vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ferry Beach 2001 cache?

I don't know the specifics about Ferry Beach (ironically, it was my first ever find!), but some land managers would consider any cache in violation of Rules 1 and 10.

On the other hand, there is a lot of support for Geocaching. Pat McGowen, then Maine's Conservation Commissioner, listed Geocaching as one of the activities encouraged at Maine's parks when a few local cachers were recognized as "land steward's of year" by the Androscoggin Land trust!

One thing that really irritates park managers is when hiders place a cache with out permission or with permission from the wrong person.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Look at what the cache page says about access.............there is parking at and a trail map sign and then alternative parking.........is this perhaps to circumvent paying to enter the park?

I hope the Cache Owner (the one who should do this) goes to visit the Park Manager and discuss what may be issues and perhaps work towards an equitable resolve. Although this cache has been in place since 2001, maybe no one has revisited the park manager to continue their blessing (if given originally) and thank them.

There may be some simple steps to be taken for this cache to remain in this park - the Cache Owner has this discovery and negotiation in their hands, if they wish to pursue it.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    I don't know the specifics about Ferry Beach (ironically, it was my first ever find!), but some land managers would consider any cache in violation of Rules 1 and 10.

On the other hand, there is a lot of support for Geocaching. Pat McGowen, then Maine's Conservation Commissioner, listed Geocaching as one of the activities encouraged at Maine's parks when a few local cachers were recognized as "land steward's of year" by the Androscoggin Land trust!

One thing that really irritates park managers is when hiders place a cache with out permission or with permission from the wrong person.
    Good points TAT. Then again, I would hope that there is consistency within the State Parks here in Maine. Look at Bradbury Mountain State Park! There are like 30 or 40 caches in there. Have they all been placed with permission?

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    I hope the Cache Owner (the one who should do this) goes to visit the Park Manager and discuss what may be issues and perhaps work towards an equitable resolve. Although this cache has been in place since 2001, maybe no one has revisited the park manager to continue their blessing (if given originally) and thank them.
    I could not agree more. This should be handled by the cache owner and only the cache owner unless that owner does not follow through or is no longer active (which is not the case with this cache). Having 20 members contacting the land managers with their own opinions is sure to annoy them all the more and risks the cache owner look like an ass.

I am all for offering the cache owner advice and/or support but any conversations with the land manager should be left to one person - the cache owner.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-29-2010 at 10:22 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Hollara, Could you EM me as well, as I am also wondering what happened at this park.
    Thanks.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

Hiya, All,

This thread got started while I was at work.

I adopted the cache about a year ago when the previous owners moved out of the area. Instead of seeing the cache archived, I said that I would adopt it, and I did. The first problem that I heard regarding this cache was the message from the last person to find the cache, saying that I needed to contact the Park Manager and pick up the cache(it sounds like the park manager has the cache in hand). I have called the number provided, but I have not received a return call as of yet. I will call again tomorrow, and swing by if I don't get a response (it's only about six miles from where I live). If I have to archive the cache, I'll be disappointed, but life goes on.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Default True Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    If I have to archive the cache, I'll be disappointed, but life goes on.
    Life does go on and this is only a geocache. That being said, I've e-mailed a cache owner of a few caches that are among the class of 2001 hides. Haven't heard back yet, and I managed to find two e-mail addresses for the CO. He hasn't been active since last September and then only visited the gc.com site. We'll see.

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I could not agree more. This should be handled by the cache owner and only the cache owner unless that owner does not follow through or is no longer active (which is not the case with this cache). Having 20 members contacting the land managers with their own opinions is sure to annoy them all the more and risks the cache owner look like an ass.

I am all for offering the cache owner advice and/or support but any conversations with the land manager should be left to one person - the cache owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    Life does go on and this is only a geocache. That being said, I've e-mailed a cache owner of a few caches that are among the class of 2001 hides. Haven't heard back yet, and I managed to find two e-mail addresses for the CO. He hasn't been active since last September and then only visited the gc.com site. We'll see.
    Completely disagree.

Like most everything else this can just be the beginning. As you can see from the interest generated with this simple post there is a lot of concern for this issue.

This is not only a geocache. This is all geocaches in State parks, municipal parks, Land Trust agencies and any place else where an agency or organization will ban caches for a reason or issue that could be taken care of now before it becomes a federal project.

My interest is in the reason for this decision by the Park Manager. I have the time and the avoidance issue intrigues me.

I was in State law enforcement and in a division that had great authority to interpret and modify the regulations, so decisions had to be backed up by logic and fact. If these employees of the State are making decisions that are affecting me, the tax payer and many other citizens of these lands, I demand, deserve, and have a right to an answer. Right or wrong the decision must be explained. If the Manager or anyone else is annoyed by questions about their actions then they need to be in another profession and I 'm willing to help with that determination. These people are employees of the tax payers. They answer to us.

Now, I agree, NativeMainer should take the lead on this specific issue.

Anyone afraid of asking questions because they are afraid of annoying a public official seems way out of line. And if the public official is annoyed by these questions they need to be removed from that position immediately. Having 20 or 100 people asking the same questions will have a positive impact in the show of concern on this issue. They will quickly find out that we the people will not be intimidated.

These public officials are getting out of control and I for one will not stand for it.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

But this thread was originally aimed at one cache in one state park.

If we want to work out issues with all caches in all state parks, I think it is still best to have a dedicated, organized individual or group approach the entities controlling all the parks. That was part of the reason this site was formed - so that in these cases we can pool our resources and ideas and communicate with landowners effectively. I would love it if gcmaine had ongoing communication with state park authorities as well as other landowners that would benefit both sides.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

That is an excellent idea. I think we should show a united entity. We should make contact and the flow of information will begin. All the officials I have dealt with are very ignorant of geocaching or how it works beyond the very basic. Some have completely skewed perspectives.

I don't see the direct connection here. This thread was started to discuss this particular issue and instance. I want to know why this Manager has taken this action? If his issues are something that is going on in other parks it can be taken care of here before it becomes a problem in the other areas. He is a public official and has a fiduciary responsibility of explain his actions.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.