vb:literal>

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Disturbing Comments on Maines Oldest Cache

Non of those links worked for me. The Fort Williams Cache GC128.

I have been afraid of this as the media has done several stories on our sport of late and that is bound to attract unsavory characters.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    I have been afraid of this as the media has done several stories on our sport of late and that is bound to attract unsavory characters.
    This is not the first time I've heard of something like this happening. Or of someone purposely vandalizing a cache. I'll play the odds and give people in this game/sport the benefit of the doubt. I refuse to have my good time or my good nature spoiled by some malcontent, whom seem to be few and far between (thankfully).
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Hopefully kayakerinme will shed some light on the situation. It does happen - sad but true - but NativeMainer seems to have what I like as an idea.

Ekidokai has a good point which I have considered even when I was interviewed the first time back in 2003.

The more exposure the sport gets, the more accessible it is to the small percentage who would have more fun vandalizing than caching. More diverse members theoretically creates a larger quantity of more unique caches but it also gets the sport noticed and an easier target.

I don't believe that is the intent of this new cacher, but one could guess he has done little or no research on the sport before heading out.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

The Fort Williams Cache is in fine shape - one rusty ammo can just where it ought to be, and no signature from that individual.

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerinme View Post
    The Fort Williams Cache is in fine shape - one rusty ammo can just where it ought to be, and no signature from that individual.
    Well, that could be a newbie mistake as well.... Would be interesting to check out the other caches. Is there a rock beside it he could have lifted up? I forget...
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I sent the little punk a PM via his geoname. I would encourage others to do so as well.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Has anyone reported him to G.C. com? Maybe they should be aware of what he/she has posted in the online logs and has not signed the caches log book. The cahce owners might want to delete those logs also.

Sticky wickets for sure in many areas. I say this............

THANK YOU Kayakerinme for checking on this one and assuring it is in place and in tact.!

MY Thoughts - Don't bother the gruel - as to do so may activate him to REALLY do something.........if he can find the container. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I sent the little punk a PM via his geoname. I would encourage others to do so as well.
    Assuming if you are calling him a punk your message was less than friendly, where is the good that can come from this? If the person does have ill-content, he is most likely is looking for attention, so you're giving him what he wants. If the person is just making some newbie mistakes or is just not mature enough to understand what he is saying, 100 emails bashing him for his actions is not the best welcome!

If your message was friendly, then it might be a good thing, provided he is just making newbie mistakes.

It seems to me the best approach in these situations is to first be sure who we are dealing with. If it is a vandal, by all means find a quiet way to identify him and confront him or his parents. If it turns out he is making honest mistakes the let's welcome him and educate him.

We had someone a few years back vandalizing caches. Within a few days he was exposed, we had his address, phone number, web site, pictures. He was soon banned and didn't have a problem since.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!