vb:literal>

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alert! Geocaching Dot Com and User AutoJoey

Exclamation Alert! Geocaching Dot Com and User AutoJoey

I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident but this was posted in the NH forums, figured I'd post it here just to give a heads up.

I woke this morning to ALL but 1 of my hides being found by User "AutoJoey"

This "User" signed up Sunday and has 1800+ Finds??

I dont think so..

I deleted the logs on my Hides.

Im thinking Groundspeak's computers have been infiltrated by a Hacker!!

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK IN THE LOGS!!!

Updat @ 6:25am: Now up to 2000 finds.
    This IS a BOT!

It brings you to some Wiki and has MALEWARE! (I know because when I clicked on it I lost my passwords and log in Info!!)
    Last edited by brdad; 10-04-2010 at 07:22 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I notified our reviewer (NH) an hour ago (6:22AM) and he is trying to get Groundspeak to axe the account. Still a mess to clean up though.

I did a quick scan. This person seems to have hit only NH caches. I only looked at maybe a dozen or so pages (he's up to 2250 caches now).

Has anything like this ever happened before?
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

I don't recall anyone automating logs destructively before, but it certainly would not be hard to do. I'm guessing if it has happened, they were caught quickly. The timing on this was good though, Sunday night when logs have been coming in fairly heavy anyway, and when the left coasters and gc.com workers are asleep.

It does seem to be localized to NH, so my first guess is they started with a random cache there and then logged one of the nearest caches on that list and so on. If that is the case it will spread to other areas if it is not stopped in time.

I'm not sure as there is any need to delete the logs outside of concern for malware infection mentioned, once gc.com gets started I think they can delete them all.
    Last edited by brdad; 10-04-2010 at 07:47 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Some of my NY caching friends have had the same thing happen. They have notified GC.COM.

A house is not a home without a cat.

We are in caching in Vermont and noticed that it happening here too. The caching name is JoeyBot and he logged over 1200 caches on 10/2.

Anniebananie

Happy to see this posted here. I had asked the NH website admin to post it here but presume he is working this AM.

Hopefully GC.com will take care of this.

3528 finds as of 10:00. I'm not sure what time gc.com starts their day, but it should not be long from now.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

I just glanced, 3553 now.

The gang at gc.com have their work cut out for them.