vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Banned by Groundspeak?

Default Protocol

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    CavScout, I hope you continue to openly name names. There is a reason that people in this forum dislike openness.... because it exposes their hypocrisy, fraud, and childish behavior.

I am surprised I have yet to be banned from this forum, and there have been times that I have politely asked to be banned.
    Protocol is to not name names. CavScout would be doing the right thing to not name names here. Has nothing to do with hypocrisy, fraud or childish behavior.

Protocol is protocol.

... and there have been times that I have politely asked to be banned.
    Sheesh! I must have missed that...

CavScout, I hope you continue to openly name names. There is a reason that people in this forum dislike openness.... because it exposes their hypocrisy, fraud, and childish behavior.

I am surprised I have yet to be banned from this forum, and there have been times that I have politely asked to be banned.

I do agree with you on this one, if someone stands by something, hold them to it, not just in private. If it's what they really believe then let them defend their position. The naming of names not only brings credibility to the complaints but also serves as a warning to the rest of us. Now I'm not saying grab your torches and pitchforks because someone has spoken ill of these people, but use caution with all parties involved until everything has come to light and we can make a decision on our own by using all points of view. I suggest sending invites to the other people involved to join this forum. If the content is agreed upon by all that it is not suitable by the general public, why not move it to a spot where is can still be debated?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    I do agree with you on this one, if someone stands by something, hold them to it, not just in private. If it's what they really believe then let them defend their position. The naming of names not only brings credibility to the complaints but also serves as a warning to the rest of us. Now I'm not saying grab your torches and pitchforks because someone has spoken ill of these people, but use caution with all parties involved until everything has come to light and we can make a decision on our own by using all points of view. I suggest sending invites to the other people involved to join this forum. If the content is agreed upon by all that it is not suitable by the general public, why not move it to a spot where is can still be debated?
    I'm no lawyer, but maybe libel is an issue???

What Are Defamation, Libel and Slander?

Generally speaking, defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Slander involves the making of defamatory statements by a transitory (non-fixed) representation, usually an oral (spoken) representation. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.
    Typically, the elements of a cause of action for defamation include:
    1. A false and defamatory statement concerning another;
    2. The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (that is, somebody other than the person defamed by the statement);
    3. If the defamatory matter is of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher; and
    4. Damage to the plaintiff.

And we have attorneys in our company who may speak to this - again, a privately owned website here (as I know it).........and therefore the rules may be different.....again deferring to those of our legal family who may know.

I will say that Groundspeak has similar rules. You can debate a lot there as long as no one is personally named or can be identified.

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    I'm no lawyer, but maybe libel is an issue???

What Are Defamation, Libel and Slander?

Generally speaking, defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Slander involves the making of defamatory statements by a transitory (non-fixed) representation, usually an oral (spoken) representation. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

Typically, the elements of a cause of action for defamation include:
    1. A false and defamatory statement concerning another;
    2. The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (that is, somebody other than the person defamed by the statement);
    3. If the defamatory matter is of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher; and
    4. Damage to the plaintiff.
    It's not if you're using direct quotes from the person. Or calling them out to explain themselves. If that was the case everyone would be getting the pants sued off of everyone every elecetion year....

I agree with both of you, I just don't agree our forum is the place, especially in this case where the parties involved are not local. It was nice for Cav Scout to come in and discuss his situation since he was singled out in the OP. But no offense to him, we don't know him or any of the parties he was making accusations about, and this site was not created to be judge and jury to personal issues - the rules and moderation are not what they would need to be to accomplish this. Again, if enough people want it to be it can be voted on and our rules and mission can be changed. I just don't think that's what the majority wants.

Now if someone wants to set up geocachercourt.com and hear these matters, that could be an interesting site to visit....
    Last edited by brdad; 07-30-2010 at 06:29 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Now if someone wants to set up geocachercourt.com and hear these matters, that could be an interesting site to visit....
    hmmmm..... The sad thing is I think that would become all too popular within weeks....

Who is this? This can't be Hiram . . . it's a well-thought out, logical and reasonable statement that has nothing to do with beer, ATVs or food.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post

Judge Judy!!! Where are you???