vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is GPS terrible with street directions?

I can not live without my Nuvi now. I can't say I get lost without it because I can't remember where I'm going most of the time. I do question it's thinking at times. I wonder why it takes me the route it does when we get there. I think it gets caught up in hollering at me and forgets what it is doing.

I have had the opportunity to use many different handhelds. I was never impressed with the navigation on them.

If you don't mind getting hollered at occasionally get a TomTom or Nuvi for traveling. They are the best thing since cigars.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I use a Nuvi for car use and then a handheld Garmin. My nuvi will occasionally tell me to "turn here" when there is no road, just an open field. It did it to me today. Unless there was a cowpath there that I didn't see then there was no road to turn on.

And I HATE HATE HATE that if you go past the turnoff you need it will send you 5 miles down the road to circle back instead of just saying "turn around you idiot, you missed the turn!". I just turn and let her (my son named her Dora) recalculate.

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by JFamilySebec View Post
    I use a Nuvi for car use and then a handheld Garmin. My nuvi will occasionally tell me to "turn here" when there is no road, just an open field. It did it to me today. Unless there was a cowpath there that I didn't see then there was no road to turn on.

And I HATE HATE HATE that if you go past the turnoff you need it will send you 5 miles down the road to circle back instead of just saying "turn around you idiot, you missed the turn!". I just turn and let her (my son named her Dora) recalculate.
    If I can see that's what she's doing to me, I just turn around and head back. Mine as tried to send me on a road about a half mile from my house that used to be there. MANY years ago. Then we were coming back from a caching adventure above Wilton and I told it to take us home and tried to follow it. Nothin doing. One road it wanted us to take was little more than an ATV path and since we were in JustPJ66's mother's car....and more importantly, M-I-L was in the back seat behind me....we opted not to take the goat path the Nuvi wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by JFamilySebec View Post
    With my Nuvi, Tools - Settings - Navigation - Avoidences, I can uncheck the U-turn option, and Lola will just tell me to take a U-turn when possible instead of taking me miles down the road to find a turn.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Good boy Brdad. That is what I was going to say.

Another thing with the Nuvi that I am doing now is looking over the maps for the roads it has picked. I noticed that the shortest route is not the best, but the quickest route isn't much better, so just look at the route on the maps and you will see the way. Then if you want to let the thing take you the right way put a wavepoint or two in and it will follow the right route with out all that hollering.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Done. Anxious to see how this works now!

So your's is "Lola" huh Brdad? Dora is, of course, named after Dora the Explorer. If it was a male voice I'm sure it would have been Diego. Instead that is one of our cats haha!

One thing I've really used on our Garmin 60csx on this current trip is the "find" feature: find cities, find addresses, find lodging, find FOOD!

RULost2? is going shopping with #1 son tomorrow, while I go to Missouri for a few caches and "other stuff".

Mapping software is GREAT!

I call mine Hiram . . .
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I call mine Hiram . . .
    Ah, you must have a Magellan. No idea where it is, not able to find an ammo box if it thinks it's looking for a micro.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."