vb:literal>

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: frustrating...

I too think that I have only not signed one log because it was frozen in the ground and any attempt beyond the obvious pulling and tugging would have destroyed the ceramic figurine that the log was in.

However you may not be so mad as I am at some cachers from out of state. They logged two caches and the next day the caches went missing. These out of state cachers logged that there were a lot of muggles around. I felt like telling them not to come around caching if they can't be more careful.

I know we have to deal with all types, but it may be long past the time to start thinning the heard when you read logs like I didn't even look for the cache because I saw it was disabled but I was there and I'm going to claim it as a find.

Time to thin the heard, really.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

This is where the whole "let everyone play the way they want to play" theory goes right down the tubes. There is no way everyone will ever be happy.

Still before we react to some of these situations we need to assess just what the impact is on the game. I've been known to speak up on many topics, but I try to reserve my major rants for issues which I feel are detrimental to the sport. I may not always be right in my thinking, but I do try and rationalize my actions first.

To me, someone not logging a cache will not result in the end of caching. It's not the way it was intended, but it's not the end of the world. A nice note and a decent percentage of those will understand and improve. Five nasty notes and that person will react and do something to PO other cachers and talk the game and other cachers down.

It's just a game. As soon as we forget that we end up with people deleting each others logs without a valid reason, removal of caches, and other vandalism and unneeded behavior.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Fine Line

I agree, Dave. There's a fine line there that would be easy to cross for some people in today's world. There seems to be a more prevalent feeling that if you make me mad it's okay for me to seek revenge in any manner I see fit. I would try very hard to weigh the odds that the person in question would or would not be a spiteful person before I deleted a log. I'd rather have a log online and none in the paper log and still have a viable cache. The same goes for putting a log online that is critical of a hide. JustPJ and I logged one a while back that we really had to stew over for a bit before logging. We ended up getting good feedback from the CO on that one but it could have gone either way. We tried to not sound critical of the CO. We were concerned that cachers with children might not want to take their kids to this particular cache because of the trash around the area.

I'd have to delete a log that was rude or had obscenities in it, I think. That kind of thing does not belong in a game where kids might find it.

Random Thoughts:

Sign the log = earn a smiley: I am of the "sign the log to claim the find" line of thinking . . . most of the time. If the log is wet, I'll resort to dropping in my own log on paper or birch bark. If there are too many people, I'll wait them out -- or come back another day. If I can't open the container I'll write on the outside (on duct taped pill bottles or mint tins for example.)

I have also been known to send out e-mails to cacher hiders to ask them to please return to physically sign the log when they have said they did not sign the log . . . and while polite . . . I let them know that I can and will delete their names unless there is some compelling reason for them not to have signed the log. And yes . . . while I don't make it a habit, I have and continue to cross check signed entries on line and in the physical log.

That said . . . I can't think of a single time I have deleted an on-line log entry . . . after swapping e-mails I often find myself agreeing with the cacher's reasoning or to be honest I figure it was an honest mistake or sometimes I just figure it's only a game and not worth losing sleep over.

. . . But there are times when even I fail to follow my own rules: Perhaps this past weekend was such a time. For a good laugh check out the Old Beaver Dam (in Washburn) . . . be sure to look at Hollora's pics of Hiram who went wading in waist deep water for a cache. He found it, but the cache was chewed up, leaky and the cacher owner hasn't been involved in the game for more than a year. We claimed the find, but not only didn't drop in a new log, but removed the entire cache.

I honestly wouldn't have any issue if I was at the point where someone found one of my caches and it was either in such a rough shape or to the point where it would be damaged if they attempted to pry it open . . . and the person was able to prove to me with pics or a clear description to indicate that they truly had found my cache.

Inappropriate log entries: I have asked some folks to edit their own log entries . . . but I would be hesitant to delete the entire log entry . . . in some cases I have edited the log entry and informed the person that I had done so . . . and I explain the reasoning . . . but these are far and few between. I can't even think of the last time I did so.

Now as for the entries and the TFTC entries and the Number X of Y caches generic postings . . . I hate them . . . and I think it's laziness on the cachers part to record such entries as it cheapens the hide and shows that the person really is just looking at numbers . . . but I would not delete the entry.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

You can play the game the way you want to until your actions impact my game play and cause harm to me or the game.

When the police get involved when a cache is placed without permission. When an organization starts picking up caches on publicly owner property or the land they control and a town starts talking about banning caching completely, or caches start disappearing because of negligent actions, this impacts me and the game in a obvious legal and negative manner.

We should not stand for it.

Like I say all the time, if I am doing something wrong or that irritates you, tell me. If you tell someone in a strong and harsh manner they get the hint. Tell me in a squishy feel good politically correct way and your going to get a stupid response and no corrective action on my part.

If we don't take action now and risk offending a few problem cases we are going to loose this sport, and I have put too much time and effort into this to let it slip through my fingers for fear of hurting someones feelings that will most likely never be a productive participating member.

Now there is a difference in placing a cache with coordinates that are a few feet off, not posting FTF right away, or some of the other petty things and causing a cache and trackables that people have put a ton of time and effort into to be stolen because of your blatant disregard and negligent actions, causing endangerment and or harm because you are ignorant of the game.

Take no action or way to little, and this will ll be a bad memory.

If you can't figure it out I'm here to help. Just ask.

Default What Di tells me

" Dan, you don't have to be the 'geocaching police!" Like others that have chimed in here, there's a lot of inconsiderate things that one can do while geocaching and let's face it, there are folks that just don't play nice. A couple of times I have been tempted to delete logs but have yet to do so. When is it appropriate to delete a log? I'm not real sure but I've found that by sending PM's to cachers with bad attitudes that most can be turned around. I continue to have a strong disdain for serial logging but understand that some cachers just don't know how to type, but I think a lot are just counting their own numbers and are too lazy to put a little thought to their logs.

So I bite my tongue a lot and put sincere effort into maintaining my caches and putting out positive logs.

Life's too short to get overly wound up about our game.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I hang around with the wrong crowd. I know a lot of people that are illiterate and afraid of computers. That's not what makes them bad people though.

I see my share of cereal loggers. Petty interpretations of what people think should be logged in their caches. If the person has no imagination or ability to appreciate their surrounds then a cereal log is all you can expect.

A wise man once said "you can't fix stupid." But a wiser man has said "accidents happen"

"cereal" - like Cheerios and Lucky Charms or "Serial" - as in killer?!?

If I had to pick one cereal and never have another kind it would be Golden Grahams.

I like strawberry bunches of oats.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."