vb:literal>

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: frustrating...

Default Unlogged (online) Finds

Is anyone else frustrated by heading out of their way to grab an unfound cache (both for the FTF and to give the hider a log on a new cache) only to find that someone signed the physical log yesterday....or even the day before...and then hasn't logged it online? Don't cha just hate that?

Default Used to be common

When I started caching way back when it was common thing. It has only been in the last 4 years or so that the FTF race has gotten so prevalent. Folks could be in an area on vacation and not do their logs till they returned home. So it could be a week or so in some cases. No one thought much of it.
    Happy Trails!

Default I DO hate that too!

While I know a lot of cachers don't chase FTF's, some do and I've been known to get a few...119 at last count but who's counting, and I think it's in poor taste to not log a FTF as soon as you can. This avoids having others feigning illness to their secretaries, telling clients the judge just called and wants you in court...now, telling your wife you've been swamped at work but will pick up dinner at Hannaford's on the way home ( the Hannaford's in Bucksport ) or telling an overzealous police officer that an alarm went off near your home and you're just responding at slightly over the posted speed.

These are solid reasons for getting those FTF's logged promptly!

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    Is anyone else frustrated by heading out of their way to grab an unfound cache (both for the FTF and to give the hider a log on a new cache) only to find that someone signed the physical log yesterday....or even the day before...and then hasn't logged it online? Don't cha just hate that?

Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

well we only have 17 or 18 so far....and dont always go out of our way to get them but when a cache has sat for days without anyone going to it ...call me soft hearted but I feel badly for the CO. I know I would just be a wreak if noone came to our caches after a few days...LOL So alot of our FTF's have been some that sat and sat and we just couldnt let that happen for anylonger hehe
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

of course then there is a cache like this mornings cache...only a few miles from the house...ya just GOTTA go for those! hehe
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPJ66 View Post
    of course then there is a cache like this mornings cache...only a few miles from the house...ya just GOTTA go for those! hehe
    Sheesh! This thread is titled "Frustrating". Do you know what frustrating is? It's when 25 new caches are published within 6 miles of your home, and you are hundreds of miles away on vacation! LOL!

I understand the appeal for an FTF, but I find it unsettling that people get upset when they run to find the cache only to find someone has already logged it.

Firstly, if I realized this happened on one of my caches, I would interpret that as "I only did that cache to be FTF, and now somebody else got there first, so it was a wasted cache hunt." I have seen logs posted to cache pages to this effect and I wonder just how the hiders feel to see those logs...

Secondly, Does it really matter what the time frame is if you are second? If the FTFer is leaving the parking lot as you drive in, it's ok, but if he was there 5 hours ago you get upset. Sorry, but I see no logic there. Feel free to try and explain!

The game is not GeoFTFing; FTFs are an added bonus, if you are in it only for FTF and the cache means nothing, you should try another game like drag racing where the intended goal is to be first.
    Last edited by brdad; 08-16-2010 at 05:29 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I understand the appeal for an FTF, but I find it unsettling that people get upset when they run to find the cache only to find someone has already logged it.
    Yeah - I immediately thought of Haffy. LOL!

I think you miss what kev is saying brdad. He did make it rather tounge in cheek after all....he isnt mad someone got it before us...only that it had been found a day or two and not logged online.....we are tickled for anyone who gets the chance to get an FTF they are fun.

Default Sheesh!

C'mon brdad! There's a reason why Groundspeak has set up a link so geocachers can get phone notifications........because it's FUN to be the First to Find! I posted some tongue in cheek comments, but it really is fun to be the first to sign in on a new cache. Not everybody chases them, and I don't very often anymore, but I have a fond memory of coming up a goat path at about 11:00 PM at night and being amazed to see a set of headlights coming out...yeah, gob-ler who's only comment in passing was " You're too late!" A geocaching moment that I cherish.

So, it's fine if you personally have no competitive urge to chase new caches, but for those that do, have at it and I hope you log a few FTF's.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.