vb:literal>

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: frustrating...

Default frustrating...

I have recently had someone log about 6 of my caches and write, "too many muggles about to sign the log - TFTC." I noticed they have done this on others caches as well. They have "found" more than 300, but not hidden any. They have been caching since 2005 (from Mass.) Now, I usually don't like to delete logs, but isn't it an essential part of the game to ACTUALLY SIGN THE LOG?!? (OK, I know, people can play the way they want to, but if you are not going to sign the log...don't tell me in your online log!)

Agreed. It states right in the guidelines the logbook is supposed to be signed and it's the cache owner's responsibility to validate the logs.

I would risk a muggle seeing me log the the cache than claim the find without signing it!

This is where the old virtuals were great for urban caches.

Send an email explaining (nicely) it's part of caching and he either needs to risk being seen or come back when it's not busy, but he's supposed to sign the log.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

We usually "Write a Note" on the cache log saying we were there but didn't sign the log and that we'll go back to get it later. If we log it at all under those circumstances. We only log caches as a find if we can sign the physical log. We both feel that it's absolutely necessary to sign the log for an FTF.

Default Signing a log

On very rare occassions that I can count on one hand, I have not signed a log. One was a snowshoe hike of a mile, found the cache but the entire thing was frozen in ice in the crotch of a tree and I would have destroyed the cache if I'd take my ski pole to it. I know some would take the dogmatic route and say that's not a find, but I did find it. As is commonly noted, the choice is personal.

But to get back to Jim's post, I think brdad's suggestion to send a PM is fair but the frequency of this cacher's action would warrant a delete in my book.

I'm grappling with a new cacher that has 7 cache finds and 7 "" as logs. I sent the cacher a note and suggested a bit more creativity to recognize the efforts of cachers that place caches for others to enjoy and received a terse note back that I shouldn't be "critical" of new caches. I have yet to delete a log on any of my caches, but I've come close a few times.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I wonder in the case of only logging a smiley - would people rather not have a finder not log online at all or just log the smiley? I have a friend that very rarely logs online. I'm not necessarily happy with short logs on my caches either, but I think I'd rather know the person was there. Of course, I'm not against promoting the concept of writing of a decent log, either!

And that gets me wondering in the case of logging but not signing - perhaps this person has very little interest in the container aspect of caching and instead does it solely for the location aspect, and figures not logging is no big deal. And that does not make it right, there are standard practices that have been in effect since caching started, and signing the log is part of that - but it is just a game.
    Last edited by brdad; 08-08-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post

Send an email explaining (nicely) it's part of caching and he either needs to risk being seen or come back when it's not busy, but he's supposed to sign the log.

Maybe you could ask Chadd to help you write the nice note!!

I’m new and part of the fun for us is to sneak the cache. My wife does a very good imitation of James Bond she’s got them before, while I was watching and I didn’t see her get it. As far as writing in the on line cache I think, even though it is a lot of work for the owner, a short comment or TFTC is sufficient.

And what about when you find nanos (I've found two lately) where the log was damp and full?? And apparently had been full for some time.... I did manage to get an "L" on one (over someone else's log and a "KL" on another but it would be hard to find either.
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

I like to know when someone does and doesnt find the cache personally.....if they dont find it that tells me something may be amiss....so many people we have run into since we started caching dont log DNF's....if they only looked at it as a service to the cache owner rather than a personal defeat. That way the cache owner could know if one person didnt find the cache or if 10 people went and couldnt find it....makes a difference to a good cache owner...maybe the cache is missing or perhaps it needs to have the difficulty level bumped up a bit or maybe someone replaced it in the wrong spot.....and I just love a nice log to read on one of our caches...we have gotten some really great ones....even some with a guilt trip attached in the case of the logs my brother leaves..hehe but it is nice to see even the TFTC knowing that someone found and enjoyed it......(but more would be more pleasant to read) hehe
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

I only had one cache that I didn't sign and logged as found because it was frozen in place under a tree where the ground heaved up and I couldn't get it out. I went back later and signed it though. It drove me crazy until I could sign it. If there are muggles around and I can't sign the log then I don't log it until I can.