vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need info about trailside camping

I forgot about these spots: http://www.dwecamping.com/deer-lake-campground.php

They used to be primitive, but things got so out of hand, the land owner turned it over to the private management.

Here's another one, but I think it can only be reached from Lincoln. The cache is archived, but the campground is likely still there. http://coord.info/GCJJWV
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Thanks all. I found all the info I needed and they have opening for Labor Day. Yea!!! Now I have to look for caches, haven't been in sooo long.

That is great. I have a cache on the way out route 9 if you want to figure the puzzle. There are even a few primitive no reservation campsites there if you want to carry your gear in 3/4 mile or so. Great spot.

Sounds Easy To Me (GC1VFWZ) by brdad (3.5/3)
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Sounds like a fun cache, but this trip is about riding. Haven't been on the ATV all summer! Hope to find a couple that look trailside though.

Thanks tat, that was the info I was looking for, I figured it out a few hours before your post. Loks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    I forgot about these spots: http://www.dwecamping.com/deer-lake-campground.php

They used to be primitive, but things got so out of hand, the land owner turned it over to the private management.

Here's another one, but I think it can only be reached from Lincoln. The cache is archived, but the campground is likely still there. http://coord.info/GCJJWV
    I just about grew up at deer lake. Back then if you did not have a 4wd you were not getting in and forget about a tow behind camper. That was 30 years ago, my how things have changed

Quote Originally Posted by team barbieri View Post
    I just about grew up at deer lake. Back then if you did not have a 4wd you were not getting in and forget about a tow behind camper. That was 30 years ago, my how things have changed
    Why yes they have, and I was amazed to see folks with tow behinds liked camped into places for like the season.............somehow this just isn't right in my mind.

Can it be changed? I don't know but I hope so................

Default For the Season Campers

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Why yes they have, and I was amazed to see folks with tow behinds liked camped into places for like the season.............somehow this just isn't right in my mind.

Can it be changed? I don't know but I hope so................
    On Township 24 south or Route 9 there's a gorgeous pond called Pretty Pond. The land around it is owned by Cherryfield Foods. They used to let people camp there. The trash (both actual garbage and the campers that put it there) ruined that for any future camping. The pond is available for day use only and you're supposed to have written permission from Cherryfield Foods to even be on the roads. JustPJ and I tinkered with the idea of getting permission from Cherryfield Foods to place a cache at the pond but I'm not sure they'd allow it plus every cacher who saw the sign saying written permission would then be doubtful about being able to go in. It's not heavily enforced and as a landowner/leaseholder on Township24 I don't get permission anymore, until such time as they decide to hassle me about it...then I'll hassle back. The land we own/lease is land we've been on since around 1942. If they hassle me I'll need dubord's help on filing a squatter's claim of some sort. lol

Back to the point - these people who haul in their gear in the spring (as soon as the roads are passable) and then leave it all summer are just jerks.

There used to be a cache at Petty Pond, very nice spot. It was archived in 2004 when it turned up missing. There were a couple others in the area that were archived not long after due to the roads being posted.

The good thing about asking permission, JustKev, is that if you get it you place the cache; if you don't, we know how the landowner stands on the issue so we can hopefully keep others from placing caches there and making us look bad.
    Last edited by brdad; 08-24-2010 at 06:36 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Not surprised

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    There used to be a cache at Petty Pond, very nice spot. It was archived in 2004 when it turned up missing. There were a couple others in the area that were archived not long after due to the roads being posted.
    We're not surprised there used to be one at Pretty Pond. I'd almost bet it was placed by N1NJB before he left the geocaching community for the dark side.