vb:literal>

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Disturbing Comments on Maines Oldest Cache

Reminds me of a couple of summertime jobs I had which I hated. One was I picked cucumbers for a company who made them into pickles so they couldn't be any larger than about 3 inches long. Took me over 6 hours to pick 1 bushel and made a total of 50 cents for all that work...LOL. Also picked eggs 1 time at my friends farm and made a total of a dollar for about 4 or 5 hours work. That wasn't too bad but you had to get by that horrible ammonia smell and watch out for all the rats!!!! The Good Ole Days....LOL
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Well, it's been said that we here in Washington County are "behind the times"--even hubby says the move up here from southern Maine was a step back in time! But, this time it would appear that it's a good thing for our kids. Most teens I know have jobs, and I'm in a position to be in touch with the teens in our area. One young man in particular I know started mowing lawns at the age of 12--turned it into quite a business. He bought his first truck with cash, and had quite a savings account going, in the thousands of dollars. He sold his business last summer when he graduated from high school. There are very few barrens around here that still rake, most farmers have turned to mechanical harvesting for blueberries. Kids here aren't looking for raking jobs because they've usually had their "summer job", or in most cases have continued their part-time school year job into the summer, and raking isn't something they can count on now. Most parents I know push their kids, without doing things for them. Maybe that's the difference, I don't know. I don't see what you are seeing. I guess maybe we're just a little more old-fashioned here, and that works for us.

There is a world of difference being "downeast" as opposed to more citified areas....the hubby is from there and we go there as often as possible to visit family still there. The kids are not at all like what we see here in central maine. Count your blessings that at least this time being "behind the times" is a wonderful thing.
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

I'm not sure is all the kids fault either. I've had kids as well as grown ups approach me and ask to mow the lawn or other chores. But who would dare hire just anyone when the liability system is the way it is? When I was a kid if I got hurt working for someone else I went home and my parents fixed me up or took me to the ER (Must have gotten rusty nails in my feet ten times from working around barns!). Now for fear of being sued I'm more likely to do it myself or hire a professional unless I really know and trust the family of the kid I'm hiring.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I have just read ALL the logs on this posting...........So what did the log on the Fort Williams Cache say anyway?! It's been edited!
    Good Gawd; What on earth could a poor defenceless little child have said to incur such wrath? ! And from such respected icons of the geocaching community!

Default Argh

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    I have just read ALL the logs on this posting...........So what did the log on the Fort Williams Cache say anyway?! It's been edited!
    Good Gawd; What on earth could a poor defenceless little child have said to incur such wrath? ! And from such respected icons of the geocaching community!
    Anything a child says is cause for wrath.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    He said he couldn't open it, so he took it home and opened it with a screwdriver. What a terrible thing!
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    He said he couldn't open it, so he took it home and opened it with a screwdriver. What a terrible thing!
    Hmmmm, maybe that's a good idea. I always have trouble opening rusted ammo cans...
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

The screwdriver was the other cache he logged. The Fort Williams one he just said he took home and threw out all the trash in it.

Pat, you need to stay current. This cacher now has his wits back and I've started adoption proceedings so he'll soon be living here. We do what we have to do! Turns out he was the secret love child of Olympia and Paul Lepage! He can't decide if he's filthy rich or living in a storage trailer behind Marden's in Waterville. All the caches he's placed so far smell like they were in a fire!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.