vb:literal>

Thread: Travel Bug Question

Default Travel Bug Question

If a cacher accidentally logged dropping the TB in a cache other than the one he/she actually dropped it in and the owner of that cache marks the TB as missing how would one go about relocating the TB where it actually is? A different cacher has picked it up from the cache it was actually dropped in so it is in his possession but he can only "discover" it rather than grab it.

The cacher that has it is going to Iraq but needs to be able to "grab" it from where ever it can be grabbed from?

The person who has it should be able to log grab it form some where else. That should put in in their inventory. If they want to drop it into the cache they found it in so it has the history, they put it into the cache. Then log retrieve from the cache. Then it is back in their inventory until they drop it off.

How about this question?: I picked up a geocoin in New Brunswick last week and it hadn't been logged by the last person. The coin has the shiny rectangle for a number on it, but no number anywhere. When I tried to use the number written on the envelope, the computer says that I have to have the personal coin number to log it. I contacted the owner of it and they don't really remember it. Just leave in a cache and let it be someone else's problem?

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    Just leave in a cache and let it be someone else's problem?
    Bring it to the next event and let other people see it. Sounds to me like it may be an error - missing coin number.

How about this question?: I picked up a geocoin in New Brunswick last week and it hadn't been logged by the last person. The coin has the shiny rectangle for a number on it, but no number anywhere. When I tried to use the number written on the envelope, the computer says that I have to have the personal coin number to log it. I contacted the owner of it and they don't really remember it. Just leave in a cache and let it be someone else's problem?
    Nothing on the edge (rim) of the coin? Is the coin marked Trackable on www.geocaching.com (if so there should be a trackable number somewhere - usually a 6 letter number combo unless really old).

What does the coin look like - that may help too.

Some coins are only trackable on other sites.

Default Back to the original question and topic...

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    If a cacher accidentally logged dropping the TB in a cache other than the one he/she actually dropped it in and the owner of that cache marks the TB as missing how would one go about relocating the TB where it actually is? A different cacher has picked it up from the cache it was actually dropped in so it is in his possession but he can only "discover" it rather than grab it.

The cacher that has it is going to Iraq but needs to be able to "grab" it from where ever it can be grabbed from?
    When you have the coin in hand to have the tracking number and you have control of the coin.

Your options are: retrieve it, grab it, write a note and discover it. Now that being said I have seen this trackables thing have glitches.

Once it is in your inventory you can only discover it, or write a note about it, and of coarse drop it.

I suggest picking a cache, dropping it into a cache, then picking it back up and see what happens.

Don't let these fancy pansy, glorified calculators dictate. When mine start to act up I have a 6 pound ballpeen hammer I hope in my hand and say the words "Work or I fix". Everything seems to be fine after that.

Just don't turn your back on them after that. Always walk backwards like walking away from a rabid dog.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

The one I found is a landsharkz geocoin. I double checked and no number on the rim or anywhere else, even with good eye sight. There is a definite place where the number is usually etched. On the paper insert it says tracking #TB2327c but when I put this in it says to log it, you need to have the personal number. It has a picture of a shoreline and lighthouse and says geocaching PEI's south shore.

Default curious

The one I found is a landsharkz geocoin. I double checked and no number on the rim or anywhere else, even with good eye sight. There is a definite place where the number is usually etched. On the paper insert it says tracking #TB2327c but when I put this in it says to log it, you need to have the personal number. It has a picture of a shoreline and lighthouse and says geocaching PEI's south shore.
    wondering what the owner would like you to do with it since you cant log it? Did they say when you contacted them??
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Even though I contacted them with a good description of the coin, when they answered back, they didn't seem to recognize it. Just like the coin in Ekidokai's other post, the spot for the number is blank and no info on the paper in the coin flap. The thing is, it has been logged many times before while it was traveling through France. Oh, well, it will go in a cache sometime and be someone elses problem. With my dial up, it took a little over 7 hours to log 150 caches from last weeks trip and I certainly don't have time to spend with the dial up trying to access different coin sites or the owners repeatedly.

Smile

Even though I contacted them with a good description of the coin, when they answered back, they didn't seem to recognize it. Just like the coin in Ekidokai's other post, the spot for the number is blank and no info on the paper in the coin flap. The thing is, it has been logged many times before while it was traveling through France. Oh, well, it will go in a cache sometime and be someone elses problem. With my dial up, it took a little over 7 hours to log 150 caches from last weeks trip and I certainly don't have time to spend with the dial up trying to access different coin sites or the owners repeatedly.
    I just wrote them again for you - I suspect they don't know how to find the number if they didn't have it recorded somewhere. It will be on the coin page for them when they open it up. Hopefully they will do that and send you the number (if you are willing to hang onto it for a bit).

Grabbing coins - it now depends on how the owner has it set. With the new changes to trackables, one is able to edit their coin to make it collectible and once you do that someone can not grab it.

This is great if you have coins you take to an event. If one of those gets released or accidentially picked up, you would only be able to discover it.

There is sort of a learning curve to the changes made to trackable options.