vb:literal>

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Disturbing Comments on Maines Oldest Cache

Quote Originally Posted by Davidson 7 View Post
    I couldn't let this comment roll by without saying something, even though it's "off topic".

Bologna. Bullsh*t. Evidently Mike you don't know very many kids "noadays". Sure, there are a few who look for trouble, but in reality it's NO different than it's always been. I'm a mom of four--12, 17, 19, and 20. My 20 year old daughter is currently at Defense Information School for the US Marine Corp. My 19 year old son is a full time student at UMPI, with a full-time job, AND a member of the Maine Army Nat'l Guard. My 17 year old will be a senior in high school this year, and has spent her summer working at Moosehorn--and working damn hard-- for the Youth Conservation Corps. My 12 year old plays every sport going and goes out "fishing" on a boat out of Eastport a few times a week-- baiting, hauling traps, banding lobster. If you've ever worked on a boat you know it's not easy and can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Interestingly enough, these kids aren't exceptions, they're the norm. It's simply that they don't get the press that the few troubled ones do.
    Sounds like you have some great kids, the result (I feel) of having some great parents. We're very proud of the accomplishments our 2 boys (aged 29 and 30) as well.

But I would bet that the percentage of "failure" in our youth today is a lot higher than 20-30 years ago.

It is getting off-topic (but not the first time for this thread), but I am not sure the percentages are much higher. The numbers are higher and the accessibility of information for thugs of any age is much higher. Technology is great, but it unfortunately works for both sides.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    It is getting off-topic (but not the first time for this thread)
    Actually, not too far off topic, since a great part of this thread is about the behavior of kids (or at least one in particular...)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidson 7 View Post
    I couldn't let this comment roll by without saying something, even though it's "off topic".

Bologna. Bullsh*t. Evidently Mike you don't know very many kids "noadays". Sure, there are a few who look for trouble, but in reality it's NO different than it's always been. I'm a mom of four--12, 17, 19, and 20. My 20 year old daughter is currently at Defense Information School for the US Marine Corp. My 19 year old son is a full time student at UMPI, with a full-time job, AND a member of the Maine Army Nat'l Guard. My 17 year old will be a senior in high school this year, and has spent her summer working at Moosehorn--and working damn hard-- for the Youth Conservation Corps. My 12 year old plays every sport going and goes out "fishing" on a boat out of Eastport a few times a week-- baiting, hauling traps, banding lobster. If you've ever worked on a boat you know it's not easy and can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Interestingly enough, these kids aren't exceptions, they're the norm. It's simply that they don't get the press that the few troubled ones do.
    Yea Mary!
    Happy Trails!

Default Update

The cacher/newbie with the Fort Williams cache sent me a PM and now understands the error of his ways, although he says his dad didn't see a problem.

His log has been edited and he sounds to me like he won't pull this crap again.

So, brdad, want to scold me again?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    The cacher/newbie with the Fort Williams cache sent me a PM and now understands the error of his ways, although he says his dad didn't see a problem.

Of course, you know I live for scolding!

Glad it worked out and it is just a mistake. Despite my interpreted tone of your post, your note must have just been just nice enough. Either that, or you mentioned Joe Bornstein!

Good work.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Your results are appreciated Honorable Dubord! As for Dad not seeing a problem - so be parents today............but not me..........I just can't condone this stuff...............

Hello, did you see me passing you on the sidewalk with your cell phone glued to you ear??? Hello, did you see that truck which almost hit your butt? (So sad the loss of life recently near one of my cache sites - a child on a bike) Dad doesn't see a problem - of course not - no reprecussions.

Hello - there is a World, life, environment, people and things going on around you that is out there. If folks would de-connect from the I-Pod and Cell-Phone, they might connect with a real World which is living and breathing around them! Real people, real voices, real encounters and perhaps a chance to interact face to face. Put all this into the mix of consideration for Geocaching and you would scare a lot ot them away.

Put these items into the goals a parent emparts to their child and you have empowered children with a life skiil. Communication with community and a chance to feel a part. JMHO

Cache on - cache happy!

PS - nice event today - many thanks!

I did follow up with the young man yesterday with a note offering some "positive reinforcement" as they say.

As for today's kids, I'm with those that feel there is a dramatic difference in modern attitudes, some good, a lot bad and a family "disconnect" in many instances. It doesn't take a sociologist to see this. How many of the folks on this site didn't have a job during summer months while in high school? Very few I guess but what about today's kids? Just one simple example.

I'm glad I grew up when I did and had parents that took the time to point me in right direction (especially when I preferred the wrong direction most of the time!)
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I did follow up with the young man yesterday with a note offering some "positive reinforcement" as they say.

As for today's kids, I'm with those that feel there is a dramatic difference in modern attitudes, some good, a lot bad and a family "disconnect" in many instances. It doesn't take a sociologist to see this. How many of the folks on this site didn't have a job during summer months while in high school? Very few I guess but what about today's kids? Just one simple example.

I'm glad I grew up when I did and had parents that took the time to point me in right direction (especially when I preferred the wrong direction most of the time!)

I agree! I have been trying hard to help my 14 year old find a summer job. I called the blueberry companies and was told that they no longer hire kids to rake because they did not show up and those that did were not willing to work. Even the farmers have stooped hiring teens to help with hay. I find it sad that when I was a kid I had to turn work down because I had to much offered to me and today I can not find any for my son
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

When I was a teen I made up flyers saying I would do anything from mow lawn to babysit to weed gardens or any other chore you could think of. I got alot of work that summer and other summers for my effort. Before we moved in to help care for my mom she couldnt even find an area teen willing to mow her lawn much less any other jobs around here.
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.