vb:literal>

Thread: Parking coords?

Default Parking coords?

Maybe I have fried my brain in the heat but I do not see parking coords for F-101B Voodoo http://coord.info/GCKGW6. I am reading the logs and seeing bushwacking stories. Can someone give me a clue re parking with less bushwacking? TY.

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    Maybe I have fried my brain in the heat but I do not see parking coords for F-101B Voodoo http://coord.info/GCKGW6. I am reading the logs and seeing bushwacking stories. Can someone give me a clue re parking with less bushwacking? TY.
    Here is the access for the one you question. You can not drive around the Dedham side of Bald Mtn to get the best access point. From Rt 1A, the Bar Harbor Road, just after crossing the Ellsworth Town line look for the Winnkumpaugh Rd. Headed S on Rt 1A it will be on your right. Take this road and follow it. Look for Old Country Way on your right (or towards the mountain - your GPS should help at this point). It is a road into a new housing development of sorts.

When I found the cache the road ended in the driveway of the last house, hence the reason, we parked in a pull off a ways from the house and "bushwacked" in. Actually it wasn't to bad but it was a few years ago. We found debris we never would have seen if we had accessed it without bushwacking.

The non - bushwack way would be to park on the side of the road and walk to the end of the road. When we came out, we walked down from the cache Memorial (which is where the cache is located), to the large plane piece, and then followed what looked like a road or 4x4 trail, past a helicopter landing marker and right down to the end of the road (past the house) and on to our parked vehicle.

You probably could climb down from the top or bushwack some other way but this is the easiest way to me.

Most of the crash sites (there are 6 in the state) have vague, if any, directions. Only a few have good directions. If they have directions try to research them and follow them - and probably best not to rely on a Nuvi. ( to Ekidokai) Referring to a DeLorme Gazateer is sometimes helpful and especially when coordinated with the cache page and logs.

Hope this does the trip for you! Today would not be the day to access that cache or any of the others except the B-52 in Greenville (where you can drive very close in an air conditioned vehicle ). Good Luck on your quest!

Default Ty

Thank you for the info, Hollora! I did my first kayaking cache tonight, but I was very intersted in the crash site when I saw how close it was and I considered trying to get that one in too, until I couldn't figure out where to park. Sounds like a wonderful fall cache, to me.

Are there caches at the 6 other sites? I only knew about one other site in the state. Do you have a list? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    Thank you for the info, Hollora! I did my first kayaking cache tonight, but I was very intersted in the crash site when I saw how close it was and I considered trying to get that one in too, until I couldn't figure out where to park. Sounds like a wonderful fall cache, to me.

Are there caches at the 6 other sites? I only knew about one other site in the state. Do you have a list? Thanks again.
    As Mainiac1957 would say, "Why, yes there are!" There are many crashes in Maine but 6 with caches. Some of them easier than others and they are scattered all over the state.

Have a family obligation this week out of state but when I return, I will pass on the information about the others. The crash in Dedham is the closest to us anyway.

The B-52 site just outside Greenville is probably the most popular one out there. I think you'll find that its probably one of the most easy to get to, drivewise anyway. I went up last July for the second time and its one of the most amazing sites as the pieces look like the plane could have gone down in the last couple years.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Sent you the info
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.