vb:literal>

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ferry Beach 2001 cache?

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    OK, new status update: First, it looks like the number I dialed other other day was a wrong phone number (I realized this a short while ago). The person who's answering machine I left a message on was probably scratching his/her head and just deleted the message.

Anyhoo, I called today. I left a message. The park manager did give me a call back (yay! progress!). The gist of the conversation is like this: He does not have a problem having a cache within the borders of the state park. He does, however, have a problem with the cache being off trail and for that reason the cache is now in his hands (and yes, the cache was about 50 feet off the trail, this is where it was when I adopted the cache, and when I checked up on it back in April, I saw no reason to move it as I had no idea there was a concern about it's placement). I asked him if there was a place that I could place the cache that would meet his requirements and he said he would look around and give me a call sometime in the middle of next week.

So, at this moment, it looks like Ferry Beach Cache will survive. I will update the GC listing to reflect any changes and probably change the parking info a little bit as well (I know some expressed that concern here, that was not something that the park manager brought up).
    Sounds like wonderful progress. Thank you Maine Native for working so diligently on this. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    But this thread was originally aimed at one cache in one state park.

If we want to work out issues with all caches in all state parks, I think it is still best to have a dedicated, organized individual or group approach the entities controlling all the parks. That was part of the reason this site was formed - so that in these cases we can pool our resources and ideas and communicate with landowners effectively. I would love it if gcmaine had ongoing communication with state park authorities as well as other landowners that would benefit both sides.
    This was the main reason that we started this website to begin with and that was to make sure that if any issue came up regarding the placing of caches then we would have exactly the correct answer and the resources to deal with this exact scenario. Glad you brought that to everyone's attention Dave.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

One of the recent cachers at the park was given a cache by a park ranger. The cache handed over to them was the "A Day at Long Pond" container. These folks were on their way home out of state and have tried to contact the cache owner with no results. Anyway, I have been in touch with the folks who have the container (which they would mail to the owner if they would answer their emails) and they have shared this comment and link with me for their home state - interesting!

"Don't know if this will help you build a case in Maine, but I pass it on anyway.
    I just learned this since we last communicated. Ga. has a very different attitude towards geocaching it seems. they have their own contest.

http://gastateparks.org/geocaching "

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    One of the recent cachers at the park was given a cache by a park ranger. The cache handed over to them was the "A Day at Long Pond" container. These folks were on their way home out of state and have tried to contact the cache owner with no results. Anyway, I have been in touch with the folks who have the container (which they would mail to the owner if they would answer their emails) and they have shared this comment and link with me for their home state - interesting!

"Don't know if this will help you build a case in Maine, but I pass it on anyway.
    I just learned this since we last communicated. Ga. has a very different attitude towards geocaching it seems. they have their own contest.

http://gastateparks.org/geocaching "

all the more reason... I have often given state parks the upper hand. but i have camped at many of them, and not been impressed. have visted pretty much every stat park in maine. although I do enjoy them, I find their goals to be very skewed... I told myself last year, no more camping in state parks, and after seeing this kind of stuff go on, and their attitude towards visitors and geocachers. I don't think I'll be setting foot in a state park in maine for quite a while.... sad.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    all the more reason... I have often given state parks the upper hand. but i have camped at many of them, and not been impressed. have visted pretty much every stat park in maine. although I do enjoy them, I find their goals to be very skewed... I told myself last year, no more camping in state parks, and after seeing this kind of stuff go on, and their attitude towards visitors and geocachers. I don't think I'll be setting foot in a state park in maine for quite a while.... sad.
    Did you go to the GA site and read what they are doing - not that is Cool!

I would love to see our state do something like that .....the kids would love it!!! not to mention a parent or grandparent or two hehe
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

You have to figure with all the extra cachers paying to get into the parks, they have plenty of money for the prizes and extra for the park.

After paying to get into Bradbury state park to cache and the ranger said they didn't have enough money to even provide me with a map, and other problems, I wouldn't cache in another Maine state park myself.

It would be nice to see the state be more open to ideas like Georgia.

I received an odd request regarding a cacher and the Maine State Parks Passport Program. Perhaps I'll tell the story in chat if anyone brings it up, names withheld of course.
    Last edited by brdad; 07-18-2010 at 08:11 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default PA has a similar challenge

We just completed the AGT (Allegheny Geo Trail) in northern Pennsylvania. You need to find 6 caches in each of 10 counties and stamp your passport at each find. When you present your completed passport, you get a coin for each county and a bonus coin if you completed all 10 counties. The coins are beautiful and the program was a cooperative effort of the local chambers of commerce.

Next year's Geo Woodstock is going to be right smack dab in AGT country. It took us 5 caching days (10-12 hours per day) to complete the whole challenge. *ALL* of the caches we found were ammo cans.

Allegheny Geo Trail
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country