vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protocol for Adopted Caches

Default Protocol for Adopted Caches

Is there any kind of protocol for how one would maintain an adopted cache? We're in the process of adopting some that have been around since the early years of geocaching here in Maine and I'm wondering if there's any reason why we shouldn't replace containers that may be beginning to show signs of their age?

We'd stay in the same range of sizes if we "update" the containers... certainly not by replacing a regular with a nano.

I say treat it as if it were a historical cache of your own - if you think the cache could be improved upon with a better container, then it makes sense to do so.

IMO it would be nice if the hiding technique remained similar, but that is not necessarily critical either. I also prefer when the previous hider is mentioned either in "placed by" box or in the description, but ultimately it's all up to you.

Kudos to you to want to preserve some of the classics.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default In the works

We've contacted the owner, who has been very busy of late. He doesn't get up to where the caches are anymore and hasn't done any caching in eons. I e-mailed him the steps he needs to take so that we can adopt. Might take a bit since he's been so busy and caching is far from a priority for him at this point. We've found two of his three caches and the third is actually the closest one to the house but it involves a climb and Pam (JustPJ66) has a bum knee that kinda keeps her on more level terrain. When we get the adoption process completed, I'll probably make the climb alone most of the time. She might make one, just to say she's been there.

I have adopted 2 caches and I left the original owners name in the "A cache by" field and added (adopted by Fins_Up). I replaced one container that was in bad shape and I am in the process of replacing another that was missing when I adopted the cache.

Default It's done.

Got all three adoption requests today when we returned from grabbing yet another LT Kayak Cache FTF so I'm in the process of editing the cache listings just like you did yours, fins2right. I'm leaving the original cache owner's name there and putting (adopted by JustKev and JustPJ66) in there. We're both really excited to be maintaining some of the oldest caches in the state. Although they certainly aren't the oldest one, they rank right up there close to it.

I don't change anything on the cache page. I leave it just as it is. The name stays the same and the hiders name stays the same. If you click on the owners name mine comes up as it should, but I don't need my name to be displayed on an adopted cache. It looks better as it is.

Pocomoonshine Package
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I've made additions to the cache descriptions by adding dated notes at the bottom. I haven't changed anything in the original listing other than to remove a related URL Web Page link.

the url that was removed was to a page that the former owner used and it no longer existed.
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Default Miner

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    I've made additions to the cache descriptions by adding dated notes at the bottom. I haven't changed anything in the original listing other than to remove a related URL Web Page link.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPJ66 View Post
    the url that was removed was to a page that the former owner used and it no longer existed.
    Little things like that are of no concern. I like the original feel of a long standing cache.

A newer cache is a different story.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Without "newer caches" you never get "long standing caches" - just a thought here.