vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Kayaker Cachers out there...

Hybrid View

Default Hey Kayaker Cachers out there...

I am wondering if any of you kayaker cachers know of any good spots to get wild elderberries? They tend to grow in wet areas and wondered if anyone has been seeing alot of them lately? right now the bushes are loaded with green to blueish berries and if I can find enough spots...in a couple of weeks when they are ripe enough I want to collect some and make some wild elderberry jam....best stuff on earth!!!

anyway if anyone knows of any spots that have a bunch let me know.

Thanks
    Pam
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

BTW if anyone knows where there are a LOT of them ...it could be worth its a jam payment LOL
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Are you looking for the red or purple ones?
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

purple ones, the red ones are toxic

to tell the truth they both are toxic raw....but the purple toxins cook out...(breakdown in the cooking process). Been making elderberry jam , when i can get the berries, all my life. love the stuff.

How many do you want? Here in PA they are everywhere. We have picked some 50 or so pounds in two stops the other day.

Here in PA they are not in the wet areas, more up above the wet areas on the side hills. You cannot miss the deep purple clusters of berries.

How much do you need?
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

The green bridge just below my house in Abbot has lots of elderberries...I have picked them there for years for a woman who used to live in Monson...she always made jam every year. She has since moved away and as far as I know no one picks them now.

" Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries !! "
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    " Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries !! "
    "be gone or I shall taunt you a second time!"
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

well PA is a bit far to go for jam LOL but it sounds like you hit the jackpot if you got 50 poundsWOW, but Abbot sounds promissing. Where abouts exactly? we went up to the lawnsale and I think that was your house right? cant picture the bridge. Dont get there much...but sure would make a trip for elderberries tho. They are not ripe yet up there are they? Here they are just starting but we can only locate a few scant bushes...the winter salt and the flail mowing has destroyed all the good roadside areas we used to get them at. Oh this sounds promising...got me all psyched now!! hehe