vb:literal>

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown to Eustis

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Actually, My Great Great Uncle Alfonso brought the recipe from Italy when he settled in Cornville where he started selling it from his roadside stand. Old lady Debee got him drunk one night and stole the recipe from him and pawned it off as her own!

And this is how 100 variations of stories get started!

now that gave my mom a good laugh thanks hehe
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPJ66 View Post
    When i told my mom what you said she said quite emphatically "Oh no they didnt!" She says they started in Skowhegan and
    Debees (dont know if the spelling is right) store. She says her mother got it from the old lady Debee who brought it from Italy.
    Yes - Dynamites did start in Madison. I have a newspaper article from many years ago which starts "Sorry, Skowhegan, but dynamites really originated up in Madison" The Article mentions Ersilla Debe of Skowhegan, but also confirms that the dynamite recipe was served many years earlier by "Sandy" DeSanctis of Madson who served it to local paper mill workers.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Yes - Dynamites did start in Madison. I have a newspaper article from many years ago which starts "Sorry, Skowhegan, but dynamites really originated up in Madison" The Article mentions Ersilla Debe of Skowhegan, but also confirms that the dynamite recipe was served many years earlier by "Sandy" DeSanctis of Madson who served it to local paper mill workers.

Dont tell my MOM!! hehe she worked for the Debe's for years. hehe
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Dont tell my MOM!! hehe she worked for the Debe's for years. hehe

AND she would tell you that you cant believe everything you read in the papers hehe

and yet another country heard from http://www.tourblackstone.com/dynamitestory.htm

AND she would tell you that you cant believe everything you read in the papers hehe
    Well, the article does cite MANY people who vouched for Madison - and none who claimed Skowhegan as the origin. LOL!

My article is pretty ragged, but I think it originates from the Waterville Sentinel from the early 90's. I tried to do an online search of The Sentinel's archives, but they only go back to 2000.

and yet another country heard from http://www.tourblackstone.com/dynamitestory.htm
    pretty sure rhode island isnt right hehe

Yeah, but if you look at the recipe, it isn't the same - NO CELERY - which is a key component of the Maine variety. I'd be inclined to believe that Rhode Island stole the name.

(And I'm not an advocate for either town, but the article I have seems pretty convincing... (
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 09-04-2010 at 09:19 AM.

That's just the point. Assuming it came from Italy or whatever country, odds are not only one person brought it from there, and since most recipes naturally evolve, variations are made of them. Odds are there were several and it started in several places after they landed. In reality, it's really pretty hard to give anyone credit here if it came from another country anyway!
    Last edited by brdad; 09-04-2010 at 09:21 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    That's just the point. Assuming it came from Italy or whatever country, odds are not only one person brought it from there, and since most recipes naturally evolve, variations are made of them. Odds are there were several and it started in several places after they landed. In reality, it's really pretty hard to give anyone credit here if it came from another country anyway!
    No - I think this was an American creation - based on the fact that the recipe contains LARGE amounts of celery - not an Italian custom. Anyone who has been to Italy knows that every town has it's own style of tomato sauce, but I'd never seen a recipe where celery was a MAJOR component before I heard of dynamites.