vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS that works well under cover that won't break the bank

Default GPS that works well under cover that won't break the bank

A few guys on my department are wondering if there is a good GPS out there that works under cover for less than $200. All I have is the Oregons, which are a little too pricey for thier taste. Any reccomendations?
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

My e trex works "ok" under cover like in heavy trees but isnt as reliable as kevins magellen (i think it was the 400) was.
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

What do the "guys" want to do with the GPSr? Geocaching only or some other things - like spot waypoints, hiding caches, averaging, tracks, maps, routing, etc.

I do understand not wanting to spend big bucks, but determining the need and why may help. Sometimes it is better to save and get one which has more capablity than just get the least expensive one to get you by. A GPSr is an investment and a tool.

Haven't the guys heard the Boys with the toys story!?! I know it applies to Girls too - so not partiality here!

And on the topic - my daughter loves her Etrex - and finds as many as I do (she just doesn't log them anymore). Sometimes it isn't always the GPSr but it helps to get you there!

Oh dont get me wrong Hollora...I wouldnt trade my etrex for nuffin hehe
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

I was gifted the Etrex "H" when I left SC by my geocaching friends there and it was bought at REI for $50. It certainly is better than my old Etrex Vista when it comes to working under heavy cover. Might want to try that one out.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPJ66 View Post
    Oh dont get me wrong Hollora...I wouldnt trade my etrex for nuffin hehe
    Well, there you go - I still have one too - when it isn't out on loan..........

Talk to brdad about his antenna. Pam (JustPJ66) wants me to talk to him about one for her eTrex.

Paid under $200 for my Garmin 60csx. Works very well under the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    Paid under $200 for my Garmin 60csx. Works very well under the trees.
    Yes - I think that most people will agree that the Garmin 60csx is GREAT under cover, but I didn't mention it because I couldn't find a NEW one for close to $200.

But if your friends can meet an under $300 price, I think the 60csx is the way to go. I've never lost a signal with mine except when going through the "Big Dig" tunnels in Boston. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    Talk to brdad about his antenna. Pam (JustPJ66) wants me to talk to him about one for her eTrex.
    The re-radiating antenna I made works very well but I never used it much for caching. For one, geo-sense is more important than any antenna IMO. And the re-radiating antenna does a great job of amplifying the signals that are already there, but if you are in valley with only two sats in view, you will just get a better signal from those two. You might be lucky enough to pick a up a third that the GPSr would not. It does help some under tree cover, but most of the time I could find the cache in the time it took to hook up the re-radiating antenna.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."