vb:literal>

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Disturbing Comments on Maines Oldest Cache

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Pat, you need to stay current. This cacher now has his wits back and I've started adoption proceedings so he'll soon be living here. We do what we have to do! Turns out he was the secret love child of Olympia and Paul Lepage! He can't decide if he's filthy rich or living in a storage trailer behind Marden's in Waterville. All the caches he's placed so far smell like they were in a fire!

Olympia and Paul? brrrrrr. Now to get back on a different topic.... Teens. That's my life now. I work full time as an officer in a high school and get all of my departments juvenile cases plopped on my desk during the summer. The overall verdict? They are awesome. As for the 20% to 30%, Trust me, it's not that high. My school has roughly 820 kids (4 years ago we were over 900). I deal with the same 30 kids over and over. Heck, there are kids that are so good that I don't even know their names until graduation. The tech aspect is very true, they would rather text than talk, their lives are devoted to the internet, and this generation definetely expects a reward for everything (this comes from years of being told that 5th place is as good as 1st as not to hurt anyone's feelings). But they are smart, witty, motivated and constantly doing bigger and better things. Are the different? Oh yes. But let me ask you guys. If you were a WWII vet, worked hard and raised a kid born around 1950 who was living like a hippy, tuning in, turning on and dropping out and listening to (gasp!) the Beatles or the Stones, what would you think of that whole generation? I'm not convinced that Gen "Y" kids are much worse that the Baby Boomer Generation was at their age. I am convinced that the Boomers produced much, much, much better music. It must have been the mushrooms. Of course this comes from a "Gen X'er" and we didn't get the benefit of the Beatles or of cool cell phones. We were stuck with big hair and a Flock of Seagulls. I think we got ripped off.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Olympia and Paul? brrrrrr. Now to get back on a different topic.... Teens. That's my life now. I work full time as an officer in a high school and get all of my departments juvenile cases plopped on my desk during the summer. The overall verdict? They are awesome. As for the 20% to 30%, Trust me, it's not that high. My school has roughly 820 kids (4 years ago we were over 900). I deal with the same 30 kids over and over. Heck, there are kids that are so good that I don't even know their names until graduation. The tech aspect is very true, they would rather text than talk, their lives are devoted to the internet, and this generation definetely expects a reward for everything (this comes from years of being told that 5th place is as good as 1st as not to hurt anyone's feelings). But they are smart, witty, motivated and constantly doing bigger and better things. Are the different? Oh yes. But let me ask you guys. If you were a WWII vet, worked hard and raised a kid born around 1950 who was living like a hippy, tuning in, turning on and dropping out and listening to (gasp!) the Beatles or the Stones, what would you think of that whole generation? I'm not convinced that Gen "Y" kids are much worse that the Baby Boomer Generation was at their age. I am convinced that the Boomers produced much, much, much better music. It must have been the mushrooms. Of course this comes from a "Gen X'er" and we didn't get the benefit of the Beatles or of cool cell phones. We were stuck with big hair and a Flock of Seagulls. I think we got ripped off.
    You wrote what I was thinking . . . every generation can say that kids these days aren't like they were when they were kids and every generation tends to think back and think they had it much harder, were better, more motivated, etc.

As I said earlier . . . the kids I meet in school are generally pretty decent, motivated kids . . . in some ways I think they're better then the kids of my generation as they seem more acceptable and tolerant of folks who are different from them.

Well said.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default You're just saying that.......

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    You wrote what I was thinking . . . every generation can say that kids these days aren't like they were when they were kids and every generation tends to think back and think they had it much harder, were better, more motivated, etc.

As I said earlier . . . the kids I meet in school are generally pretty decent, motivated kids . . . in some ways I think they're better then the kids of my generation as they seem more acceptable and tolerant of folks who are different from them.

Well said.
    ....because you're different.

Actually, I see lots of kids where I work. Some are very well behaved. Others, not so much. It's a pleasure to work with a parent who at least pays attention to what their child is doing. Some parents don't even watch their kids when they are right under foot and getting into things that might be harmful to the child. It's NOT the kid's fault.