vb:literal>

Thread: Caching on the 4th of July

Default Caching on the 4th of July

Hello everyone.... Risteen (Cooking Cacher) and I spent this past week in Washington, DC as a late honeymoon (we married on May 8th). Being in DC for the July 4th national fireworks was truly special. The line of people from all over the world waiting to see the actual Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights at our National Archives reminded us what a great country this is. There may be many people who hate us right now, but most people across the globe look to us with envy.

This week we saw the Wright Brothers first plane, Lindberg's Spirit of St. Louis, the plane in which Chuck Yeager first broke the sound barrier, John Glenn's capsule in which he circled the earth and returned, we touched a moon rock, and saw the actual Star Spangled banner which inspired the song. What a great country this is!

We also saw the X-15, America's first vehicle to go above our atmosphere into "outer space", which led to the Mercury and Gemini space flights. I mention this because Robert White and Robert Rushworth were the principle pilots of this craft, (there was one other minor player named Neil Armstrong) and Rushworth became only the second person in the U.S. to earn "astronaut" wings. Why is this important? Because Robert Rushworth grew up in, and grauated high school in, Madison, Maine.....my home town.

We also took the opportunity to drive down to Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello, where almost 100 people took their oath this week to become U.S. citizens. While in DC I picked up a few virtual caches along the national mall and surrounding area. Geocaches are located all across this great country and bring you to interesting places. The geocaches in Washington, DC are spectacular. But, then again, so are the caches within 100 miles of wherever you live in Maine.

Get out and enjoy all this country has to offer. Enjoy Maine and all of the other U.S. states as well. Geocaching brings you to some of the hidden and lesser known locations that might as well be national treasures.

Sounds like you spent a good deal of time at the Smithsonium. Isn't it grand!!!

Default Well said

Nice post Dan. Belated congratulations to you both!
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

DC is a great place to cache, lots of history! Not too many ammo boxes, however!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    Get out and enjoy all this country has to offer. Enjoy Maine and all of the other U.S. states as well. Geocaching brings you to some of the hidden and lesser known locations that might as well be national treasures.
    Congrats on your wedding! We hope you have as many happy years as RULost2? and I have (with many more to come).

We also echo your sentiments about getting out and enjoying the country. I know people locally who have never left Maine. Sheesh!

RULost2? and I will be in Boston next weekend. We plan on getting MBTA passes and spending the weekend sightseeing around the city, geocaching as we go.

In August we're heading to Illinois for #1 son's graduation. Two weeks of sightseeing, cuisine sampling, beer tasting and geocaching. LOL!

Another thread talks about routes to Halifax for the geocaching event. For those that are going by whatever route, take your time and sample the local culture. Look for fossils along the Bay of Fundy. Visit the Springhill Mine in Springhill, Nova Scotia, home of singer Anne Murray (Snowbird).

Get out and travel!

Ditto to that.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Congratulations on your marriage! I'm certain you folks will have many years of happiness! And thanks for the inspirational message about our nation's capitol. My wife and I haven't been, but we're planning on going when our daughter is a little bit older...I'm really looking forward to experiencing all the things you mentioned, and to sharing that experience with my little one!

One of the caches I recommend to anyone visiting the DC area is Did the Dr. kill him? (GCC6BC) by flowerman (2/1). It is a great piece of history and if you opt for the tour at the final (IIRC it was free - if not it was cheap), you will be rewarded with a viewing point of the DC area like no other.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

DC is a a pretty cool city to visit . . . and you can do so pretty cheaply. Visited a couple of times in my pre-geocaching days.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."