vb:literal>

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Dull posts

No one is saying there should not be prompt action when a cache is placed in a dangerous place. The cache owner disabled the cache in a prompt manner and most likely doesn't understand the difference between disabling and archival.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I don't agree.

The cache owner did not disable it in a prompt manner. The cache owner did not respond to any inquires. The cache owner did not ask for help when it was determined that there was a problem.

It is obvious that the cache owner doesn't know the difference and doesn't seem to care.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    I don't agree.

The cache owner did not disable it in a prompt manner. The cache owner did not respond to any inquires. The cache owner did not ask for help when it was determined that there was a problem.

It is obvious that the cache owner doesn't know the difference and doesn't seem to care.
    Maybe I missed it in this tread but what cache is being discussed? GC number please...........

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    I don't agree.

Maybe they did not want to ask for help for fear of being chewed out?!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

I'm curious about the GC code for this cache as well.

That said, if a cache was placed downrange on a shooting range, I'm with Mike....strong and quick action is the only reasonable choice. While it's a good trait to be temperate, it's also a good trait to be pro-active when something like this happens. I certainly made my share of newbie mistakes, heck I even logged a find on one of my own caches! (mainiac1957 sent me a nice note suggesting that was not within the spirit of the game) and I deleted it.

Sounds like this CO made a very stupid and potentially fatal mistake. How else should one act in response?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I've been told more than once, no names, no pointing out caches in the forums but I will email the code to the two people that asked. The owner wasn't prompt as I pointed out the problem and then it took a couple weeks for an answer, then a couple more to disable it. This is also a good reason for people to log DNF's as after several in a row, I know for a fact it prevented others from going to the cache until it was checked on. No DNF's and we may have had dozens going to the shooting range looking for it.

Thank you Duord. You are a wise sage.

Pot O' Gold GC2BE5Y
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I do not agree with hiding a cache so close to a shooting range and this one is NOT the first. I went for another cache that in the description it says it is near a shooting range but out of range and was hidden in 02.
    I agree that bad coords are a real pain. I went after a cache that the coords were 100 miles off! I have found caches that the coords were 100 or more feet off. The first was by a very experienced finder and hider.
    I know this camp very well as my son went there for 3 years and I have only the highest remarks for them and everything that they do! I find it hard to believe that it was done on purpose and I can understand the delay in the response.The last time my son went there laptops and cell phones were NOT allowed! No other electronic devices were allowed. I would guess that the counselor who helped with it was not able to check the logs until after camp.
    I usually never respond to these type of threads but I feel that new cachers would NOT feel welcomed here and would not seek help because of the way that these posts come across.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by shuman road searchers View Post
    I do not agree with hiding a cache so close to a shooting range and this one is NOT the first. I went for another cache that in the description it says it is near a shooting range but out of range and was hidden in 02.
    I agree that bad coords are a real pain. I went after a cache that the coords were 100 miles off! I have found caches that the coords were 100 or more feet off. The first was by a very experienced finder and hider.
    I know this camp very well as my son went there for 3 years and I have only the highest remarks for them and everything that they do! I find it hard to believe that it was done on purpose and I can understand the delay in the response.The last time my son went there laptops and cell phones were NOT allowed! No other electronic devices were allowed. I would guess that the counselor who helped with it was not able to check the logs until after camp.
    I usually never respond to these type of threads but I feel that new cachers would NOT feel welcomed here and would not seek help because of the way that these posts come across.
    I, too, am familiar with the camp and agree. Nothing was done intentionally or in malice. Work to help and teach them not condemn.

There was a local group which had the same thing happen (but not near a range) and after a little help it was fixed. Our game puts no experience requirements on placing caches - and I am not sure even that would fix some of the errors made.

Teach rather than condemn, help rather than criticise.

I remember a lot of folks who have published bad coords, not gotten permission and a bunch of other stuff - how quick we all are to forget our own mistakes...................JMHO

Well, let's see if Brad (mainiac1957) gets a response. Actually, the Bryant Pond cacher was on today so if he's got any sense of responsibility, Brad should have heard from him by now. Rookie mistake....but a very BAD error. And I agree, cachers with no finds that place caches usually place bad caches. It's not the first time this has happened. We should encourage new cachers to find a bunch before placing caches so that this type of issue can avoided.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.