anti-micro but if that's all there was out there, we'd not be doing this and I wouldn't have spent so much money on geocaching. I would have tried to find another excuse for the laptop though.

oops - anti-micro or anti-nano