vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loon Plate Days

Default Loon Plate Days

I haven't seen it started in any other threads....Loon Plate Appreciation Days are this weekend. Got a Loon Plate? State Park admissions are free for you..

http://www.thevalleyvoice.org/2010/0...y-17-18/20333/
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Sheesh! What an excellent idea! Thanks, state of Maine! You finally got something right.

(Trouble is, I'll be in Boston all weekend! )

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    I haven't seen it started in any other threads....Loon Plate Appreciation Days are this weekend. Got a Loon Plate? State Park admissions are free for you..

http://www.thevalleyvoice.org/2010/0...y-17-18/20333/
    Are there any other promotions for different plates? Like a free cow for Support Agriculture place?
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Are there any other promotions for different plates? Like a free cow for Support Agriculture place?
    Sheesh! FREE ZUCCHINI! LOL!

Default Loons

As some of you know, we live on 3 Mile Pond and one of our favorite things is enjoying the abundance of wildlife that we see almost everyday. We have 3 pairs of eagles on the lake and probably a dozen or more of loon families. The baby loons are now about 8 inches long and not riding on mom's back.

Well, this weekend and again today I watched the huge male eagle try to grab one of the baby loons! The mom did a great job of protecting her baby and I banged a stick on my dock that scared the eagle, somewhat, but an hour later he was back again. As near as I could see he didn't have loon for dinner but he sure wanted it!

So, I told Di that I shouldn't interfere with "nature's way" and she suggested I use one of my many shotguns to "frighten" the eagle." That won't happen because eagle's are chewey, like owl and I know I'd go to jail if I happened to hit the eagle.

So what would you all do? And for those who care, my computer crashed, we're leaving for vacation tomorrow, so any emails to dubord@fairpoint.net will never get there.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    So what would you all do? And for those who care, my computer crashed, we're leaving for vacation tomorrow, so any emails to dubord@fairpoint.net will never get there.
    Sheesh! You're going on vacation WITHOUT a computer? RULost2? are planning our vacation, and we'll have 2 laptops and a net book with us! LOL! (No chance that we'll miss what's going on at GeocachingMaine.org!)
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 07-14-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    As some of you know, we live on 3 Mile Pond and one of our favorite things is enjoying the abundance of wildlife that we see almost everyday. We have 3 pairs of eagles on the lake and probably a dozen or more of loon families. The baby loons are now about 8 inches long and not riding on mom's back.

Well, this weekend and again today I watched the huge male eagle try to grab one of the baby loons! The mom did a great job of protecting her baby and I banged a stick on my dock that scared the eagle, somewhat, but an hour later he was back again. As near as I could see he didn't have loon for dinner but he sure wanted it!

So, I told Di that I shouldn't interfere with "nature's way" and she suggested I use one of my many shotguns to "frighten" the eagle." That won't happen because eagle's are chewey, like owl and I know I'd go to jail if I happened to hit the eagle.

Week or two ago, I had the privilege of watching an eagle hunting while kayaking for about a half hour. Absolutely was captivating for me. Last year while camping on the east side of Azicohos Lake, I had the privilege of kayaking just after daybreak and having a young loon follow alongside the kayak. Again, absolutely captivating. I'd say, let's nature take it's course.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Eagles are special...........and we were blessed to have one soar over Amara's 3rd Birthday party on Monday.

Natures way... eagles are not chewy. I think owls have a great almond flavor. Eat what you catch and all is well.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Natures way... eagles are not chewy. I think owls have a great almond flavor. Eat what you catch and all is well.
    Sheesh! I caught a mouse and a raccoon last night. You want them? LOL!