vb:literal>

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dull posts

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    How do you figure a percentage for someone that has never found a cache but has placed two? One just came out yesterday (GC2BE5Y, Pot o gold) and the placer has never found a cache. Not sure how they even know what a cache is. I'd be interested in looking for it just to see what they came up with. Perhaps it's a new car.
    Nearly everyone's first reaction to someone with no finds is that they lack the experience to hide caches. And most of the time that probably is the case, but there are exceptions:

Those who hide caches under a different account. I have heard of a husband a wife team where the finds are under his account and the hides are under hers.

Those who have found caches with another cacher who logged the finds under that account.

Those who do not log their finds at all. There are cachers around who have 100s and 1000s of finds but never log them. There are also a few cachers who log all their finds as notes, which does not show on your find count. I don't think we have a lot of cachers that do not log in Maine, but I have several logs in the logbooks of my caches by cachers who did not log online. I have also met several people who say they have found caches but never log them, even the log book in the cache. Anyway, these cachers can hide their finds but they have to use an account to hide caches.
    Last edited by brdad; 07-10-2010 at 07:11 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

How do you figure a percentage for someone that has never found a cache but has placed two? One just came out yesterday (GC2BE5Y, Pot o gold) and the placer has never found a cache. Not sure how they even know what a cache is. I'd be interested in looking for it just to see what they came up with. Perhaps it's a new car.
    We see a lot of that rubbish down here.... I usually will take a look but never expect anything great. Generally, they should go on your ignore list.

Absolutely worth looking into. I can only speak for myself but when I tell people about caching, i describe an actual ammo box cache or one that is large enough to actually hold trade items and trackables. I completely leave out the part about GRC's and LPC's as they usually only contain a log and in most cases, thats not going to get someone hooked. If I take them to a cache, I take them either to my Loudest View cache as I know its constantly stocked with items besides McToys and things that might actually be of value to someone other than a child or we head into the BCF because there is only one cache there that doesnt have room for actual items. Teach a person what a good full size cache should be like and they'll be less likely to just throw out a micro out in a muggleable spot.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

I certainly would not pass up a cache hidden by someone with few or no finds. There is still a decent chance it is an original idea, perhaps a better chance than someone who has hidden 100+ caches. Worst case, the coords are off and you get a DNF or the cache is in a place it should not be and you help correct any errors.

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Teach a person what a good full size cache should be like and they'll be less likely to just throw out a micro out in a muggleable spot.
    I've had a theory for some time that is along these lines, and that is that a person's first few finds defines what kind of cacher that person will become. How many is up for debate, but I say about 25. If your first 25 are GRCs and you stick with the game, that's probably what you like. Same if you do mainly hike or kayak caches. There are always exceptions, however.

I'd be perfectly happy with caches like my first 25, including the one virtual I thought was quite lame when I did it but in comparison to some modern day hides it was great!
    Last edited by brdad; 07-10-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

How do you figure a percentage for someone that has never found a cache but has placed two?
    Because you all compute it wrong way, who started that?
    Try h/(f+h)
    Moo

I did that cache from the person with no finds today. DNF. On a private road, coordinates took me to the shed of a private camp. I didn't like ducking around someones property, plus it was pouring rain. Also, no clue. I won't be back.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I certainly would not pass up a cache hidden by someone with few or no finds. There is still a decent chance it is an original idea, perhaps a better chance than someone who has hidden 100+ caches. Worst case, the coords are off and you get a DNF or the cache is in a place it should not be and you help correct any errors.

I've had a theory for some time that is along these lines, and that is that a person's first few finds defines what kind of cacher that person will become. How many is up for debate, but I say about 25. If your first 25 are GRCs and you stick with the game, that's probably what you like. Same if you do mainly hike or kayak caches. There are always exceptions, however.

I'd be perfectly happy with caches like my first 25, including the one virtual I thought was quite lame when I did it but in comparison to some modern day hides it was great!

A interesting theory. My first 25 finds had a lot of "hide in plain sight" caches mixed in and my cache hides ......well, have more then a few hide in plain sight type hides.

I think we tend to emulate fellow cachers, who's hides impress us. For me it was Laughing Terry's hides. I think a lot of my first 25 cache finds were ones placed by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    I think we tend to emulate fellow cachers, who's hides impress us. For me it was Laughing Terry's hides. I think a lot of my first 25 cache finds were ones placed by him.
    You picked a good one to emulate!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Absolutely worth looking into. I can only speak for myself but when I tell people about caching, i describe an actual ammo box cache or one that is large enough to actually hold trade items and trackables. I completely leave out the part about GRC's and LPC's as they usually only contain a log and in most cases, thats not going to get someone hooked. If I take them to a cache, I take them either to my Loudest View cache as I know its constantly stocked with items besides McToys and things that might actually be of value to someone other than a child or we head into the BCF because there is only one cache there that doesnt have room for actual items. Teach a person what a good full size cache should be like and they'll be less likely to just throw out a micro out in a muggleable spot.
    I loved this cache . . . nice hike (but not too long), good cache container and a cool spot that I wouldn't have found if it wasn't for you and geocaching.

And I agree with you . . . not that there is anything wrong with a good micro or nano in the right time and place . . . but in this case a large ammo box was perfect . . . and as mentioned if folks start out expecting to see ammo boxes or decent Lock n' Lock containers when they decide to put out their own cache hopefully they'll remember what they found and what they liked to find and attempt to duplicate those caches.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I did that cache from the person with no finds today. DNF. On a private road, coordinates took me to the shed of a private camp. I didn't like ducking around someones property, plus it was pouring rain . . . and in the distance I could hear the banjo from Deliverance playing. Also, no clue. I won't be back.
    Hehheh . . . I fixed your quote Darterkitfox.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."