vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is GPS terrible with street directions?

Hybrid View

Default Why is GPS terrible with street directions?

I'm admittedly not very high-tech...but I can't understand how my Garmin 60csx is so great at getting me to ground zero, and so terrible at getting me to "Main Street." When I put in an address destination, or choose the "Follow Road" option to get to a cache, it seems to take me in the most roundabout way possible. Often times it'll take me down dead-end roads with the expectation that I'll somehow be able to continue after the "dead-end." And if I miss a turn it'll either re-route me in the most circuitous way possible, or fiercely hold on to the original route that it would have me drive five miles down the road, just to turn around and drive the five miles back and then take the original turn. We wasted an hour yesterday just trying to get to the correct street a cache was on, because the gps had me approach it from opposite directions, each of which ended in a dead end and neither of which led to the cache. I finally found my way there by discontinuing the navigation and figuring it out myself. Am I the only one with this trouble?

Not sure this is what you need, but there are different variables that you can set on the 60 series.

Main Menu > Setup > Routing > (there are three on this page you need to set. I use prompted. Faster time. Next turn pop up - On.) > Follow Road Options (at the bottom of the routing page) (there are 4 items here you need to set for your preferences - Off Route Recalculation - Automatic / Calculation Method - Better Route or Best Route / Calculate Routes for - Car/Motorcycle / Avoid - 5 choices here, your preferences.

Hope that makes sense. If you have it set for something other than car then you get noticeably longer routes.

Please note, this has not been my primary GPS for quite a while, so the setting may be slightly off.

Hope it helps.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

My PN-40 does the same thing. It seems to choose the first available road on the way to the cache instead of the best route. The PN-40 does not have any settings for driving and it has often taken me the long way to my destination.

I found the routing in the PN40 at times quite slow and I gave it a rating of inadequate. My 60 scx with City Nav was very good.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

I agree. It is spot on for hiking but street nav stinks. I sometimes use my Nuvi if I am not familiar with the area.

Thanks for the quick reply! I don't think I set the 60csx for anything...I've just been going on what the default settings have been. I'll try your suggestions Gob-ler...thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ampmdp View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! I don't think I set the 60csx for anything...I've just been going on what the default settings have been. I'll try your suggestions Gob-ler...thanks!!!
    I've always had very good luck with the routing on the 60CSX, except that it occasionally takes us to a "road" that is only passable with an ATV. I agree with Gob-Ler. Check your settings.

I have run my vista csx with City Navigator side by side with a nuvi with the most current updates and the nuvi really is the way to go although it has it's moments as well. Now that the prices for a decent nuvi have gone down to a reasonable price for a mid-scale unit, you might want to try one.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Hehheh . . . and here I thought it was just me and my Magellan which always wants to take me down discontinued, gated roads or roads that are made for Jeep Wranglers -- not Honda Accords.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

It's nice to know I'm not the only one with gps navigation concerns!Thanks for the help everyone!