vb:literal>

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: frustrating...

Save the Frosty Flakes for me. Maybe its time to do a cereal series on all roads with the word milk in them. :-) They could be placed in milk bottles and signed with great thoughts.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

good old oatmeal with some almond slivers and some Cinnamon for me please.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    Maybe you could ask Chadd to help you write the nice note!!
    Sure! I am sure I could get a response out of the charlatan!

Default Middle of the Road

I only have about 25 or so caches out and get about 5 emails a day for finds. The majority are "found with geojohndoe, tftc" Some are just "tftc" and others have a great story involved. To be honest, I didn't realize how many cache owners want a story, and for the first year or so I simply just logged the cache. I now make an effort to include at least a sentence for the owner, when I can. I did receive this log the other day :

[The SeeKPeeKRs have been spending part of their summer vacation for the past 16 or 17 years hanging out at Mrs. SeeKPeeKRs's uncle's camp on North Pond. We started geocaching at the end of 2004. Since then, every year before the SeeKPeeKRs travel north, I check to see what caches are located near North Pond. At first there weren't that many caches. Though, "vacation cache" (GC8573) and "N1SDR's" (GC14A8) have always been there for us to find. There are many reasons why it has taken 5 years for the SeeKPeeKRs to attempt to find these caches .... one reason was the lack of information about how to access these older caches. It is lucky for us that the past two years have seen an explosion of caches in the area. The best line in this cache's listing, "After grabbing N1DSR's (GC14A8) I noticed that quite a few people have had problems finding the correct parking area for this cache. I decided to help out." Yes, this cache really did help the SeeKPeeKRs discover the right path to finding both this cache and "N1SDR's."
    Today, K SeeKPeeKRs, myself, and my mom (2 weeks shy of her 70th birthday) set out to find this cache and "N1SDR's." Using the hint, I was able to quickly find the cache. TFTC!]

Other than the fact that they REALLY like to put their geoname in a log a lot, I thought this was nice. And for those who want to come up to the area, it's an ammo can in the woods!!! As is my latest cache "Lets try this Again" GC2BWMQ Repeating: AMMO CAN IN THE WOODS!!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Default The "good" ones

There are plenty of cachers that put effort into their logs and most at least put a "thanks" on their logs. I think Bruce once said that the length of his log is directly proportional to how much he and Teresa liked the cache. I think that's a very accurate statement, but it's also clear that some cachers just can't bring themselves to say anything about the caches they do. For those folks, I guess it is ONLY about the numbers and nothing else. So why don't they just put down the number and leave it at that?

I'll say it again, there are a lot of cachers that don't place caches and if they did they might find just how much fun it is to read enthusiastic logs. Maybe this is why Groundspeak is promoting Nominating logs.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    There are plenty of cachers that put effort into their logs and most at least put a "thanks" on their logs. I think Bruce once said that the length of his log is directly proportional to how much he and Teresa liked the cache.
    Not only that, but the length of our log entries are usually proportional to how much effort the cache owner put into the cache. A 'drive-by GRC" gets "TNLNSL TFTC", while a nicely located, well stocked ammo can might get a paragraph or two.

If the log is full and/or wet, we probably won't even waste one of our "WhereRWe? and RULost2? found this cache" stickers! LOL!

I've had this related thought as the last few posts on my mind for a few days. And as a disclaimer this statement is not meant to imply that anyone's hides are of lesser quality.

IMO logs length and content have less to do with cache quality than it does with what the cacher experienced getting the cache. If as a hider you really want to do your best to insure better, longer logs, hide caches which most of the time will force the finder to have a better, longer experience. A unique container, a tricky hide, nice place, nice description, nice spot, more than one thing to see, longer time to complete (short walk, multi, anything to slow the hider down) all contribute to more of an experience. You can hide a cache at a decent location and if the cacher takes less than a minute to get out of the car, log the cache and get back in, how much of an experience can anyone have? Don't rely on the finder to have the experience, force it on him!

You may get less finders on hides like this, but if you're looking for better logs, you don't need those in it only for the numbers doing your caches.
    Last edited by brdad; 08-15-2010 at 06:14 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

you mean a nice log like this?

Log Date: 8/15/2010
    We are on an 11 night adventure exploring New England states for the first time as a family. After visiting Bath/Brunswick and Camden areas yesterday, today we headed south and stopped at Freeport, ME. Friends of ours told us last year about this fun town and we just had to put it on our list of stops since we were so close. This was our first cache in Freeport, and it took us to a wonderful place! It is great to hear that LL Bean is giving back to the community by creating this park and skating pond for everyone to use. If it was winter, we would have loved to try it out, but today was another beautiful, sunny 80 degree day in the Northeast. CM made a quick find of this, walked away and then made the huckle. One by one we all found it, and DCM was the last to find it on this one as the other three are getting very good at throwing him off track! Thanks for the fun way to start our day in Freeport! malonefamily, Geneseo, NY

Quote Originally Posted by TeamHorwich View Post
    you mean a nice log like this?
    Yes, that is a very nice log. I saw several logs by this family on their travels through their state and it looks like they are great loggers - not that your cache was not worthy of a decent log - but they obviously take time to experience and remember the caches they do. Some of their log was focused not so much on the cache but their trip, which I think is fine especially when out of your normal area. I wish I could be half as inspired in my writing. I seem to do enough here in the forums, what's so hard about a cache log?
    Last edited by brdad; 08-16-2010 at 07:59 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Confused - What's a huckle?